Husbands Progress

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Husbands Progress

Postby Guest » 30 May 2008, 04:31

Whoa guys!
I didnt mean to start a ruckus!
I do understand what you are all are saying. He does usually go at least once a day and usually at the same time but sometimes when that time goes by in the morning he gets all nerved up and then a little while later he goes and goes fine.
Is itching vs pain a true sign of healing? He says he seems to be itching more than in pain at this point.
Melissa

Postby cherylk » 30 May 2008, 04:55

Before I had my constipation prob, I used to go every other day. In fact, I marked it on the calendar because I had a hard time remembering if I did it or not. If the stool is always soft (as it was then for me), I don't think it is crucial to go every day. Now things are different for me, and I really need to go at least twice a day. So, even situations can change for the same person over time. I have read that "normal" can be anywhere between three times a day to three times a week, so obviously there is a range of "normal." For most people here who have suffered through rectal probs, it is probably beneficial to go at least daily so as not to get the situation to worsen. We probably all have a different perspective of "normal" from the general population. Just my opinion, of course.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 30 May 2008, 13:16

Yes, normal range is for "normal people" which we are not any more Image! We better accept that fact sooner than later LOL ! Every day is the best - I go 3 times and let me tell you - there is difference regarding of how many hours is between the poops - even with 3 poops a day Image !!! I am, of course, trying to keep it "toothpaste" consistency at this point Image.
Melissa - itching is definitely better than pain Image , but nobody can predict or know if he is healing or not Image. Just keep up with all the hard work and with a lot of luck he will be pain free soon Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 30 May 2008, 13:23

Melissa -I suppose what I am really trying to say is that getting stressed out about toileting can also make problems worse !!
The body can be trained to eliminate , My consultant told me this years back, he said that routine was the key and the best time to go is supposedly in the morning :roll:
Sounds as if your husband is doing OK :D
Goodluck

Postby Fissulyna » 30 May 2008, 14:00

Tabby, you are absolutely right - stress can do major damage to the whole GI !
Melissa- if he has pain mostly after BM - that it is coming mostly from sphincter spasm and he should try to release it since it halts fissure healing process. The best ways are : warm baths, Nitro and Nifedepine creams, or Botox (beside the LIS).
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2008, 06:12

Hey Jen : ) - I had LIS in December and healed my fissure pretty fast considering I had a fisurectomy too. I felt better immediately after the procedure and went for internal check-up at 9 weeks (end of February) to confirm it closed - and it was ! So, I have to start counting from March- from the time my fissure was closed fully. So, I had March and almost whole April of fissure free life : ) ! Than I became VERY liberal with everything - like I did not know better that one needs a YEAR to heal fully . The day I got it again I was dehydrated from long day of gardening on hot weather, and was carrying heavy stuff and was not eating properly - and did not even go to poop when I felt like going - so when I went I had to deal with big somewhat dehydrated poop that needed some slight pushing and voila- there was some blood on TP : (. I thought it was just superficial and still didn't think much of it, it did not hurt or anything and I also did not panic and did not start with MOM, baths or anything . The rest is a history : (. So, may it be warning to all of the rest - don't assume "it is nothing" -start with fissure diet and supplements and creams immediately and stay on that for a 2-3 weeks to make sure that initial trauma does not get worse !!!!
All the best and thanks for asking
I am responding to this post. So LIS DOES work but you have to continue everything you have done when you tried to heal this without surgery?

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Jun 2008, 14:32

Melissa - When you have LIS you still have a fissure to heal ! It usually needs 4-6 weeks to heal with baths and correct diet. Once it heals it is still sensitive to re injury for about a year or more. Most people do not have any further problems after LIS (about 95 %) , other 5 % do and some still develop fissures for life even with the LIS.
So, I belong to very small % of people who still have problems and are still super sensitive. One of the main reasons in my case is that surgeon was too conservative and did not cut my muscle enough. My sphincter is too tight still and is thus more susceptible to injury.
Melissa, I think that you should try to read all posts and also read some very old posts to get clear picture about fissure and LIS, or you might end up with half info or come to the wrong conclusion. I know it is time -consuming and overwhelming but it is the only way ... I think the best way is to choose one member and go through that case from the beginning to the end than the other one and so forth - skip the small talk and it goes pretty fast actually Image
I hope your husband will heal very soon - it is so nice of you to be his support and believe me he needs it - this condition is awfully draining -physically and emotionally :( - it is very hard to even comprehend how hard it is if one never experienced it Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 02 Jun 2008, 09:52

Yes, fiss is certainly right. After LIS you still do have a fissure to heal. It is not nearly as painful as before, but it is still there. I had a gigantic fissure and it has taken me 12 weeks to heal. I also just had a setback, but I am feeling much better.
I know that I am healing because the big hole that was the fissure has disappeared. I just don't think I am 100% healed just yet.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby happyass » 05 Jun 2008, 21:56

sometimes it doesn't matter what the technical stuff is as long as we believe that its gone and we are doing great and healing, that is all that matters.....
goes back to that body-mind connection that was being discussed in another post...... what you don't know or what you think you know as long as it is helping you, may help you indeed......
kinda tricky....
shhhhhhhhh....just don't tell the fissure :-)
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Jun 2008, 21:09

Melissa -how is your husband doing ??? We hope that all is well and that he is recovering fast !!!
Fissulyna
VIP