Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby ryanman0 » 15 Dec 2012, 14:26

Sorew5 wrote:Yay that's great news! I am so happy for you :)
Sorry to hear about your family.. I guess it's your turn to look after them as they looked after you during your op recovery Image make sure they take lots of vitamins. My favorite cure is half a pint of cranberry and half of pineapple juice.. Always kills germs!
I hope they get better soon and thank you for all your posts. Really helpful to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.. I just have to wait another six weeks I guess :)

Thanks Sorew5. I'll try the cranberry juice. I agree. It was my turn to take care of them after they took care of me during the surgery. I hope you recover soon. Thanks for the reply
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby ryanman0 » 15 Dec 2012, 14:30

marg6043 wrote:I took time to read the entire thread Ryanman0, you are a great inspiration with such a detail thread on your post surgery ordeal.
It actually has given me hope, it is light at the end of the tunnel after all.
I got two more month to make up my mind about surgery, if my fissure doesn't get any better.
Thanks so much, please take care of your family, I am fighting a nasty cold myself right now.

Thanks marg6043. Thanks for the reply. I am glad that my thread has helped you. Thanks for taking the time to read the whole thing. I was worried when typing this much detail that it was way too long. I just remember that pre-surgery, I wanted as many details as I could get. This was true even though I knew that each recovery might be unique. Hopefully, you are over your cold. Thanks! Ryan
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 15 Dec 2012, 14:39

SteveR wrote:Any updates?

Thanks SteveR.
Here is the 2.5 month update.
For about 1.5 weeks after my last post, I had no issues at all. In fact, I had some very thick (4-5 pencil) BM and there was no pain. I guess the area seemed to be stretching well. However, I got sick and had some very, very watery stools all day long for a couple of days. This seems to have irritated my bottom when I wiped. The area was raw. I used a lot of Balneol lotion.
Now the burning is gone. However, this little bout with diarrhea has irritated something down there. On a couple of occasions, I had a few occasions where I had a little bit of discomfort, tightness, and even a hint of pain. This was when sitting and again when walking. Again, it was not bad. I really just think its some irritation from all the diarrhea.
So, I'm still doing good. This happened before and the discomfort went away quickly. So, I suspect this will be the same. If anything goes downhill, I'll post an update. Otherwise, I'll try to post at the 3 month mark.
In summary, I'm still doing good. Its still life as normal. The little bit of discomfort mentioned above has not had any impact on my quality of life. Its just that anytime I get a thick BM followed by diarrhea, it still agitates the area (even 2.5 months post-op).
Thanks!
Ryan
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 15 Dec 2012, 16:54

Thanks for the update, Ryan, I can talk a bit about the lose stools as that is what caused my fissures, excessive diarrhea due to side effect of gallbladder removal last year.
So in order to keep my fissure discomfort at a minimal I have to find ways to keep the lose stoles at a minimal as they are very irritating to the area.
Now, my Gastro doctor recommended to take two spoonfuls of mineral oil one in the morning and one in the afternoon, to keep the stools oily enough to avoid irritation if diarrhea develop along with prescribe medication.
Coconut oil also helps and taste much better, make sure that you keep the area lubricated before a BM, I am using now vitamin E/coconut oil suppositories and they are fantastic, very soothing and organic.
You are still healing my friend and need to keep giving the area loving tender care.
I hope the irritation subside soon but don't let it get any worst.
BTW the details of your road to recovery are very well appreciated, someday when you are fully recovered and have forgotten how bad used to be you can always give advised to the rest of us that are still dealing with the problems.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby ryanman0 » 26 Dec 2012, 12:36

12 week post-op update
No issues since the last post. I was constipated two times just before Christmas. I did push a little bit during the first episode of constipation. The constipation did irritate the area a little (and scared me); however, everything seems fine. No real pain because of it.
When I say irrigation, I just mean that sometimes feel a little minor discomfort while walking, sitting for a long time, or while having a BM. In other words, I'm aware of the area to the point that I might adjust the way I sit. But mostly, its just enough to cause me to worry. But thankfully, nothing has come of it. Basically, I feel something, get scared, and then it gets better. It doesn't affect my quality of life at all.
Besides the constipation, everything has been going well.
The constipation seems to have been due to a thick BM and this usually happens when I eat too much fiber. Also, I think I haven't been drinking enough water lately. And I get busy with work and studying during the day and hold in my BM until a more convenient time.
Anyway, maybe the occasional thick stool is good. It might be stretching the sphincter and keeping it from getting back too tight? I am not sure.
There has been no blood and no real pain. So, I think that the healing has been going good. I'll keep updating. Hopefully, I can avoid diarrhea, constipation, and continue to heal. Thanks again for all the replies.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Jan 2013, 12:21

3 month post-op update
- Having no problems at all
- I had both a Thick Stool and watery stool this week and no issues
- still working out, playing basketball, and going to step aerobics class. No problems from that either
- No blood, no leakage. However, as previously mentioned, if I wipe again about 20 minutes after BM, the area has loosened up and I can wipe better. In other words, it opens up and I can clean the area better and it soils the TP. however, I don't think its leakage. I do not use any leakage pads anymore and have not in quite some time.
- The sphincter does feel much tighter. I think it has healed a lot.
- I still am very aware of the area and treat the area very gently when using the restroom (no straining), when wiping, or even when passing gas. Perhaps had I treated the area with this much care (by just realizing how fragile it is), I might not have had fissures that bad. There was a time when I would just sit down, strain, and let it all rush out regardless of the size, consistency, etc. Hopefully, I won't forget in a year or two. But, so far so good.
- Life back to normal still
- no pain from the area over the last couple of weeks.
- raised my fiber intake after the 1st by committing to stick to my high-veggie diet. So far, no issues from the excess fiber.
- I am not taking any Colace of supplements. I am drinking lots of fluids and water; however, I have forgotten on some days. No issues from that either.
- Drinking coffee seems to give me frequent watery stools
- I have a small table in the bathroom that has a bottom section that feet can be placed upon. I have been using this as a stool for the last couple of months. This creates a somewhat squatting position. However, I can't do this at work. I no longer lean to one side during BM.
- I eat lots of dairy; however, I now take Lactiad. I know it is working b/c whenever I get excessive gas, I realize that I forgot to take it.
- I eat lots of meat, healthy fats, etc. None of this has bothered the area. I do not supplement fiber since I eat lots of veggies
- I sit for most of the day at work. This has not bothered the area. I am also able to drive for long times. Although, we bought a car and I did make sure it had heated seats (just in case)
- I now spread the word to others about anal fissure danger. For example, my wife had some constipation an told me that she strained and felt like she had to go to the bathroom over and over again. I explained my previous situation that was similar and how I felt that is the night that made my fissures go from bad to horrible. My brother had mentioned some bleeding long ago, so I also explained to him not to strain, etc. Maybe, we can help others avoid getting in this situation by telling others.
- As of right now, I am so glad I got the surgery and got my life back. Thanks to this group, all the support, my family, and my doctor. Hopefully, this will continue and I will never have this again.
Thanks,
Ryan
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 06 Jan 2013, 13:18

Nice report, Ryan!! At least you have learned from all of this that straining=very bad outcome (immediately or later)--hemmroids and/or AF's!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby KPeff78 » 09 Jan 2013, 13:24

cherylk wrote:It's difficult to focus on one's butt when there is work to do!!

I find it difficult to focus on anything when one's butt isn't working!
KPeff78
Fibre Addict

Postby ryanman0 » 09 Jan 2013, 14:25

Thanks. I am still doing very good.
one other thing I forgot to mention:
I have been trying to avoid waiting when I have to go. Sometimes, if I cannot go to the restroom, I feel like the sphincter tightens up in as I hold it in. This seems to tighten up the muscle and makes the area feel tight. It feels like when you work out a muscle and it pumps it up. At least, that is how it feels.
Also, holding it in seems to make pressure build up and seems to make an explosive high velocity BM. This cannot be good.
So, lately, I try not to hold it in. I try to go when I get the urge. If I cannot, then I go asap. If I was to go on a plane trip, I might need to change what I eat in advance to avoid having to hold it in.
anyway, no problems at this time. So far, all is god.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 13 Jan 2013, 11:20

Just checking in to say everything is still going well. No pain, bleeding, or issues.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist