Fissure for approx 6 weeks

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fissure for approx 6 weeks

Postby Hafzaal » 22 Sep 2015, 13:01

Hello,

New here and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. I've had this fissure now for approx 6 weeks now. It hasnt healed 100% but it is much better than before in the sense that after my bowel movement I may feel a sting for a little while and sometimes not at all. Sometimes randomly at any point in the day it may start to sting for anywhere between 10-15 min and then itll go away. Is this normal? Started epsom salt baths from today and ordered some H-Fissures oil so lets see how that goes.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Fissure for approx 6 weeks

Postby Hafzaal » 22 Sep 2015, 13:04

Also, Ive been contemplating going to my gp but I still havent. Maybe because I want to avoid the headaches from diltiazem? However, that will probably be my next move now.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 22 Sep 2015, 14:02

Welcome to the Forum, Hafzaal! You would be better seeing you doctor sooner rather than later, especially having only had your AF for six weeks you stand a good chance of healing it with one of the creams.

Diltiazem is not known to give headaches as much as glyceryl trinitrate (GTN), which is why that is usually the 'weapon' of choice for early AFs. Another cream/ointment similar to Diltiazem is Nifedipine, both being calcium channel blockers.

Here is an abstract summing up the differences:

Abstract
Objectives: To compare the frequency and severity of headache after topical application of 0.2%-glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) versus 2%-diltiazem ointment in the treatment of chronic anal fissures.

Methodology: This clinical trial was carried out in the outpatient department of all surgical units of the Civil Hospital Karachi from 21st August 2009 to 20th February 2010. Eighty patients of chronic anal fissure were randomly assigned to receive topical 0.2%-GTN (group A) and 2%-diltiazem ointments (group B). Forty patients were included in each group. Frequency and severity of headache were then determined with one week of follow-up. The SPSS version 11 was used for the data analysis.

Results: There were 65 (81.3%) males and 15 (18.7%) females with a mean (+SD) age of 38.79 (+14.86) years. There was a statistically significant difference in headache (30% in the GTN versus 7.5% in the diltiazem group; p=0.02). In two (5%) patients of the GTN group, the treatment had to be abandoned due to severe headache. However, none of the participants of the diltiazem group experienced severe pain.

Conclusion: Headache is common with the use of topical GTN ointment as compared to topical diltiazem. It is sometimes severe enough to compel the patient to discontinue treatment.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Hafzaal » 22 Sep 2015, 18:24

Thank you. I just got the diltiazem prescription today. Fingers crossed!
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby Hafzaal » 25 Sep 2015, 20:22

I got checked by my GP and also went to this TCM clinic and after looking down there they both said its nothing serious, just a little red there. What does that imply? I know I should have asked the GP but in that moment I completely forgot to and communication with the TCM clinic was very limited unfortunately.

My symptoms: No bleeding, itching or pain. However, every now and then I'll feel a little sting that may last anywhere between 10-20 minutes especially after walking around or sometimes after I get up from the toilet seat. It doesn't really hurt but its enough to tell me that its not 100% down there.

I did get a fissure a little more than two years ago which was just horrible and brought me down to tears every time I had a bowel movement so maybe its a relapse on a small scale but not a full 'cut'?

Day 3 on diltiazem now and I know it will take around two weeks to notice a difference so will keep up with that.

Sorry about the long post and I dont expect you to have all the answers for me but just thought I'd ask.

Thank you!
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby Cupcake » 25 Sep 2015, 20:30

Hi!
I just wanted to add, if you've had a fissure before, especially since you said it was bad: I was in the same situation in the beginning of June, it felt like it was coming back. I only had pain once, then nothing for about another month,so I didn't tend to it. Then it hit full force! I am healing once again after over 2 and a half months. So, just be very careful if you've had one before, even if the pain isn't too bad. Good that you are doing Diltiazem.

Best of luck!
Cupcake
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Hafzaal » 25 Sep 2015, 20:56

Thanks for the heads up cupcake!

I don't think I will be able to go through that ordeal again :(

What are you doing to heal yourself? Have you applied diltiazem before? Did it help?

Wish you a speedy recovery! I feel that only us sufferers really know how agonizing this can be.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather

Postby Cupcake » 25 Sep 2015, 21:05

You're welcome!
I know, right? It is so horrible!!

I am toughing it out just using the methods everyone else does- diet, fiber, water, etc. I have not used any of the ointments. I am lucky in that I don't get spasms regularly. (knock wood)

Wish you a speedy recovery as well. It's true. Unless you've had one, you don't know!
Cupcake
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Daisy Mac » 27 Sep 2015, 12:10

Diltiazem didn't give me headaches and it definitely helped. Yours doesn't sound very severe right now, so if you keep your stools soft and use the ointment, I think you have a great chance of healing completely. Just be very careful with your diet, use stool softeners, etc, because I would guess you're extra vulnerable to a serious tear right now.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Hafzaal » 27 Sep 2015, 12:33

I havent been using stool softeners in fear of getting diarrhea. Is that only if you over do it? Currently, I was just having 2 servings of metamucil and lots of water.

Without the stool softener sometimes if I get a big bowel movement I'll notice a streak of blood on the stool and I can feel it pushing it against the wound while having a bowel movement. I guess stool softeners should help with that?
Anyone in particular that you would recommend?

When you say watch your diet, is having grilled chicken and tuna fine? I am avoiding spicy foods and red meat.
Hafzaal
Salt Bather