Back from "Surgery"

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Back from "Surgery"

Postby Guest » 13 Oct 2007, 14:30

Just a quick update,
Came out of "surgery" only to be told that they didn't perform an LIS or fissurectomy. The CRS told me that my sphincter muscle was fine and that the fissure was not very deep. All things I told him before he insisted it was time for surgery!! He did cauterize the fissure and my butt feels like hell, but atleast I didn't need any pain killers beyond the hospital. So my CRS tells me it's back to conservative treatment...I felt like crying. I kept telling him that I've been anal retentively following conservative treatment for the past 5 months.
The best thing about my whole trip to the hospital was the the anasteseologist really did a number on my mouth. I didn't realize it until I got home and the pain meds wore off, but he damages the top and back of my mouth and the back of my top lip. Needlessly to say, I'm pretty hot about that.
I guess I need to just focus on Lecia and Happy Ass' luck with conservative healthing. I'm glad the board is here for that type of inspiration.
I'll let everyone know how successful the "cauterization" is with the fissure. Still no BM....and I'm dreading it.

Re: Back from "Surgery"

Postby Guest » 13 Oct 2007, 14:40

Well, good grief. That is disappointing after all you did to get to the point of surgery. I don't understand why he couldn't have determined you weren't a candidate for LIS before making you go through all of this.
But, maybe the cauterization will help with the fissure and he saved you from an unnecessary procedure. I guess if for some reason this doesn't speed up healing you could look into botox but I bet this will get you over the hump.
I am sorry your mouth is messed up as a result too. Maybe you can get some Cepacol and numb it up. Do you have anyone looking after you?
If for some reason you don't go today or tomorrow I did want to say I think milk of magnesia seems to work better if you are constipated already and miralax seems to be better for keeping this soft once you get going. At least that has been my experience after surgery.
Let us know how you are doing.
Lecia

Postby juney » 13 Oct 2007, 15:02

that is ridiculous! i guess it's reassuring for you to know the fissure's not that deep...although my surgeon says trying to "measure a fissure" is pretty pointless when you're in pain. who knows.
i've always wondered about cauterizing the fissure. hopefully you'll have some healing success with that!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby happyass » 13 Oct 2007, 15:39

well the good thing is that you are now over your procedure chris. it may not have been the procedure you thought at first but perhaps this was best.
i hope the cauterization works out as it should really. it should bring in some new healing.
now this is the time to test all your fissure knowledge and how to conservatively treat it.
i wonder how you would rate the level of discomfort post-surgery.
i still don't understand completely what happened to your mouth but that is unfortunate. a complaint to the hospital would be essential.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby happyass » 13 Oct 2007, 15:41

chris, also you may want to check out an acupuncturist who also treats with herbs. this may help internally how your body's digestive system is working and improve it along with how your BMs come out.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 13 Oct 2007, 16:42

Thanks everyone for the words of motivation.
The pain scale wasn't really bad, but I am a little reluctant to do things even though the CRS said have at it until there is pain. I'd say right now, 2 to 3 on the pain scale, but I'll let you know after the first BM. They have my butt packed with a foam plug and bandages.
The anastesiologist hurt my mouth by either being careless with the tool he used to place the breathing tube in my mouth, or by letting his intern do it. HINT, HINT on anyone having surgery, when you meet with the doctors before the surgery be sure to ask if they will have the intern participate in any way.
The unfortunate thing is that I was on the best healing track I have ever had since this started 2 weeks prior to the surgery. The .25 Nifedipine really helped. I guess my real issue is hard tipped BM's and clinching down to much when it comes time to pass the BM. The Nifedipine really loosened things up and I was finally having complete BM's. Also eating oranges with my fiber first thing in the morning really helps....thanks to whomever suggested that. I guess it's time to get back up on that horse. I know these next two weeks will be tough, but if I can get back on track I hope to start my final decent into healing!
Lecia - I will take you up on your advice. I actually think I'll be good tomorrow morning. I've been having those..."I need to go, but not quite yet moments all day." My pattern is in the morning, so I think it will happen tomorrow morning for certain. If not, the MOM it is!

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2007, 20:38

I had the same thing happen. I've had this bleeding over ten years now and had a couple dr.s actually see the fissures..but the surgone told me, mine wasn't deep either and he couldn't figure out where my pain was coming from...How stupid I felt..I started to cry..But he DID the surgery anyway to get rid of me.! I didn't have anything weird at the hospital..I had a spinal so nothing in my mouth..sorry for your pain though.

Postby happyass » 15 Oct 2007, 07:55

hey noelle, so after your surgery how are you feeling today? are you healed? do you have any bleeding here or there? and how about the pain?
hopefully if you can chime in with those answers, it will help chris out to think about things in the future if the cauterization isn't enough, although i think it may put him on the right path to healing.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 15 Oct 2007, 12:37

I'm curious too Noelle. I've explained to him multiple times that the Nifedipine helped but it just gave me headaches, so I wonder if he was selectively listening. I can definitely appreciate a surgeon who doesn't perform a surgery when he doesn't feel it's necessary, but I can't keep fighting this stupid battle.
I'm really hoping HA has precognitive abilities! I do have to admit HA that after my initial disappointment, I started to think of you and Lecia and knew I could give it another try.

Postby juney » 15 Oct 2007, 14:27

i hear you, chris. i'm tired of fighting this battle too!! even after 2 surgeries i feel i'm in the same place as i was 6 months ago. it's very depressing and discouraging. i guess all we can do is keep up with our diets and routines. :(
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36