Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby cherylk » 23 Oct 2012, 20:30

That is nice of you. I did the same thing for my endodontist after my recent root canal. Happy for you with your good report!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 26 Oct 2012, 02:15

3 weeks post-op update
- Everything seems to be getting better :D
- I went to the gym to play basketball. I played 2 full court games. I got out of breath easily and feel out of shape (compare to what I was before the surgery)
- I really don't feel any pain after playing basketball. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Doc said at this point to ease into things (even somewhat heavy weights) if I feel ok.
-I was able to ride in the car using the heating pad with little discomfort .
- I am able to sit for a while now and feel very little discomfort (although I still try to use a pillow on wooden chairs
- BM have been perfect for a few days. No pushing at all needed
- passing gas seems almost back to normal. I can tell things are a bit looser back there than before. However, I can only think of one time in the last three days when I thought it was gas and it was a bit more. However, I felt it in time and stopped without an accident. I use lactaid; however, I still had a lot of gas earlier today. I tell the kids, "The doctor told me to just let it out and not to hold that stuff in".
- I have a little itching at times back there and have been using the Balneol which seems to help. I haven't tried the coconut oil; however, I sure eat a lot of it (so maybe it makes it way there anyway?)
- I'm getting around pretty normal now. I went shopping and while my son still helped, I can do most things by myself now.
- I'm not using any pads for leakage at this time. If there is any its very minimal. Instead, I just clean frequently just to make sure. No more hair dryers at this point in time.
- Not really in pain after a BM for the last day or two. Some irritation, a little discomfort after, and maybe some burning. And of course, each BM is a bit different. But, all my BMs have been almost perfect softness, volume, thickness lately. None were too large or thick. No straining at all has been needed. I guess its about 3 days since the last really painful post-BM experience.
- Not really taking the Colace anymore. Just still eating some soft fruits (just not as much as before)
- I am still drinking a good bit of water, tea, coffee, milk, orange juice and eating frequently
- Not taking any sitz baths in the last couple of days. However, if the burning returns, I will surely jump in the tub.
- Definitely skipped the step aerobics class today. It tore me up last week when I went, so I'll stick to basketball and weights. No weights tonight or for the last week. I'm easing back into things a bit at a time.
- I have 2 weeks of vacation coming up, so that will allow me to be home and manage the diet well. When I was off after the surgery, I was using sick time. After that, I was working from home and it really got very busy at work. On my vacation, i'm not going anywhere, just studying for my differential equations class (which I am very behind in and have a test on Monday).
- Urinating isn't really giving me any trouble now.
- I'm shifting back towards my pre-fissure diet again. Less fruit, rarely any starches and more veggies/dairy. However, I will boil the carrots and nuts (creamy natural peanut butter only). I Ate some fish today.
- I went to the office for a while this week. It was fine. I didn't have a BM there as I left to go work from home when I felt it was coming soon.
- I changed my oil in 2 cars today and was able to do it with on problem. One of my sons moved the heavy floor jack and jack stand. But, I probably could have even done that had I attempted it slowly and carefully. However, I was able to climb under both vehicles a couple of times without issues. i carried the oil drain pan full of 6 quarts of oil into the store with no problem. So, I'm able to get out of the house and run errands.
So, overall I am doing much better than I have in a very long time Image . I'm not spending all day soaking in the tub and all night awake and in pain. I'm not sitting on the heating pad to much except in the car. Right now, this condition isn't ruling my life anymore. So, I am very glad I got the surgery. I'm glad the recovery is coming along so far and so well. I hope it stays this way and I don't suffer any more setbacks.
I really hope it heals all the way and I never had a retear or another surgery again. I mean, I know I could wake up tomorrow constipated Image , soaking in the tub, and in pain Image . And, I still have moments where I am in a little discomfort. I am still aware of the surgical feeling in the area a lot. But, its nothing like it was before. Coughing still hurts a lot at times. I still have to limit myself from some activities. For example, I'm sitting down as I type this and I'm thinking "ok, a little discomfort. Let me finish this up and go to bed to lay down (and ice down my shin splints from basketball)".
Lately, in order to feel any real pain for any longer than a couple of minutes, I need a real bad BM. Image Thankfully, I just haven’t had one in the last couple of days. For right now, I'm feeling very optimistic about my recovery and glad that the bad part after the surgery is over. Hopefully, things will keep going so good as they have yesterday and today. I think these last couple of days have been the best so far.
I'll let you know how the next week goes and if things keep getting better and better. Thank again to all of you on this forum and for the replies and support. Image Image
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby cherylk » 26 Oct 2012, 07:35

Thanks for posting. I can't believe that you tried step aerobics last week. Ypu must be a real exercise nut like my son and I are.
Glad that you are feeling so well!! Sounds like you made a sound decision in having that surgery resulting in much improvement in that area. Good luck with that DE test!
Last edited by cherylk on 26 Oct 2012, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
cherylk
VIP

Postby owmybum » 26 Oct 2012, 08:21

So glad to see things are still progressing in the right way for you Ryan
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby ryanman0 » 31 Oct 2012, 15:47

4 Weeks Post-Op Update
- Hello. I just wanted to post a quick update. I am doing fine. My post-BM discomfort is usually very, very little and sometimes no discomfort at all. I still feel it when I cough and at times during the day, but its very mild. Its more like an awareness of the area feeling a bit odd instead of pain.
So far, all of my BM have been good (no constipation). I'm getting back to life - playing basketball, running errands, etc. I haven't really worked out with weights lately. No Colace and able to sit and drive for much longer periods now. The recovery continues to be great so far!
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 31 Oct 2012, 15:49

Good, Ryan!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryanman0 » 04 Nov 2012, 13:56

1 Month Post-Op
So, I got diarrhea for about 3 days straight. I'm not sure if I ate something bad or maybe got a little sick. Watery stool never really bothered me before. I used to hope I would get it since it was the thick stool stretching that always bothered me.
Anyway, the diarrhea started making the area feel burned and irritated. As of last night, I think the diarrhea is going away and I had a normal bowel movement. It really hurt a lot after the normal bowel movement. I am not sure if the pain is the LIS cut stretching the sphincter now that the stool is normal and thick again. Perhaps its just the fissure being irritated from going to the bathroom too many times. Maybe there was some scratching from undigested food. Wiping sure burned a lot.
So, It hurt quite a bit after this BM. Not "I need to take pain meds" kind of pain. But I sure ran to the shower as fast as I could. The hot shower made the pain go away fast.
Today, I have no pain. However, I have not had a BM yet. Last week, I sure felt like I was fully recovered. So, I was not too happy about how I felt last night. Hopefully, this is just part of the normal ups and downs of recovery. I'll keep you all updated.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 04 Nov 2012, 16:29

Hi Ryan,
Since the shower helped the discomfort so quickly it sounds likely it was some irritation to the area from the episodes of diarrhea. It's really a great sign that you haven't been having pain today.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you .
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby ryanman0 » 11 Nov 2012, 18:00

5 week post-op update:
I just wanted to post another update. I'm doing well. I did have a little pain and discomfort on a couple of days right after my last update. Even then, it was mostly for a couple of hours following a BM. But, even then it was nothing major like before when I had a fissure (or when I had just had surgery).
On most days it doesn't hurt at all. Lately, its mostly been life back to normal. I can drive and sit for a long time. BMs are no longer scary. I even went to the step aerobics class this week and had no issues. I worked out with bench fairly heavy without problems.
The recovery has had its ups and downs. However, the overall direction has been positive. In other words, each time that I do have setbacks or problems, the problems seem to be less and less severe (except maybe for the one day last week that I mentioned above that scared me). Furthermore, the good days seem to be getting better and better (and more frequent). The overall recover seems to be consistently better and better. I think healing is a slow process; however, my healing seems to be progressing along very well.
Hopefully, this will healing trend will continue and I'll never have another fissure! I'll update again in a week unless something happens.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 19 Nov 2012, 15:21

6 weeks post op
I really think its healed mostly all the way. I mean, there is still discomfort at times, but its less and less. All pain is gone. My life feels like its back to normal.
- just some minor discomfort at different times during the week. This was mostly when I had a couple of days of watery stool and had exercised very hard. But again, there was No pain.
- I went very heavy with the weights. Went hard at step aerobics. Played a couple of hours of hard basketball. No pain in the area after (maybe just some discomfort).
- Life basically back to normal. Able to sit all day at work with no issue. No problems driving. No need for heating pad.
- no drainage at all. However, I do wipe again sometimes an hour after a BM. I find that after things relax a bit down there, I guess I can wipe a bit better (cleaning a bit deeper?). I still use extreme care when wiping and I use Balneol lotion occasionally if wiping or watery stool causes irritation.
- I have really had no straining during BM. I find its the low volume watery BM that might correlate to the minor discomfort I still get at times. But again, its no gotten so minor that I can usually ignore it. I haven't ran to the shower in a long time.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist