How to use nitroglycerin ointment?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How to use nitroglycerin ointment?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Aug 2009, 06:59

NG, in the future, could you just determine if you got it in there by seeing the syringe empty, and maybe wiping yourself to show none had made it outside? :)
Hydrocortisone is really not something to use for fissures, as over time they thin the membrane....need I say more? I agree with Gahgah, now that you have a referral, you can use it (maybe once you have determined if the nitro is working or not)
How did things go today pain-wise?
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Aug 2009, 10:53

Thanks, guys, I've been doing just that, trying to get the nitro in as much as possible and wiping to check if I was able to. It took a little bit to get the hang of using the syringe effectively but I think I've got it now.
Today's pain was pretty bad, unfortunately, had a large hard stool this morning with bleeding and it feels like there's "unfinished business" so now I'm absolutely dreading the rest of the day. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten brave and stopped the stool softeners, it seems that I can't find any middle ground between hard stools and watery acidic ones. All I ate yesterday was a piece of fish and some cereal, too, makes me worried to eat anything at all today.
Still got my fingers crossed, but gotta admit that it's a bit discouraging at the moment.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2009, 11:08

Please make sure you are drinking lots of water! If you are having hard stools still you really need to stay on the softner....my opinion, you just need to find the right one that isn't too much.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Aug 2009, 11:10

Macy is right. :) Stool softeners are your first line of defense with AF. Let's not be stopping the softeners, but it may be a trick finding the right one. Did you ever get the liquid colace and give it a try?
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Aug 2009, 11:16

I actually didn't find the liquid Colace. I checked several stores and for some reason, none of them carried the liquid version of docusate sodium.
The Miralax worked great for me, but a full dose make things watery. So I think today I'm going to try a half dose and see what happens.
Just applied some nitro and am off to work now, throbbing headache, sore bum and all :-) Going to keep the eating to a minimum and overdose on water today!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Aug 2009, 11:24

Well, no need to overdose on water. It can't hurt, but it won't help (IMHO). Your body is only going to pull out X amount to send to your colon, and any excess will be excreted. Just don't ever get under-hydrated, that's the key!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2009, 11:31

totally true! I just know I myself was not drinking enough at all (like two glasses a day!) and it sure didn't help matters.

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2009, 11:32

Oh and I can use Miralax too, but only in half doses....a full dose is well, um Image

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 05 Aug 2009, 11:39

Hahaha I'm glad others have had the same experience with Miralax! The first day I took it, I was happy as heck because it made my stools nice and soft, unlike anything Colace was ever able to do. But on the second day, it just made everything extremely watery and I had to go do #2 repeatedly. I had a nice clean colon after that but boy were things sore elsewhere!
I think part of my problem with Miralax may have been that I was eating a lot of salads and fruits when I was taking it. Vegetables and fruits generally don't agree too well with my GI tract to begin with, so adding Miralax to the regimen may have been too much.
I usually eat lots of fish and rice, so I think for these few days I'm going to try eating that with Miralax. Hopefully I'll be able to find some kind of middle ground, kind of like the Goldilocks stool, not too hard, not too watery, but jjjuuuust right! :D
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2009, 12:23

seriously, you can eat, please don't starve. I lost 22 pounds that way and it didn't have any more effect than eating did. You need nutrition.....your body needs it to heal. I don't mean go all out, but please do eat. You'll learn what processes well in your body and what doesn't.