Fistula has a mind of its' own-surgery may have failed

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fistula has a mind of its' own-surgery may have failed

Postby thefer74 » 15 Feb 2013, 20:17

Hi
I had a fistulotomy among other things done on Dec 18. During the last 2-3 weeks, I noticed some bleeding and alot of pressure/pain. I finally broke down and called my surgeon. I thought that this was part of the recovery. I found out that this should have been healed/closed by now. He suspects that the pain/pressure and bleeding is from a new fistula. He thinks it has formed a new track. He wants to exam me and then possibly discuss going back into surgery and put a plug or a seton in. I see him next week to confirm it. I am somewhat frusturated with this. I did suspect it a couple weeks ago because the pain and pressure felt the exact same way when I had the abscess back in Nov.
I just wish this would heal. I am taking a cruise in July. I do not want to cruise with a seton in. Is there any other options? Should I get a second opinion? Although I doubt anyone will see me because I am under the care of another surgeon (tried w/no luck).
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Fistula has a mind of its' own-surgery may have failed

Postby richibeno » 05 Mar 2013, 10:56

Hi thefer
How are you did you see another doctor
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby thefer74 » 05 Mar 2013, 19:20

Hi
It's funny that you should ask. Things have gone downhill. I saw the original crs who put me on antibiotics for 2 wks. About 4-5 days ago, pain came back along with swelling, bleeding and drainage. It is so painful that sitting, walking and sleeping is very hard. I have talked to my dr a couple of times during the last 4-5 days as he is out of town. He thinks there is another abscess. He also has referred me to his colleague for a 2nd opinion. I am scheduled to see him next week. There is a possiblity that they will do surgery the next day.
The original CRS is going to see me tomorrow and drain it. Not sure that I can handle this and made it clear to him but the longer we wait, more damage sets in.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 05 Mar 2013, 20:01

Oh wow. I'm so sorry to read about all you are still going through! Please keep us posted, ok?
Do you have enough support and help at home with all you are going through? (Am I remembering correctly that you live alone? )
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby richibeno » 05 Mar 2013, 20:06

I am so sorry to hear this .is it the same as last time.
Why do they think it has come back.
I hope they sort it out once and for all real quick
richibeno
VIP

Postby thefer74 » 05 Mar 2013, 20:23

Hi
I do live alone so the thought of another surgery and recovering home alone is going to be rough and scary. I may request to stay overnight.
When my surgeon called tonight, I asked him the same question. He said that there is a chance of reccurance. I have a feeling that he should have put a seton in and let it drain on it's own time. I do know that the fissure never closed or healed after surgery and that left it left it open to another infection and abscess, which is where I am at now. We are not sure why the surgery did not heal the fissure.
I am hoping that seeing this other dr can provide me some insight as to why this is happening. If they are going to do a second surgery, I may ask him to do a colonscopy and rule out other problems that can cause this. This abscess is in a slightly different area. Actually to the left of the fissure. Last one was slightly below the fissure-towards the back. The pain is alot worse this time around. It is around the anus and towards the crack. I can't put any pressure on it. I don't remember it being this painful to the point that I am walking around with tight fists all day.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 05 Mar 2013, 20:29

Hope its sorted soon .mine aches now an then got a go appointment thursday.see what he says I get very anxus
Here's to great healing
Health an happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby thefer74 » 07 Mar 2013, 19:26

Hi
Yesterday, I saw the original surgeon and he can't figure out what is causing the pain almost 3 months after surgery. He couldn't find an abscess. He is ordering a ct scan to check and see if there is a abscess higher up. He also prescribed pain meds to help get the pain down. He said that he is frusturated, so am I. He said that all of his patients had good outcomes and I am the only one.
On exam, he did find another acute/chronic fissure in the same location as the first one. He said it is a new one. I think it is the original one that he never fixed and won't admit it.
All I know is that the pain is way up there. I hurt for hours after going to the bathroom. There is so much pressure and pain that walking or moving is painful. When I had the first fissure, it mostly felt like passing glass. This is a dull but very intense aching. I don't get any sharp pain.
He mentioned doing a LIS to take care of the fissure. I have some serious doubts about him doing surgery again.
I am scheduled to see another crs next week. I am hoping that I can get some answers. I know I am not going crazy. Something is not right.
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 08 Mar 2013, 06:02

Hey .I hope its good he can't see an abscess .it may be the aches all coming from the fissure .was you fistulotomy big did it go through any sphincter muscle .I was thinking if it did does it act like a partial lis and takes away spasms
I saw my go yesterday he said exterialy look fine .but give it some more time .I'm getting a dull ache some times and does feel uncomfortable sometimes .had a little blood on second bm too.so I may see my crs next week
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby thefer74 » 08 Mar 2013, 20:11

Hi
It did go about 1/8 inch through the bottom part of the muscle. I would say about 75-90% of the time, it feels like I am sitting on a golf ball. The pressure and aching is very intense to the point that I have to take pain meds to just sit.
I am seeing a new dr on Wed so I should get more answers. My last one wants me to have a CT scan to check for an abscess higher up. Still waiting for a call to schedule it. If it was truly an abscess, this waiting would have caused major problems. I feel like my crs is grasping at straws when the real problem is in front of him. He didn't fix the original fissure, thus it is still there and still painful and bleeding. To me, it is a no brainer.
thefer74
Salt Bather