Advancement Flap Surgery

A place for informstion and to help others who are having or have had this surgery.

Return to Advancement Flap Surgery

Re: Advancement Flap Surgery

Postby KerrBear » 19 Mar 2009, 18:08

Well I go back into the doctor tomorrow morning. My concern is that the flap has stitches in it and for the past week I can look and see the stitches and can tell that there must be alot more inside the rectum. Now today when I looked because the blood came back and there was more pain than normal I saw NO stitches on one side of the flap and the other side looks fine. So either the stitches dissolved, doubt it, or they fell apart. I have big holes on that side too. So---I will see tomorrow. Until then I am back in bed with my dogs! Kerri Image
KerrBear
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Mar 2009, 19:07

Hey Kerri sweetie - I can completely understand your frustration Image . I had a BIG hole on my anus where my CRS cut off my skin tag and I thought it will never ever heal and that it will make even bigger fissure looking like that Image . Thankfully it healed without any problems (KTW), but for couple of weeks I was freaking out , that is for sure : (.
Of course, when we do not know what is supposed to happen and how, we worry at any change in "developments" down there and it is not our fault . We are not surgeons and we do not know how the anus should lok like or behave after the procedure and most of the times we are not given detailed explanations of what to expect and n what time-frame Image .
I am so sorry that you are experiencing this little set-back now and of course it is worrisome Image . But even if it comes to the "worse" - he can put new stitches ! I was actually surprised that he let you go home same day - anywhere I read they said that after flap patient should be hospitalized (probably to be fed via IV) to promote healing and for a graft "to take". But, in the USA, patients are just "wheeled out" and dumped on the curb side as soon as they open their eyes Image and given single peace of paper with ridiculous list of instructions . I am really surprised how many actually survive LOL !!!! And than that famous : "Call if experiencing any "unusual symptoms" - like we know what USUAL is Image :
Oh, Kerri, I wish I know more about flap and how it actually heals : ((. Yes, take a lot of rest and cuddle with your pups Image and I am sure tomorrow will bring you answers !
BTW, if it helps at all - you look so pretty on that photo Image Image : ))) !!! It always makes me happy to see a "real " person behind the name Image . You have to get well ASAP to dance again and have fun, dear Kerri !!!!And you will !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Mar 2009, 20:27

Good question! Would the stitches dissolve in just one week? Good thing you are going back tomorrow. Is it a two or three dog night?
Deleted User 5

Postby KerrBear » 19 Mar 2009, 21:48

Funny! If you could see me this week I have been in PJ's and t-shirts. Today I actually put on a real blouse and shorts and my husband about fell over saying he didn't recognize me!
Yes- here in the USA they kick you out of hospitals faster than anywhere else. Even thought it was day surgery I bet it will still cost thousands of dollars and lots of calls to my insurance company too.
I swear people have babies and within 12 hours they send you home!! My cat had an overnight stay in her hospital to get her claws out and I get rectal surgery with a million stitches and get sent home 3 hours later!!!
The thing about where the stitches came out or dissolved is in a place where I was perfectly normal and no fissure!! So now a perfect part of my butt now has a hole where it shouldn't be! Oh well all answers will be given to me tomorrow. I will let you guys know.
I have 2 dogs, female chihuahua and a male beagle. Both look at me strange when I leave the bed. They love sleeping with me. :D
KerrBear
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 20 Mar 2009, 07:58

Hey Pretty Kerrbear !
Sorry to hear of the problem with the stitches and bleeding , hopefully your doc can shed some light for you today !
Then you can get back to healing Image and getting yourself back on that dancefloor !
Great photo Image

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Mar 2009, 09:57

That's funny! I may be getting a chihuahua puppy soon, and one of my last dogs was part beagle!
Yep, you don;t stay in a US hospital long these days, and it seems they show you the door faster and faster every year! As for vets, hah, they try to keep those little bundles of fur as long as they can!
You'll be dancing around again soon!!!
Do let us know what you find out today, KB!
Deleted User 5

Postby KerrBear » 20 Mar 2009, 12:05

Ok- I am fine. The doctor said what I have happening was normal and expected. I told him maybe he should have let me know that BEFORE the surgery! He said that he created a y shaped flap into my rectum and the stitches were supposed to dissolve and create a large gap. He looked and said it looked just right. He said that I will experience some pain for about 3 days because there is a raw opening and it will scab up. The purpose of the flap it to create the rectum opening to be larger to get rid of the spasms and stop fissures from forming. So I guess the raw gap will grow into my rectum...Anyways- I have another week off work next week and he said no yoga for 1 month and do not lift anything over 15 lbs. He put me back on my pain meds and back to bed for a few days. So all is well..again...I think. He drew me diagrams etc. and I asked a million questions. So I fell comfortable with my "Raw Gap" right now! Image
KerrBear
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Mar 2009, 12:16

Raw Gap! Where I go to buy all my produce-inspired jeans! Image
Well, that kinda surgery is a bit over my head, but as long as the doc's happy with your progress, sounds great. Did he reassure you about the bleeding as we have tried to do?
Maybe I should go ahead and trademark Raw Gap as a band name? :)
Hopefully, the LIS will have already gotten rid of the spasms, have you had any since the surgery?
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Mar 2009, 12:53

Phyewwwww Image Image Image !!! That is GRAT news Kerri Image !!!
What is interesting is that I had that "gap" on my anus that I called "black hole" LOL and my CRS also told me that by leaving it to close "inside out" will give me "extra fold" and make my anus less "boa constrictor"-like LOL !!!
I know that Raw Gap looks scary Image - but it will heal in about 6-8 weeks max. Now, what is important is to keep that gap free of BM debris Image ! I used Q-tip to clean it after soaking - let me tell you, it helped with healing a lot !!!!!
Best of luck and take rest as much as you can. It really makes a difference too and people tend to ignore that part , unfortunately : (((.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby KerrBear » 20 Mar 2009, 14:07

Back in bed- back on meds...I was told to expect lots of blood and pain for about 3 days since it is raw and then it will heal and I will start to feel better. So the dogs and I are back in bed. I am glad I already took another week off of work. I cannot imagine standing on my feet 8 hours teaching middle school kids! I talked to the DR. about the spasms today and he actually told me to expect a few but as it heals it will go away too. I do not seem to be having a problem with them anyways. Image
KerrBear
Salt Bather