After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby owieher » 30 Sep 2012, 21:36

Great thread, as I've been looking at the archive. It seems like it takes about 2-3 months. I read how pus discharge is the body cleaning the area, which is good. Blood on the other hand is something diff't.
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sood » 03 Oct 2012, 02:34

hey all,
i had a surgery on saturday, 29th sept 2012. There is still pus in the area and keeps oozing out. Clear the area gently with cotton. I do sitz bath thrice a day and after each BM.
The biggest thing i am afraid of is BM, the first day bm were quite ok, didnt hurt that much. second day onwards they were quite sticky and very little quantity, sticked to the wound and pained a lot. I developed a fear of bm and resulted in a bit of constipation. I dont how others did it, i am now trying to defecate in the hot water tub itself, trust me its quite comfortable than otherwise. just clean up the things and take a sitz bath in clean water again afterwards and a bath.
Lying on bed for last 4-5 days, my legs and back is aching very much these days. walking is not comfortable at all, cant stand properly and dont stand much at all except for walking to the bathroom. any one any ideas how much its going to take before i can walk and sit properly without pain?
The painkillers and antobiotics and lactulose as advised by the doctor is going to end tomorow. Any ideas should i continue them or not? Visiting the doctor just to ask this is going to be painful. I have been advised to see the doctor after 2 weeks!!
I hope it all get well soon down there!
sood

Postby owieher » 03 Oct 2012, 10:40

sood wrote:hey all,
i had a surgery on saturday, 29th sept 2012. There is still pus in the area and keeps oozing out. Clear the area gently with cotton. I do sitz bath thrice a day and after each BM.
The biggest thing i am afraid of is BM, the first day bm were quite ok, didnt hurt that much. second day onwards they were quite sticky and very little quantity, sticked to the wound and pained a lot. I developed a fear of bm and resulted in a bit of constipation. I dont how others did it, i am now trying to defecate in the hot water tub itself, trust me its quite comfortable than otherwise. just clean up the things and take a sitz bath in clean water again afterwards and a bath.
Lying on bed for last 4-5 days, my legs and back is aching very much these days. walking is not comfortable at all, cant stand properly and dont stand much at all except for walking to the bathroom. any one any ideas how much its going to take before i can walk and sit properly without pain?
The painkillers and antobiotics and lactulose as advised by the doctor is going to end tomorow. Any ideas should i continue them or not? Visiting the doctor just to ask this is going to be painful. I have been advised to see the doctor after 2 weeks!!
I hope it all get well soon down there!

You should always finish up antibiotics as prescribed. In terms of the pain killers, don't take it, if you don't need it.
May you ask your doctor how long it'll take for drainage to completely go away?
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sood » 04 Oct 2012, 01:55

yeah owieher, already finished the course as was prescribed today. And regarding pain killers, cant do away with them as of now, bm is still a nightmare. Yesterday had bm thrice or 4 times with some loose content and today morning had constipation resulting in pain during bm. so painkillers gonna continue until bm are not as painful.
Talked to the doctor, he said to continue the painkillers, sitz baths and paracetamol in case of fevers.
Feeling some improvement overall, that a good sign, just hope that bm doesnt rip the things apart Image
sood

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 13 Oct 2012, 20:58

I've just found this stream regarding Anal Fistula's and here are some questions I posted in an earlier note today. As I have had difficulty finding answers to some questions. If you can help, please do:
-Has anyone developed an anal fistula from a fissure and do you have any advice if it can be healed without surgery? What were the signals that you had a fistla and What procedure did you have to undergo to know you had a fistula and not a fissure?
-Is puss normal with a fissure? No one has spoken of this anywhere and I've been having puss now for 6 weeks. Not allot but some every day.
-Has anyone had to manually ease part of your bum back in following a BM and if so do you have any recommendations on what may help this condition? I assume it is weak and inflammed veins around the fissure which may also be a source of puss.
-For those who have had Fistulotomy what do you experience as the results of surgery? As you had any re-occurrence of fissurs or fistula's?
Thank you for your insight.
JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby BlackStallion » 30 Jun 2013, 10:27

Today is my 18th day after my 3rd fistulatomy. Infact this time around I had 2 in one go... one on each cheek. The left track is the deeper one though. After 18days... I am still having to pack it with kaltostat and I see stinky pus on the swab even after changing it 2-3 times. The surgeon says.. I am doing well, but he only sees the wound when its clean up with a thorough hosing down with a shower head and bath. I am dead scared of infection as that could result in Op # 4 for me. Should I ask for antibiotics... ?
Also what is a good way to dress it... currently I am going to the GPs everyday and nurses lightly pack it with kaltostat / aquacel and wedge a swab in between my cheeks.. :) and I clean up on my own and cover with swab once myself as well..
Any comments .. welcome!
BlackStallion
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that

Postby mehdisa » 18 May 2014, 02:17

Hello everybody
I had. Anal fissure with pain and some bleeding and white/yellowish discharge.
Finally my CRS said that it becomes to anal fistula and i should do a fistula surgery.
I did the fistolomy surgery for about 22 days before,i have no pain now ,but,i have still discharge greenish pus 2 or 3 times a day in small range.
Do you think that is it normal for me?
Anyone knows how long the healing takes?
I have lots of worry for wound s infection or another opration..
Best regards
mehdisa

Postby Savaici » 18 May 2014, 04:33

H Mehdisa, and welcome!

I believe it is quite normal to have some discharge, but if the discharge has an odor, then you should at least phone your doctor. Here is a little information that might help. I have not had this surgery, but do think your doctor is the best person to talk to if you are worrying:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anal-fistu ... overy.aspx

Best of luck in your healing. Make sure you are drinking enough water, etc.

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby mehdisa » 18 May 2014, 05:33

Savaici wrote:H Mehdisa, and welcome!

I believe it is quite normal to have some discharge, but if the discharge has an odor, then you should at least phone your doctor. Here is a little information that might help. I have not had this surgery, but do think your doctor is the best person to talk to if you are worrying:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anal-fistu ... overy.aspx

Best of luck in your healing. Make sure you are drinking enough water, etc.

Sav

Thanks so much dear Sav for your reply and advise.i really appreciate you
Unfortunately my greenish discharge has an odor.this discharge odor has been with me from the first day after the surgery.
I do not access to my crs untill 3-4 days because he is in travel..
So waitting for others if experienced this problem.
mehdisa

Postby Dewlilly » 18 May 2014, 13:20

Hi mehdisa I had discharge after my fistulotomy and seton were done and it smelled the whole way through ... I did not have an infection or anything and I was told the smell was normal as it's the infected fistula track dissolving basically ... I had pus discharge for the whole 6 wks after the surgery and then once the seton was removed another week and a bit it leaked .... If the area is red around the wound and warm and painful more so then normal that would mean infection also ... But my discharged smelled too from day 1 ... Hope things settle for you :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 1