IBS and LIS healing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: IBS and LIS healing

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 May 2010, 19:02

Oh yeah, I should add that after my recent butt surgeries, I've become aware of how little showering/bathing alone actually does for cleaning the anal area. I thought jumping in the bath after a BM and soaking for a while would be enough to clean all the dirty stuff off, but nope! No matter how long I bath, I still have to wipe it well with baby wipes before it's actually clean. Go figure.
One interesting thing that Blondie told me was that soap is actually bad for the anal area, surgery or no surgery. I knew it was bad after surgery, but I thought otherwise it was good to use. But she says nope, it irritates the sensitive skin around that area and generally shouldn't be used there at all, even if you have no anorectal problems. I double checked with the other doc and he said the same thing too. The things you find out when your butt goes haywire...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 21 May 2010, 20:32

I always used cotton balls with Balneol.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 00:30

OMG - my brain is massed up by my butt - very typical Image Image Image ! I meant to say Wakame LMAO , although I did mix some Wasabi with soy-sauce for "dipping" lmao - so sesame and chilly flake came from "sea salad" lmao - anyways - was a bad idea, obviously Image Image
Oh, I knew about a soap LOL - it is big no-no for "girlie parts" too Image - can change a Ph there and cause infections !!!!!! You know - would really skip those baby-wipes Image - they are not good in recovery period since they are not quiet soft nor gentle enough - did you check ingredients ??? :roll:
I would strongly suggest using Balneol instead ! Q-tip is a WAAAAAAAY gentlier than rubbing poor anus with those wipes ! Image I know I used them only once or twice when on the go and when I was completely healed and I got irritation those days from using them :roll:
You can put some Balneol on your toilet paper and gently go over your anus - there is NO need to take off allll of the cream - just enough to "pick up the stuff" and it magically glides Image and cleanses at the same time ! Since I am "up to detail" person LMAO and perfectionist - I did it very precisely . I put some Balneol on one palm and squatting over the mirror take 1 q-tip , dip it liberally in the cream , go gently around , throw it in the garbage, take another one and so forth until q-tip comes off clean and white as a snow LMAO ! You will need about 6-7 q-tips (since you will use just one side) .
Cheryl's method is also nice !!!!!!!!! Soft cotton puff dipped in a cream !!!
Again - I would stay away from baby-wipes for now :roll: - too much friction , IMO Image
You are doing well, NP- no pain killers is a great thing and I want to see that person who said one week after the fistulotomy and or 2 weeks after the LIS and smack him/her over the head LMAO ! Fissure needs 6-8 weeks to close MINIMUM !!! (look at the studies for creams and botox and LIS - when actually healing took place under observation !!!!!). And most of the time 12- 16 weeks ! As long as there is a slightest opening on the mucosa- it will be inflamed and burn and itch and so forth - as it is case with me now Image Image Image LMAO
So - today you maybe are doing better than me Image
Well - sooo-ryyy "Scaredy Butt" - I do not know who canceled LIS at first :roll: Image :roll: , ha ha , but OK ha ha, let me think ...hmmmmm.... how about "McButt" Image
Good to hear that you are doing well budd, KTW Image One more week and you will be back to work Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 00:44

lol ok McButt it is. That one is definitely more cool, and I can use it as my guiding light toward hopefully returning to a life full of yummy McDonald's :)
Thanks for the tip about the Balneol. I'll give it a go. The highly detailed usage instructions do help a lot haha. The baby wipes and even some light wiping with toilet paper actually seem ok. But it'd be nice to have something gentler for sure.
You know the weird thing about my pain is that it seems to come from more inside the rectum. I don't think the anus itself hurts very much, maybe very slightly tender and that's it. The main pain/discomfort is something deeper, from both the surgery side and the fissure side. So yeah, I do think that both the fissure and the surgical incision are still open to some extent.
I'm glad to hear that it takes a while to heal. Every CRS I've seen -- "your" CRS Image, Blondie Image, plus the other CRS I saw recently -- all told me that most people are normal and return to work within 1 week after LIS. I just find that hard to believe. I mean, I guess it can happen, but "most people" doesn't seem realistic to me. I understand that I had 2 surgeries in a row, which probably throws that estimate off a little, but I am just NOWHERE close to feeling or functioning normally... Makes me wonder if I'm just a slow healer or if the docs just tell us the best case Image
Wakame makes more sense lol. Big difference between that and wasabi for people with butt problems! So you've still got the recent thing acting up? Are you going to see your CRS anytime soon? It's great that we have taken ownership of CRS's now -- my CRS can beat up your CRS! Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 01:20

my CRS can beat up your CRS! Laughing

aaaaahahahahahaaaaaa oh my - this really cracked me up Image
Yeap - I will go to see MY CRS June 1st ! Had app for 26th but my hubby is traveling so I do not have a ride Image
I need fresh supply of Nefid . or Nitro and I might let him look at it Image - although you freaked me up with your experience there Image LOL It is just soooo funny and ironic that it all started the day I "checked out" of the forum LMAO - it was like - oh not so fast Fissulyna Image
Oh - I am sure that poor people do return to work - what choice there is in this country Image !!! One can hold one's guts by one hand after hara-kiri and work with the other not to loose the job - who cares Image LMAO With proper pain-killers and small geisha steps - one certainly can drag oneself to the office :roll: That does not mean that person is all dandy Image !!!
Do not worry about "inside pains" - they are absolutely normal ! We alllll felt them - even knife like stubbing occasionally even couple of weeks after the LIS. We all agreed that it is "muscles re- adjusting" LMAO - had no other explanation so we agreed that "that is it " ; )))
MY CRS is a better listener LOL - now your turn ... LOL
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 01:34

MY CRS would DEFINITELY beat yours in a beauty contest so there Image
I'm pretty sure I just had a one-off experience at "your" CRS office. One can't expect an anuscopy to be comfortable with a fissure, so I can't really conclude much from just one visit. Maybe he was just having a bad day, or maybe I was :) I've seen a ton of doctors at this point and can honestly see pros and cons with every single one.
Good luck with your upcoming visit -- hopefully he finds absolutely nothing wrong and things settle down. I think you of all people would be able to diagnose a fissure based on the symptoms, so at least it's not likely a recurrence...
Thanks for assuring that the inside pains sound normal. They were starting to worry me. They range from a dull ache to some sharp pains (sounds like the knife like sensation you mentioned) to a general irritated feeling. They are very random and unpredictable, but do seem more noticeable after a BM. Good thing this forum is around so we can all huddle in a circle and feel relieved that everyone is feeling the same thing lol.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2010, 09:25

MY CRS is the head of a WHOLE department LMAO and maybe he is not "pretty" but is charming, never the less LOL
Meehhh, you know - after 2 LIS surgeries there definitely is improvement down there in the tightness, so fissure might not feel the same Image - although my sphincter is sooo tight still Image - I had to shave down suppository last night to a size of pencil so it would go in AND still had to go very slow and wait for the frigin thing to relax enough to let it slide Image I have a dinosaur sphincter - I tell you !!!! Image Tiny but mighty LMAO But - whatever it is - I will fix it ; ))), this or that way LOL, I have no doubts about that !KTW (just in case LOL)
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 May 2010, 21:22

So you think it might be another fissure? I read your other post where you mentioned that taking some valium helped. What kind of sensation is it? I think when it started, you said it was a burning feeling. Has it gotten worse?
My sphincter must be the opposite of yours. Every CRS I saw -- SF CRS, Blondie, your CRS -- told me that they could feel it spasm. But except for during my hellish acute fissure days, I never had any trouble getting suppositories in there. Weird.
BTW how long do the weird pains in the butt after surgery usually last? Mine are actually both around the anus and also inside. The anus sensation is mostly a stinging irritated feeling. The pains deeper inside come in all forms -- sometimes dull, sometimes sharp. They are more frequent after BMs but sometimes happen for no reason at all. You mentioned that it can be felt weeks after LIS. Do you think it's possible for someone to feel this kind of stuff for more than a month as a normal part of healing?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 23 May 2010, 00:14

I have no idea NP what it is LOL I just know that something is off Image and needs to be checked.
If you had no trouble with putting suppository and they still thought you had spasms LOL - now you can imagine the magnitude of my sphincter strength LOL.
After my first LIS I went to SF for second opinion and was about 3 weeks post-op and was fingered (ouch) and than she said : " OH - he was veeeery conservative , I hope it helps with healing" ! : (( and of course , it turned out NOT to be sufficient cut.
Seven mos later I re-teared and went to my present CRS . When he felt my sphincter he was so surprised with tightness and strength that he actually exclaimed : " Ooooohhh" !!!!! Image When he examined me under anesthesia before the second LIS he told me he could not even feel the scar from the first LIS and that first time in his life he saw a case where sphincter actually COMPLETELY healed back !!!!! Image Image So he used some kind of "hooked" scalpel that tears off muscle strands so they can not grow back together ! Image BUT - I know I got tighter - I knew that long time ago - one can just feel when sphincter is back to full strength. One of the signs was a size of BM , for example. After the second LIS I pooped like construction worker LOL (no pun intended to anybody in construction - just suppose those big strong man have a big poop LMAO). Mine got than thinner and thinner over the time and I have to push hard for gas to escape LOL- it is tight, all right - no doubt about that Image It is just that I hoped that the area regained strength and would not "brake" ever again and if it does - that it would heal faster due to LIS. LIS should be "long term" insurance ; ))) !
Sensation - just like you have now LOL - prickling and burning. Nothing bad - maybe 1or 2 at the worst, most of the day gone. Starts immediately after BM Image BUT - I am satisfied with a look of the anus - skin tags are small and color normal.
Answer to your question:Weird pains can last as long as the area is healing - 2-3 mos ...And yes- with no reason at all. You can sit and read and have a stubbing pain or try to stand up and get a pang or stand in the kitchen making a coffee and have a stab
Image out of the blue Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 May 2010, 00:34

lol actually I would think construction workers would have pretty big poops too :) Actually I would guess that professional athletes like football players and baseball players probably have the biggest poops of all hahahahaha. I don't think there are any studies on this so we'll have to assume these assumptions are correct Image
I have one last "is this normal" question. Last one for now, I promise. After LIS, did you ever have a kind of wet, raw, irritated feeling (not really painful just really annoying) in the rectum? I often get it after a BM or when I've been passing a lot of gas. In fact I've had it all night tonight. I think I also have more discharge when I have this feeling. I think it's from eating a lot of fiber and causing loose stools and gas to irritate the rectum but I'm not sure.
If you are having problems with suppositories after two LIS surgeries then yeah, your sphincter must be made of diamonds or something. Sounds like you're trying all kinds of therapies -- ointments, suppositories, exercises -- over this next week until your appointment then? Did you ever have hemorrhoids before, maybe that can cause some of the burning? No diet changes at all?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure