Whats the problem?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Whats the problem?

Postby small_flower » 03 Mar 2007, 21:40

I dont really know what the problem is.
I have been trying to drink around 4 glasses of water or other liquids every day, and I usually get 20 grams of fiber a day, but for some reason, things just arent flowing the way they should.
The last thing I want is to screw this up, and reopen my fissure. I dont want to have to go through surgery again, and it already is itchy and I am worried that I may have retorn it again. How do I know if I did?
I imagine it would hurt a lot more, but still. Do you guys have any suggestions of what else I can do?
I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and start exercising....even though I hate it :sleep:
Other than that, what's a girl to do?
kate
p.s. havent seen my CRS for my follow up yet, he got scheduled to do surgery the day I was supposed to see him. I have yet to reschedule but I'll let you guys know how it goes.
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Whats the problem?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Mar 2007, 08:46

Things just are flowing...does that mean you're constipated?
If so, for how long?

If the worst happens and you *do* tear the fissure, I can't see why that would mean more surgery. It would simply mean the fissure would have to heal again, but now that you've had the surgery, it will be healing and not just sitting there growling and causing pain. In fact, there shouldnt be much pain involved if you re-tear. (hopefully)

Try prunes or some natural laxative..catalopes often will get things flowing, too.

Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2007, 09:23

Hey Kate,
I was wondering how you were doing! I've got some suggestions for you that I hope will help!
This has kind of been my fool proof way to make going to the regular and easier.
Drink about 64 ounces of water a day. If you aren't sure how much that is you can measure it out into a pitcher and then pour from the pitcher until it is done. Or since you are on the go make sure you have your water bottle with you. Keep filling it up at school from the water fountain so you don't have to lug around all these water bottles.
The recommended daily amount of fiber is 25-35 grams. This is how I get it:
AM: All Bran Buds with Soy Milk-I try to avoid dairy and think soy milk actually tastes better. You can get regular or vanilla. I prefer the refrigerated kind. You can also put some in a baggie and munch on them if you are on the go. I still don't love the taste but I do add some stevia sweetener and its pretty good that way.
PM: Stiry Fry veggies (broccoli, bell peppers, really whatever you like) and serve with brown rice. After it is cooked add 1 tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil or more to taste.
I also take acidopholis supplements to keep the digestive tract healthy. If you don't like flax seed oil you can get it in a capsule form. Also fish oil in capsules works well too. I actually take both to make sure I am getting all the essential fatty acids that I need because it helps with inflammation, hormone balance and healthy skin and has heart benefits too.
I take Fisol fish oil capsules because they digest in the small intestine rather than the tummy so you don't get those fishy burps and aftertaste.
The fish oil or flax seed oil keeps the poop kind of slippery so it doesn't scrape coming out.
Are you having any pain or bleeding? How was teaching?
I don't know that exercise is terribly important at this point. I know some moderate exercise like walking can keep things moving better. You probably get exercise walking around campus and I am sure those first graders keep you hopping!
Everything is going to be fine-it won't get to how it was before!
Take care and try to relax over the weekend!
Lecia

Postby happyass » 04 Mar 2007, 09:27

kate,
i don't recall if you have IBS or not, but the recommended daily fiber intake is between minimal 30 grams and awesome 40 grams.
yes, please clarify if you are constipated or what exactly is going on with the texture of your BMs.
i thought this was one of the good web site info pages about anal itching:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anal-itching/DS00453
this page is the same but it flows better:
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00453.html
don't get anxious.....everything is going on fine!
patience is one of your ingredients to healing Image
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby small_flower » 04 Mar 2007, 12:34

Hi all,
Well, what happened was, I usually go to the bathroom in the morning, and I hadn't had my BM all day, so i was waiting and waiting and waiting, and it finally came. It wasnt painful, it was just....bulky. It wasn't hard or anything, it was just bulky, like i said, and so, it was a bit harder to pass. But I got up this morning and had the same type of BM, but no pain or blood or anything.
That seems to be the type of BM that I am experiencing right now, soft but bulky, and therefore harder to pass. It has also caused the itch to return, but I think that keeping the area dry is going to be a big thing. I sort of stopped doing that, and I should keep on.
I dont have IBS, thank god, but my first CRS (the one I didnt like) told me i needed 20-30 grams everyday. I guess he was wrong. Big surprise there. :roll:
So i guess I wasnt really technically constipated because I did end up having my BM. I guess I just sort of flipped. I think I am going to start taking the fish oil or something, because my parents already take it for the good fats, and it says "no fish burps!" right on the bottle. Thats something everyone can appreciate eh? I'll try and add more olive oil into my diet too. :)
64 oz of water seems like a LOT. I will try to aim high, but who knows. I cant leave my room to pee every 10 minutes while im at school. Its too bad im not in a kindergarten class. They have bathrooms right in the classroom!!!
As for my little crumb snatchers (thats what I call the little ones...hehe) they are fine! This week was sort of hectic because we had a snow day, and then two delays, and the whole schedule got messed up. When the routine is disrupted, the little ones are a bit more hyper or just....confused. So, things were...a bit crazy but okay. Your right though, they keep me on my feet most of the time.
Oh well...thats the story for now folks. I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you all for the suggestions. This place has been such a blessing for me.
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2007, 13:59

I get kind of nervous if I don't have the urge to go to the bathroom in the morning as usual. I start thinking...Oh no, I am constipated!!! But sometimes it is just late in coming, :lolflag:
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Mar 2007, 16:30

Your description make me feel a little better. I think yu're gonna be fine. That is similar to what happened to me after my surgery....but it was RIGHT after my surgery that I couldn't really go. The first solid BM felt like it as the size of a cruise missle. I gave in and strained hard...REAL hard (though I knew I shouldn't)

The next three or four BMs were almost as bad.

But, still, I didn't retear! What you're describing sounds milder than that. And given that it's beeen a little while now since your surgery, you are more healed down there than I was.

Just keep in mind that things are still quite different with your plumbing up there right now. It's still gonna be some weeks before things get baclk to normal..

If it was me, I wouldn't drink too much at work, and try to catch up later in the day...I have taught high school and know that bathrooms breaks don't always come easy.

Kim
Deleted User 5