2nd opinion

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

2nd opinion

Postby juney » 25 Jul 2008, 09:37

so i'm finally doing it...i'm going to see a new dr this morning to get a 2nd opinion. this dr is outside of kaiser so i'm paying a crapload of cash for a consult exam, but i figure i better do it before i go in for another surgery w/ kaiser.
i've been miserably uncomfortable for the past few weeks so i'm just hoping i can make it thru my classes in august. i plan to have surgery to "clean everything out" in september, when i'm done w/ full-time classes. still waiting for a date for that. i don't really understand how the surgery will work. i guess she'll just excise the whole unhealing area and let the fresh skin start healing from the bottom up. but the wound is within the folds of the anus, so i don't see how it'll ever heal and be normal. i imagine it's something like cutting out a fistula and letting it heal fresh, but i have no idea.
hopefully this new dr will be more compassionate and gentle and can give me some more insight. i'm nervous as hell. i'm definitely asking for a child size anoscope so it doesn't rip me to pieces. anyway i'll let you all know.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Re: 2nd opinion

Postby lars » 25 Jul 2008, 10:30

Hi Juney
Sounds like a very good idea. Always nice with a 2 opinion. I will have one myself.
If you are going to have a "fistula" operation it is not a big deal. I had very little to no pain afterwards. This may sound crazy to you but maybe a diltation is worth a shot in your case. I had a "mini" diltation when I had fistula surgery and felt great after. Then the stools will have more space coming out. I helped in my case.
lars
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2008, 10:34

I am happy that you are going to be able to see someone out of your network for a second opinion. I think doctors all in one system treat things similarly so getting out and seeing what is out there will be invaluable. Best of luck!!!

Postby Fissulyna » 25 Jul 2008, 12:43

Best of luck Juney !!! You deserve a break already : ( !!! Don't be afraid of surgery - sometimes we have to "jump start" our body to start healing. I hope my new CRS will suggest surgery - it is the worst feeling when nobody suggests anything and expects you to just "learn to live with it" - it makes me more upset than any other proposition : ( !!!
Keep us posted and all the best ! When is your app. with new CRS ?
We love you too !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 25 Jul 2008, 14:58

i hope everything went well today juney and that you got some promising plans of action, whether they involve surgery or other alternative ways of healing.
keep your chin up!
hugs, happy
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2008, 15:18

Goodluck for Today Juney....
x

Postby cherylk » 25 Jul 2008, 16:30

Hope the appt went well, Juney. Be sure to let us know.
xx
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby juney » 25 Jul 2008, 18:13

well i really liked this new dr. he did a thorough exam with a SMALL anoscope and was very gentle and really listened to everything i said. he didn't make me feel like i'm a baby for being so sensitive to the pain, like my other dr does.
he said it looks like a "small, simple fistula" which is what i've always felt deep down. he wasn't able to use use a probe to determine the tract and make sure b/c it was very painful, but he said it's inflamed inside and there's a bit of blood coming from somewhere inside so odds are it's a small fistula and there's bacteria trapped in there, and that's why i keep seeing the pus on the outside. he gave me some recta-gel to use to keep it clean and hopefully promote some healing. i'm supposed to mix that with neosporin and apply it inside and out 3 times a day. he also took a culture of the mucus from the wound and will probably start me on cipro and flagyl next week depending on the results of that. i have another appt set for 2 weeks from now. he's hoping the gel and diligent cleanliness will help since it's so small, but if not then i'll go in for a simple fistulotomy. since it hasn't healed itself for over a year now i'm sure i'll end up needing surgery, but i was already planning on it anyway! this'll be my 5th surgery in 14 months, not all anal related, but depressing at my age nonetheless.

also, i didn't dare ask how much it would cost....i'm sure it'll be in the high thousands since i'll be paying out of pocket. i'm a student now but even if i was working i wouldn't have that kind of money. it sucks! but i feel really comfortable with this dr and i'm sure i can take another loan out or something. so no major decisions yet, just gonna see how things go and keep my options open w/ both drs. :)
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2008, 18:44

I am glad that the appointment went so well. He sounds like he understood your pain. Maybe the ointment will clear it up but it sounds like you are no stranger to surgical procedures.

Maybe you can contact his business office and see about setting up a payment plan. Most places don't even charge interest. Can your family help you out since you are in school?

Postby Guest » 26 Jul 2008, 10:59

Hi Juney
Thats a great start :)
I am glad you like your new CRS it makes such i difference i know :)
Either way i am glad this will be sorted out for you - hopefully without the surgery :)
Take care
x