What we eat....

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

What we eat....

Postby Corsi » 16 Sep 2008, 06:47

Having a fissure affects our diets so much...there are so many things we can't eat or drink...or if we do we'll pay for it when having BMs.
I think it would be interesting if we told what we eat/drink, what we avoid, what stool softeners we use, how much/little we eat, etc.
Image I miss pasta & chocolate Image
I eat/drink this every day:
- 1 litre of water with each meal
- 1/2 a cup of coffee
- 1 glass of juice
- 1 small slice of bread with a little cheese and tomatoes
- 4 - 5 fruits/berries like pears, nectarines, plums, strawberries, etc. (depends on the size)
- 15 kidney beans
- 1 avocado
- 1- 2 eggs
- 1 very small pizza slice/grilled cheese (not American size)
- 1 spoon ground and normal flax seeds
- Lactulose with each meal (30 ml. a day)
- Extra virgin olive oil with every meal (30 - 40 ml. a day)
I avoid red meat, coffee, Coca Cola, wine, spicy food, etc.
Have lost about 19 kilos so far...thinner, but not happier though.
Corsica Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Re: What we eat....

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2008, 07:02

I have:3 liters of water a day.1-2 protein bars1 big bowl of all bran buds with soy milk and protein powder5 servings of fruit (blueberries and cherries mostly)Stevia for sweetener1 tub of Cool whip for my fruitStir fry veggies with tofu or beansFrozen yogurt.I probably get about 2,000 calories a day.I avoid, meat of course, alcohol, refined sugar, spicy foods, plus tomatoes and strawberries (burn my anal canal).I take Omega 3 oils every day and enzymes to break down the food.  I have put on 10 pounds so far.  I used to eat about half of that but I can't get better if my body doesn't have what it needs to heal itself.

Postby cherylk » 16 Sep 2008, 08:03

I eat the following:
Bowl of oatmeal every morning with soy milk
Blueberries or banana
quinoa bread (homemade)
whole wheat bread with turkey or chicken
stir fry carrots and squash
quinoa
sweet potatoes, whole grain rice, or potatoes
whole wheat bread
salmon or turkey
squash or baked apples
grape juice
drink ensure throughout the day for extra calories
also take four calcium/mag tables daily
and of course my Miralax usually twice daily
If anyone has any ideas for extra calories, I am trying to put on weight although I am not as thin as I was a few months ago.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2008, 15:13

Wow, Cheryl, you have such a great diet. Do you enjoy cooking? It is tough for me since I am the only vegetarian in the house.

I get extra calories with protein bars. They taste like candy but the ones I eat are high in protein (duh) like 19 grams. I get mine from drugstore.com and they are called pure protein. I like the chocolate chip and the s'mores the best. I also eat a blizzard or two every week and that has added some padding and reserves.

Postby cherylk » 16 Sep 2008, 16:53

I am thinking about trying to start eating desserts. My bone density went down, so I am contemplating what I should change. The verdict is still out on soy milk (it seems), so I don't know if I am getting enough calcium and mag through my supplements and soy milk. There is also calcium and mag in Ensure. Sometimes I really don't feel that I am too thin, but I feel so odd because most people my age are trying to lose 10, 20, 40, or 50 pounds and are overweight. Maybe I can try those protein bars. I don't really enjoy cooking that much. Tonight I am going to have a salad with imitation crab and/or chicken on it.
To health and healing,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby small_flower » 16 Sep 2008, 18:17

Well, my diet tends to vary... but here is what I eat for my fissures.
Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp of fiber sure mixed in
Frosted mini Wheats (6 grams!)
Fiber One apple Cinnamon muffins (these are new, very good!)
Raisin nut bran
Apples
Fiberful fruit leather (available at trader joes, 6 g per slice, yummy!)
Arnolds high fiber bread (5 grams per slice) I use this for toast or PBJ
Mission carb balance tortillas (11 g. per tortilla) good for breakfast burritos and tacos!
Wheat Pasta
Pasta sauce with one tsp of fiber sure mixed in
Whole wheat cous cous
Triscuit crackers
I drink as much water as I can get in. Usually 32 ounces is enough because I drink lots of milk and juice too.
I also take 100 mg of magnesium with dinner every night.
There really aren't very many foods that I avoid. I don't drink coffee, and I avoid drinking to much alcohol at once since I recently discovered it dries out everything down there. Its like passing a lump of granite the next day!
Thats about it!
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Sep 2008, 20:03

LOOKING CUTE AND HAPPY KATE !!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby small_flower » 16 Sep 2008, 20:29

Thank you fissy! :)
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby juney » 16 Sep 2008, 22:14

my typical diet is oatmeal w/ blueberries and 2 packets of sugar for breakfast, fruit for snack, pb&j on whole wheat toast w/ some more fruit for lunch, and then veggies and maybe some pasta for dinner. i like to splurge on ice cream every once in awhile...it's my weakness. i used to drink alcohol like crazy, but haven't had a drop since mid-july....my longest span w/o it in 8 years!!
since surgery i've been eating oatmeal or bran cereal for breakfast, fruit salad w/ yogurt for lunch, and vegetables for dinner. i also drink tons of water throughout the day. my dr suggested adding some kind of protein, like fish, with dinner. i've lost 8 pounds in the last week since surgery for some reason.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Sep 2008, 22:46

Very nice fissure friendly diet Juney : ))) !!! Adding a fish or small portion of chicken with a lot of veggies is absolutely OK. Alcohol - well - stay away from it girl - not good for you in any amount, shape or form and for anything - why would you have so much of it : (, maybe this fissure saved you actually from that poison , gosh Juney - anything more than one glass of anything is really not necessary or needed : (((. Please take care of yourself !!! I am proud of you now that you are staying away from it and giving your butt fair chance to heal : ) !!!
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61