Food Consumption

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Food Consumption

Postby Guest » 23 Apr 2007, 23:42

I am having surgery May 17th Image and I am scared of the whole thing.
I was wondering, those of you who have had the LIS done, how long after the procedure you went back to eating anything and everything or if you are still watching what you eat to this day.
Thanks!

Re: Food Consumption

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Apr 2007, 06:17

In about a month, I'd say, you can begin introducing things that you've been missing. In two months, if all goes well, you'd be eating all the things you want to eat. But it can take a year, I have been told, for the fissure to *completely* heal so you would want to eat plenty of fiber, fruits, veggies, during that time. But that would be along with the others things you enjoy.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 06:20

I think you will always want to make sure you are getting enough fiber and water (30 grams a day and about 2 liters of water). But most people go back to incorporating the things they love back into their diets.
What are you missing eating?
Take care
Lecia

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 10:04

I am missing tortilla chips, the occassional hamburger and french fries...
Overall, I think I am just tired of worrying about/thinking about what goes in my mouth.
When I am in horrible pain (like now) I don't even want to eat.

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 10:12

Oh, I am sorry you are in so much pain. I can relate entirely. The pain got so bad that I could hardly eat. I had no interest in food and then I was worried about it coming out the next day.
Yeah, I miss chips and salsa. I love spicy foods but can't really have that now unless I want to pay for it the next day. I think if you make sure you are getting enough fiber in your other meals you should be able to have a burger and fries. But things like chips, nuts and seeds can irritate the fissure since they don't digest all the way down. Also don't eat Luna bars or other granola type bars-those seemed (at least for me) to cut me up on the way out!
Are you drinking a lot of water? What are you doing to help manage the pain? How do you manage to sit through your classes in pain?
Hang in there,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Apr 2007, 11:53

If you don't over do it, a few bites of most any food should not be a problem. It's all a matter of how well it moves through your system. Of course, I have read that hot, spicy foods can feel that way coming out, but I never had that experience. Foods that can remain hard, like nuts, should always be avoided.
It you took a bite or two of the burger, and had a few french fries (just a few) and had plenty of water, fiber intake taht day, I can't see how it would hurt.
But I did find that the less I ate, the smaller my stools were, and the less pain I would have that day. But who wants to starve themselves (NOT recommended!)
Lecia has a good question -- what else are you doing to manage the pain? Your surgery is still a few weeks away...
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 15:28

I am trying to drink as much water as humanly possible.
For the pain, I have some lodicaine jelly that I use, but I have found that using the jelly sometimes burns. I have also been taking two advil and plenty of sitz baths, but that's about it.
Usually I just grit my teeth and bare it.

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 15:37

Yeah, that lidocaine jelly burned me too. You can take 3-4 advil at a time if you don't have any liver disease or other health issues. Two just doesn't really cut it and since it is just short term I would try it. Maybe also try some aleve.
Do you have family near by? How are your classes going? Hopefully you don't have to take Summer classes so you can just focus on getting better.
Do you have bleeding when you go at all? Does your pain last all day? Are you able to sleep at night?
Lecia

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 16:08

I actually live with my family, so they try and comfort me as much as possible.
My classes are alright. It's my last quarter so thankfully I do have the summer to relax. However, I am having the surgery in May and school doesn't let out until a month later and then I am going on vacation during the end of June. So I am hoping that by the end of June I will be doing alright and can enjoy my vacation.
I rarely have bleeding, but my pain does last all day and sometimes I'm able to sleep and other times I am not.
And thank you Lecia and Kim for all your support and advice.

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2007, 16:17

I would bet you feel a lot better by then. This will be a thing of the past. There will be some good days and bad days in between but the good days will start to outnumber the bad.
You will get through this. I am glad you are at home with your parents so they can look out for you. It sounds like you already arranged for your missed classes with your professors?
Gosh, that must be awful trying to study with that much pain. I am glad you aren't bleeding and retearing the fissure everytime you go to the bathroom. Do you strain at all or is it pretty easy to go?
Lecia