What we eat....

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: What we eat....

Postby pinky » 17 Sep 2008, 05:32

great diet everyone!does the fibre content decrease if we drink smoothie with the whoe fruit instead of eating it?i think it does decrease but not sure how much.shud we avoid too much protein for fissure?why is red meat bad and shud we avoid it completely?i used to eat lamb but stopped now.
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2008, 06:29

I think if you use the whole fruit for the smoothie fiber content shouldn't be affected. You could always ass a scoop of fiber powder. You do need protein to help heal but most people get plenty. I think meat can slow down your digestion but a good source of protein is necessary to aid in wound healing as I am finding out.

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2008, 07:06

Breakfast- Every morning porridge with wheat bran made with water topped with a little milk and one kind of fruit - here I take acidophilus one capsule
Lunch -usually homemade soup– lentil or vegetable with brown/multi/grain bread/ sandwich or oat bran cakes , followed by an apple a day keeps the doctor away !
Dinner –white meat or fish or pure veggies into couscous or brown/rice/ pasta or potatoes with skins be it baked, or boiled, I try to eat alteast 2/3 veggies at dinner - here I take evening primrose and omega 3,6,9
Red meat once per week now - used to avoid it but now i believe i need it for the health benifits and eggs once week
Supper – is more cereal usually weetabix made with water topped with a little milk
Before bed moviocl / mirlax one sachet
I drink water with every meal and orange juice with dinner
Sometimes smoothies if I need that added boost !
I drink 6-8 big glasses of water per day
Drink about 3 cups of tea – and pee quite a bit !!
Snacks - I munch on fibre/grain/seeded bars, sometimes deserts like fruit crumbles , My downfalls – Love flapjacks and chocolate !! So more fruit when I feel guilty about the chocolate !
I avoid white bread, white pasta, should avoid white rice! I avoid cheese but have a nibble every so often, cream ice/cream, spicy foods and stodgy cream cakes and pastries and junk food !
I don’t drink milk apart from my cups of tea and topping for cereals, I used to love hot chocolates but they are a no no now !
I don’t eat convenience foods and make everything from scratch!
I love food Image

Postby pinky » 02 Oct 2008, 12:44

Breakfast-2 slices of wholemeal bread with jam/cereal
1 glass of fruit juice

Lunch-small portion of white rice with ghee,veggies/spinach/egg/chicken
yoghurt

Evening-2 glasses of fresh melon juice
wholegrain cereal bar

Dinner-1 slice wholemeal bread,veggies/salmon/chicken/egg
yoghurt
I drink 3-4 litres of water.
movicol before bedtime.
Is small portions of white rice fine for fissure?what about cantoulope melons?noodles?i miss indian food,chinese and pasta.i eat bland food and im getting bored of it.is it bad for us to eat powdered almonds?
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby val » 02 Oct 2008, 14:22

I know that diet is important, so perhaps I shouldn't say this, but my personal experience is that if you have a normal good diet with fruit and veg every day, and dont eat to excess, then a little indulgence now and then wont hurt. I had a curry (only a mild dansak-nothing fiery!!!) last saturday and it was the first for over a year and........and nothing! It didnt make the slightest difference. (I know that fissure gremlin is waiting there for me now!!) I spent nearly a year eating exactly the same each day, yet there's no difference now I've changed it a little. I have always had a healthy diet anyway though! I dont really do convenience food or "rubbish" - except chocolate!!
I cant see that powdered almonds would do any harm Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2008, 15:01

Thats right Val i agree with you...she says eating chocolate digestive Image

Postby Corsi » 03 Oct 2008, 01:25

Maybe you are right Val....as Kim said in another thread, CRS are not very preoccupied with diets. I have never been asked about what I eat, they have only told me that I should drink a lot and take stool softeners...but I know a man who who was told that he had to change his diet if he wanted to get rid of his fissure (he has had a fissure for about 10 years).
I only know that if I eat certain things I will get problems next morning, and especially when my fissure is active.
I have also experienced that if I indulge in something one time and then go back to my fissure diet it will be OK, but if I do it 2 - 3 days - hell is loose for me.
I agree with you Val, the key thing must be to have a healthy diet with fruit, vegetable, fibre, etc., and then maybe som indulging isn't a problem.
I have eaten some dark chocolate the last days and it has been OK, I have heard that something sweet is actually good for the digestion...?
I'm not as much on the computer now, have problems with my eyes when I spend too much time here. It migth be that I use another computer as my portable one is dead or that I have new glasses....
CU Chocolate girls :)
Corsican rain
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby val » 03 Oct 2008, 02:22

I'm sorry you have problems with your eyes Corsi. Hope you find out whats causing it!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 03 Oct 2008, 07:10

Dark chocolate is high in iron too :D it is suppose to be very good for you in moderation of course :D
Image I have problems with my eyes too when I spend too much time here Image
Hope the new glasses help with your eyes, Maybe i should wear mine !!

Postby happyass » 03 Oct 2008, 13:11

my other half eats dark chocolate every night!!! and it ain't in moderation either. and still, he is thin as a razor blade! Image
i feel like a big fat blob! i thought for sure getting my invisalign braces would help me lose weight but now that i have been comfortable with them, i eat as i please Image
and when i got my pug, i walk him every day, i thought that would help me shed a few pounds...not!
and now that i am almost done training for the marathon :Gareth:, i think drinking all this gatorade, stays in my system for days, making me feel very bloated and full and just slow and disgusting. i did 23 miles on wednesday, and i haven't felt fatter in such a long time!!!!!! Image
i have reached fat ass proportions!!! i am miserable. don't fit in my regular clothes. i don't even fit in my fat clothes comfortably.
it's also my job. i hate it. although it's not entirely evil but i hate it and i eat there to compensate with my feelings of not being there.
has anyone tried the alli diet stuff? it's expensive. i just wish i had more time in the day to exercise and cook macrobiotically again.
i feel very disgusting!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74