Husbands Progress

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Husbands Progress

Postby Guest » 27 May 2008, 15:40

Well it has been a long time since I last wrote. My husbands progress has been improving fairly well. He increased his fiber, lots of water and started to take a tablespoon of MOM each night before he went to bed. A tablespoon turned out to be too much so he then used a teaspoon and has weaned himself down to a half a teaspoon each night.
Does anyone know the long term effects on MOM? The fissure appears to be painfree for the most part but it is starting to itch him something terrible. Is that a sign of healing? I would think so. Oh yes he also runs three time a week and takes two baths a day. This seems to be a very long process but I think he is getting there. Any ideas on something natrual to use on his bottom (Aloe with Vitaman E?) or anything else to substitute the MOM with?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Melissa

Re: Husbands Progress

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 May 2008, 15:58

I can only say that the itch could indeed be a healing itch. If it was me, I would take the MOM as long as I pleased...
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 27 May 2008, 17:33

I too wold take the MOM, especially in that small of a dose, as long as I needed it. In fact, that's exactly what I did. Now that my bum is able to handle firmer poos, I don't need it anymore. I still do take magnesium supplements, though, to make sure taht I am getting a little more than my RDA.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby val » 28 May 2008, 01:28

and flaxseed oil and omega 3 oils or fish oils are good to take- and aloe vera juice too!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 28 May 2008, 03:41

Hi Melissa
Really pleased to hear your husband is on the right track !
The trick is not to come off the MOM to early, he should stick with MOM and good diet for a good while after healing,
I too have the itch, have tried allsorts , from calamine to lanacane :rolleyes:
E45 have a new cream called E45 ITCH, i am going to try this !
Aloe has a nice cooling effect, i am sure this would be fine to use too but not sure it deals with the itch !
Goodluck

Postby Guest » 28 May 2008, 10:18

Wow. This can be a long process huh? What I dont understand is that he can go a week with feeling good and thinking everything is finally healing up and then it starts again (with no change in diet or anything else).
Melissa

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2008, 15:22

Oooooooh yeah - dear Melissa - it takes "the longest time" to heal the fissure and than some even longer to keep it not open again ! Keep your husband on his regiment for months before you start making any major changes , although he should stay on high fiber diet forever and lots of water too and avoid constipation at all cost.
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 28 May 2008, 16:06

Will do!
I think he pretty much knows his fiber intake has to be at a norm at this point. He was using that D (sp) cream and started feeling a little better and didnt apply it 3 times like it said and I think he realized that was a mistake. No issues with the MOM long term though? Again like I said it is a teapsoon once before bedtime.

Postby Fissulyna » 28 May 2008, 21:21

Dear Melissa , many members here use MOM long term now and many were told by their doctors that it is OK. It is of course better if he goes off it eventually but not until fully healed and for couple of months of feeling healed. I think that people's biggest mistake is to try to go off everything too soon (same mistake I made more than once). His priority now is to heal and after that he can try getting off
whatever he wants to get off ; ).
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 28 May 2008, 21:36

excellent news melissa.
for his butt, you may want to buy some Palmers Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E so it can help soothe and heal the fissure and the skin around it. use this application (a thin amount) after you have blown dry the butt.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74