Husbands Progress

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Husbands Progress

Postby Guest » 29 May 2008, 05:20

Thank you. I will make he stays on the regiment.
Is it imperative that you go to the bathroom at least once a day? I was under the impression just as long as you went and it wasnt difficult to go you should be ok. I dont mean once a week but he is normally not a regular person to begin with and he is stressing out over having to make sure he goes every day!
I figured that as long as he goes and doesnt have any issues going that would be fine.
Melissa
PS-Off to the store for Palmers! Can you imagine the money that we have all spent on different products? And you think gas prices are high!

Postby Guest » 29 May 2008, 06:59

Yer Fiss is soo right , the trick is not to let your guard down, carry on with treatment a good while after :roll:
There are some intresting stats somewhere on the board but i cannot find them !!!!
I think bathroom times are each to your own !
The MOM will probley be making him go more often, aslong as he is having a comfortable time i wouldnt worry.
Melissa, i wouldnt like to think how much i have spent on lotions and potions, the best part is most of them i do even not use !

Postby Guest » 29 May 2008, 10:25

I cant thank you enough. He is not much of a computer person but understands that I have reached out for advise and is willing to try anything at this point.
I know the money with the lotions and potions and even the fiber supplements!
Ok. He was under the impression he HAD to go every day but if he is going and it feels ok he should be fine. Ironically it doesnt hurt him to go just a few hours after he is in pain usually.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 May 2008, 12:16

He most certainly *does* need to go every day, if he can. The longer the stool sits in his colon, the drier it will become and will cause him extra pain when it does pass.
One of the most important "rules" for AF sufferers is to try and go every day if you can, and never, ever intentionally withhold going, because it makes matters far worse.
Of course, if you can't go, you can't go...but remember constipation is probably the leading cause of AF in the first place.
Deleted User 5

Postby mlsohm » 29 May 2008, 18:17

I'll 2nd that Kim!! MLS
mlsohm
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 29 May 2008, 19:42

Those people referenced in the article I read about the new drug for severe constipation-supposedly they only go a couple of times a week or less. They must have hundreds of AF's.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby happyass » 29 May 2008, 20:31

well the important thing is to be able to recognize the onset of when you need to eliminate. sometimes we just get a little urge compared to sometimes you really get an impossible to ignore urge.
it is best to relieve oneself on the onset of those little urges without straining.
back to the days of the indians, they use to be able to BM after every meal. but thanks to today's fast food nation, processed stuff, and just poor choices that are so easy to make, some of us fall prey to the injustice we do to our digestive systems and colons. on top of that, we put off our urges to eliminate on hold and well, there you go.....the living of modern life!
i just want to point out melissa, that we don't mean that he should force himself to go every day but there will be a time when he regulates his body and is more sensitive to hearing/feeling the time to go, then he will do best to go at those times and hopefully it will be on a daily basis - that is the best case scenario.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 30 May 2008, 02:09

Kim - I was under the impression that there are no set rules as to how often is normal.
Once a day is a general rule-of-thumb, but i know this does vary considerably depending on diet, activity, illness.
Some "normal" people may have a bowel movement only once in 2 or even 3 days, others can have more than one BM a day.
We are all different !
I think the main concern here is that one should be having a comfortable BM that is half the battle !

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 May 2008, 02:34

I have never claimed to be an expert on what would be considered normal
or what might be constipative. You will hear different things from
different sources.
Using the word "normal" is missing the point. The stool is drying
out. It is sitting there for two/three days, potentially on a regular
basis? Sounds like a recipe for AF.
I'm only trying to give out the best advice I know to help ease the pain of AF. Regularity *is* discussed in much of the literature on treating AF. It is important, but it is not always acheivable and it is not the same for everyone.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 30 May 2008, 04:26

I would never ever ever knock your good advice Kim..
And I really do hear what you are saying !
By using the word “Normal” yes I am maybe missing the point but all I was trying to say is that “Normal” really is an individual matter, nobody knows our body’s as best as we do and that’s how we can differentiate what defines the norm.
I can only go on my own experiences too and if I have given misleading information to Melissa I do apologise
:roll: