Chinese medicine in Canada

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Re: Chinese medicine in Canada

Postby jr2 » 15 May 2012, 20:11

Tanya,
So glad to hear the tag has reduced in size by such a significant amount. That is pretty amazing, actually. I hate that it hurts you, but at least the pain seems to mean something good is happening. I'm so sorry you're having trouble with a re-tear. I've never tried inulin before, but I do feel the acacia fiber has been a major discovery for me, even in my current awful state. Things are soft without being bulky, the way I would get with the psyllium.
I'm so hoping for some good news about your healing with this treatment. It would be wonderful to hear you're done with this awful affliction.
I totally get what you mean about the itching. Just to feel something other than the pain can feel better, like a welcome distraction.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby workingonit » 18 May 2012, 09:03

Hey there,
haven't been to the docs yet today. But thought I'd update anyways. I was incredibly itchy on Wednesday. I don't think the doctor understood (that language thing again Image ).
I think he thought I was talking about the medical tape he puts on after he applies the 'salves'. I have a skin reaction to the glue in the tape so everyday he puts the tape in a different place.
So Wednesday I made sure he understood and he put something on that made the itching go away by lunch time. But I still felt itchy yesterday so I think he applied some of the 'wrong' salve again. Not too bad this morning though. But I felt more pain during BMs and cleaning up, but less discomfort the rest of the time. Still a bit irritated.
Anyways, yesterday he did something that felt like a series of pinpricks and when I said 'Ouch', he said he was letting the blood out. He said the sentinel/scar is much smaller. I don't know as I was too irritated to touch it yesterday and suspect so today too.
So anyways, hopefully this will lead to healing by next week. But I don't want to get my hopes up.
I don't think I like that inulin by itself. It seems fine as an ingredient in the pasta I buy, but as a supplement, I think it makes clean up more difficult.
So I think I will go back to metamcil, but keep the spoonfuls more level/less heaped.
Jr, do you find the acacia fiber makes cleanup more difficult?
I read that some people can have an allergic reaction to acacia, so I was afraid to try it.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 18 May 2012, 14:02

Tanya,
I think it must be really hard to not only be going through a treatment where there is no one for you to compare notes with but also presents language/communication issues as well. Not knowing what to expect and what is "normal" and what isn't just makes things feel so anxious. You're a pioneer! I so hope all this means the process of healing is taking place. Does he say anything about the fissure and how it looks?
As far as the acacia, I don't find clean up to be bad at all. If anything it probably makes that aspect better for me. For lack of a better way to put this, consistency is consistent throughout. Of course everything works differently in different people and you might end up hating it. It's so hard to tell. And with respect to allergies, that's possible, as it is with anything. Actually, both inulin and psyllium have a pretty high allergy profile for a lot of people too. The thing I really like about the acacia is it softens without bulking too much, and there is no taste and no thickening in the glass so it's easy to take. The only thing about it is you have to get the technique down to get it dissolved in water to avoid clumping. It took me a few timess to get it right. I add the dry powder to the glass first, and while stirring vigorously with a fork I hold the glass under the faucet and keep stirring while the water fills up the glass. I also like that it is a prebiotic, which means it encourages the growth and nourishment of good bacteria in the intestine. If you wanted to try it, and you were concerned about your response to it, you could always go back to your full regular Metamucil dose and try out a small teaspoon or even less of acacia to see how it goes.
Hope that helps!
jr2

Postby workingonit » 24 May 2012, 08:53

Well the 'bump' as he calls it (sentinel) is gone he says. I haven't really checked it out myself, been too itchy and irritated. But I think this is the case.
It hurts more again when I have a BM, but less so the rest of the day. So I guess that is what the body builds the sentinel for. To protect or shore-up the area during a BM.
Otherwise I am getting pretty fed up.
He has tried 4 different salves on me and each one makes me itchy. I asked him yesterday if it could be the medium the herbs are mixed in. I don't know if he understood.
But if he can't find me something that doesn't itch, then there's no point going anymore.
I am glad I got the treatment for the sentinel, but I could have saved myself half the cost if I had just done that procedure.
I think I will go back to dilating tomorrow. I am supposed to return to his office on Monday. I will try the salve he sent me home with today and if it makes me itchy again, well I guess I will stick to nothing but the lube I use to dilate, which has aloe vera in it.
I am feeling pretty tight down there anyways.
It just seems to me that it is more of a mechanical thing than something that herbs or whatever are going to make much difference to.
They seem to think the bacteria from BMs exacerbates healing, but I've noticed how effective my mucus glands are down there at pushing out every last bit of poop, as I pat/dab away with moistened tp.
Anyways, no miracle.
I have noticed over the month or so that I have been going though, that many others are helped. I don't know what everyone is going to see him for, but one guy said he had bleeding issues after seeing a western doc. He was 'cured' in a week or so.
So who knows.
I will keep you all posted as usual.
-Tanya
p.s. my mom told me the other week that it took over a year for her to heal her fissure. So we will see.
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 24 May 2012, 17:25

Oh man, Tanya, I'm so sorry. I had no idea when you mentioned itching that it had gotten that out of hand. How disheartening to hear you don't feel much in the way of progress on your fissure. Image
it's so hard to keep picking up and picking up, but hopefully since you were having some success with the dilation before that you will see progress again. And who knows, maybe if you start dilating, all the treatments you've been taking might still have jump started things to give the dilation a bit of a boost?
*sigh
I'm thinking of you so often and constantly hoping for better days for all of us.
jr2

Postby workingonit » 27 May 2012, 10:44

Hey Jr,
I'm not too discouraged. Just tired of it.
I do feel better, and I think I feel a slight improvement each day.
I haven't dilated yet. The latest white salve doesn't cause itchiness. So I am just being careful with diet and trying to stay low on stress. I started taking a Tbsp of olive oil in the evenings again. I've been taking more breaks for myself during the day. Things aren't getting done and the house is a mess, but I do feel less stressed. :)
I was supposed to see Dr. Zhang on Monday again, but I realize now that my period is due that day. So I may put him off a week. I believe I have enough salve for that long. I still want to start dilating again, but after my period.
I have started doing short walks again. Just a half hour and at a slower pace. I keep my strides shorter, like when I walk with my daughter.
My hubby has been extra nice the last few days. I think between my health and his work getting to be a bit much, it has caused some strain in our relationship. Not sure what changed, but it is really nice to have a bit more support.
:D
I get my blood work results this week as well and will see if my iron levels are improving.
cross yer fingers! It's so hard to tell.
I hope for your deliverance from this anguish as well jr. Crazy that such a little thing can rule our lives like a monster!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Sana1 » 27 May 2012, 22:14

Tanya, I'm sorry you didn't get the result you expected. Image As in traditional medicine they can't cure 100% of us... But it's so not fair! And costly! And we do hope for a miracle, especially after trying so many other remedies for such a long time!! Image
Don't stop bugging them, I believe they use hundreds if not thousands of herbs, it's all about right combination. We all respond in a different way to the treatment, so give them a chance to find that formula FOR YOU ONLY, even if it takes longer than standard 2-3 weeks.
I listen to their commercial on our local radio many times a day, it starts being annoying.
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 29 May 2012, 12:06

I went to see Dr. Zhang yesterday after all, since my period hadn't started yet. So after taking a look-see, he gave me a tube of 'Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment', and said come back in a month. Which was fine by me!
My Bm this morning was less painful. I used the new 'bum cream' and it felt a bit like it has menthol in it. I feel pretty good today. Very few twinges while moving around.
I am still tender where the sentinel was, but that is getting better too.
Here's what is in the 'Musk Hemorrhoids Ointment';
medicinal ingredients;
Moschus berezovskii Artifactus 1%
calculus bovis artifactus 1 %
pteria martensii 2 %
borax 1 %
borneolum syntheticum 2 %
zinc carbonate 1 %
non medicinal ingredients;
vaseline
lanolin
I haven't looked up any of it. Which is unlike me. But I figured I didn't know what was in any of the other stuff he used... :)
I am still being pretty lazy. Been watching a movie or reading for a couple hours everyday. I do feel like my stress is down, despite it being that time of the month when my anxiety is usually higher.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 29 May 2012, 13:37

Tanya,
I'm glad to hear you're feeling a little less stressed, especially with the time of the month, and was also really happy to hear you feel like things might be a little less tense with your husband. I think we all can relate to the toll painful health issues take on our relationships, which just increases stress and creates a vicious cycle. As far as housecleaning? Some things just have to be put way back on the priority list, and to me, that's one of them.
I'm glad you're hanging in with the Chinese medicine for now and also really appreciate your posts and updates. You just know I've got to give the new ointment you mention a try if I can track it down somewhere online. Thank you for coming back and sharing.
Watched any good movies lately? I've been watching movies and reading too :)
jr2

Postby workingonit » 29 May 2012, 18:43

Hey JR,
well I remember seeing it on Amazon back when i thought what I had was hemorrhoids.
I read 'the twisted sisters'. But then I started the twilight series. Pure trash, but fun.
I am going to read 'brothers and sisters' next.
I've been watching the twilight movies too and stuff by miyazaki. The ones I won't let my daughter see yet, like princess Mononoke. Stuff I have already seen.
Warning about the hemorrhoid cream... it will make you smell a bit like leaf mulch. Not really bad, but not particularly alluring either :D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP