How badly does your fissure hurt?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How badly does your fissure hurt?

Postby cherylk » 05 Apr 2010, 11:26

NG,
What concerns you most about having LIS?????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Apr 2010, 11:44

I think the risk -- however slight it may be -- of permanent incontinence plus any post-op pain since I've never had surgery of any sort before. And honestly I think the idea of having a muscle down there cut more than anything else.
If I think about it logically, the amount of fear I have about it really is inordinate. I spent the vast majority of my youth doing dumb things while snowboarding and riding motorcycles, so it's not like I haven't put my neck on the line for far less before :) But somehow the idea of having a rectal muscle cut is scarier than the idea of crashing into a tree snowboarding or taking a spill on a motorcycle. Doesn't make sense, I know, but that's just how my psyche works I guess.
The other concern I have is that I've been told different things by different CRS's. Some have said it looks like my fissure is healing nicely, others have said it looks like it'll need surgery to heal. So part of me wonders, what if I don't actually need LIS and end up getting it anyway? Would that increase the risk of incontinence?
Despite my irrational fears, I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to roll the dice either way. LIS was given to me as an option way back in June 2009, just one month after my fissure started, and I definitely wasn't ready for it then. But now I think it's time to take that leap of faith despite any risks or fears, rational or not. Two years ago I was perfectly healthy and normal, and since that time I've had peripheral neuropathy, chronic chest pain, and the fissure, and it'd be nice to at least have some hope of crossing one of them off the list.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 05 Apr 2010, 13:00

I'm the total opposite, the risk of incontinence doesn't worry me, whats a bit of mess compared to the constant nagging pain of a fissure and that's a small risk btw..
I also did some dumb stuff when I was a youth, but that's the difference, when your young (a kid) you don't worry about the "what if's" it's only when we get older that worries kick in big time, I understand what your saying NG, it is quite scarey having that particular muscle cut but the outcome outweighs the fear for me..
I've also been told that my fissure was or would heal easily on a high fibre diet and that I had nothing to worry about, unyet a different CRS told me that it's looking like surgery is a definite option, who do I believe?
It's really up to you NG whether you take the LIS route, but you've been suffering like crazy for long enough, god knows what kind of impact it's had on your life but if it's anything like mine then i'd take LIS tomorrow, everyday is an uphill struggle and there comes a point where you just want to give up altogether, believe me i'm close.
As you say, 2 years ago you was healthy and normal, crossing the fissure off your list would definitely help, I can't say about your other ailments because i've never had any of them, but how much more can you take?
Whatever you decide buddy, keep us updated
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Apr 2010, 13:53

Yup I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it unless something totally dramatic happens over the next few days. To get anywhere in life you've got to roll the dice at times, and I've put it off for far too long already. My son's getting surgery (feeding tube) this week or next, but aside from that there's nothing really standing in my way now, so I think I'm looking at LIS in May at the latest at this point :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby lars » 05 Apr 2010, 14:12

You have noting to fear NeuropathicGuy regarding the LIS. I have had partial LIS and have total control down there. What you should be afraid off is that they cut to little not to much!
I just wish more muscle was cut since the fissure came back after 1 year. Now I have to push just to angel gas again. I hate my muscle down there!!
lars
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Apr 2010, 15:38

Hey Lars, thanks a lot -- it's comforting to hear that it's really no big deal. I think I'm kind of psyching myself out thinking about it too much :)
Are you going to have LIS again? When my fissure was acute I had a lot of problems passing wind too. Now it's still somewhat difficult but not as difficult as before. By the way you had an appointment coming up this week right?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Apr 2010, 15:41

In unrelated news, I just got back from a surgical consult with my son's gastroenterologist, and he will be going in to the hospital for his feeding tube operation this Wednesday. Two day inpatient stay. If he's 6 months old and doing a feeding tube, I guess I should man up and stop whimpering about a little muscle cutting at 31 years of age :) Ironically my own surgical consult with my CRS is on the same day just next door -- maybe that's a sign of some sort :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 05 Apr 2010, 17:50

Right, NG, think of what your son's has been through so far! But I can really understand your concerns. I think there is an element of risk with anything--surgery, driving, traveling, etc.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Apr 2010, 13:40

Oh my , that is so difficult :( and I am so sorry to hear that your precious baby needs a feeding tube *sigh Image
I wish your little son the best of luck with the it all Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Apr 2010, 05:00

Thanks Fiss, I appreciate the kind words. He was supposed to be admitted for the feeding tube operation in 5 hours at 9 AM this morning but here it is 4 AM and my wife just left for the ER with him since he was having trouble breathing. Not sure what's going on right now, waiting for my wife to get there and to call. I need to work tomorrow so I didn't go with them :( If he pulls through everything I'm never going to whine about having to get some little minor surgery again.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure