Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 01:07

12AM- 6 days post-Op
WORKOUT:
I worked out again today. I used 25 pound dumbbells and a 35 pound barbell today. I read the debates on here about working out post-op. However, I'm going to take a little bit of a chance. I don't mean to stir up the "should we or should we not work out debate". Its a little to late for that at this point since I have worked out 3 times so far with light weights. However, just in case others in recovery think about copying my post-op workout (probably not a good idea), I'll run my mouth a bit about the thoughts I have on the matter.
Here is why I think I will be alright. These weights are so light and I am isolating the exercises to my upper body. In other words, there is no straining going on and just my upper body is moving. I'm just moving my arm up and down in isolation about 20-30 times against resistance. I also did some weightless calf raises while standing on the ground. But, that isn't much more than walking.
More reasons why I think it might be ok. Well, I always worked out while having a fissure, and my fissure always healed just fine (over and over again). I guess I just didn't have any issues even when benching 220 pound sets, playing basketball, and doing a step aerobics class every Thursday throughout all fissure suffering (1/2 hour of weights and 1/2 hour of step). Also, I don't feel any pain while doing it (not then or now)
Instead, the problems I kept having with re-tears always came from constipation stretching out the area. That was when I would have problems. Some report retears upon working out. That didn't seem to apply to my particular situation. Retears were never from working out. At least, not in any way that I can relate the two. However, working out while having a fissure and working out after anal surgery could very well be very different. Also, I think if I overdue it and lift the heavy weights that cause me to strain all over, I could maybe form a pile of scar tissue in the area. I can't be sure AND I'm not the expert. So, decide what you think is more likely the case and what risk you are willing to accept. And do it before the operation so you don't decide while on pain meds like I did!
Anyway, I'm going to work out in this manner for a while. One more thing to mention is that if you do workout, you might want to use 5 lb. dumbbells. What I am saying is that I used to lift a lot of weight. For example, I deadlift 300-400 lbs. Not bragging (there are guys that make me look weak, weight is all relative, and who really cares how much you can lift - I'm way too old for that macho-ism). However I mention it in order to put things in perspective. if I normally Curl 90-120 pounds and now am curling 35-45, then please understand that there is no straining going on with these light weights. I also laid on the bed and did some bench press. However, I normally workout with around 240 lbs. for sets. I used 25 lbs. last time and then 35 today. Even push-ups would have been much heavier for me. Although push-ups would involve abdominal tightening AND that is something I am not willing to do. If you don't workout with decent weights regularly, then don't copy what I listed and think we are doing the same thing.
Well, there is no additional drainage noticed after working out. I also don't feel any greater pain after working out. But, perhaps I'm aggravating the area and just not feeling it due to the post-workout numbing that I have been reporting.
Nevertheless, my wife doesn't think I should be doing any exercising at all (no matter how light or careful). She might be right. I'm a bit hard-head sometimes anyway. So, I guess I'll find out.
Also, the discharge papers said to resume normal activities the day after the operation. However, I'm pretty sure they just meant walking around. I guess I could call my doctor and get his two cents. Maybe he has experience with some people who reported working out soon after and knows if they had issues (like scar tissue) or just healed up fine.
In the meantime, it makes me feel great, seems to help manage the pain, might help to keep me in shape, keep my body from tiring out, get me off the couch/bed, and I really don't suspect its hurting anything. Lets hope I am right. For different recommendations and debates, search the forums for keywords like "weights" and "exercising" on the forum.
Last edited by ryanman0 on 10 Oct 2012, 01:56, edited 4 times in total.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 01:08

2AM- 6 days post-op
FEELING GREAT TODAY:
After my workout/energy food, I really felt good and was getting around. wife said I look like I am now doing great.
TODAYS DIET:
Ate a sandwich, a little steak, some steamed green beans, a shake in the blendtec blender (whey, berries, natural unsweetened peanut butter, flax, unsweetened cocoa, extra-virgin coconut oil, banana, unsweetened applesauce), bunch of unsweetened teas, tons of water, tons of vitamins, Colace, etc.
TRYING TO SKIP THE PAIN MEDS AGAIN
- Ok, I tried waiting an extra couple of hours without the pain meds. I had another bowel movement (while mostly completely off pain meds- but maybe still on post-workout endorphin effect). Bowel movement was the same - light push, followed by soft well-formed BM on auto-flow, without pain during the movement) Following this bowel movement, pain goes (over a 5 minute period) from "ok, this sucks" TO "oh, this really, really sucks. Never, OMG, this is horrible. Just a, " damn, I can't wait to jump in the shower in case that helps" And this was on no pain meds. Pain faded as I took the 15 minute shower.
CLOGGED UP THE TOILET:
- After the shower, I cleaned the area a lot. I then dried it and used the balneol cream. This was after the shower which was right after bm. The cream isn't burning
- The bad part is that I used so much tissue, I clogged up toilet. I plunged it though and it was fine.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HOT WATER AVAILABLE
One other thing to note is that I ran out of hot water. I guess between clothes washing, dishwasher, and kids bathing, there was not too much hot water. At least I had some. You might want to look out for that before the BM.
BACK ON THE PAIN MEDS:
- So, I'm not in a lot of pain except the burning right after a BM. However, I still feel the area a lot. And there is some pain for quite some time after a BM. Also, when I move around or try sitting, I can feel it a bit more. But the point is that the pain is now moderate and infrequent compared to before. If recovery keeps progressing, it probably won't be long before I can stop taking them.
In fact, I could probably put up with the level of discomfort that I feel today and completely stop using the pain medicine right now ( if I had to ). So, its clearly a lot less than yesterday. However, I'll probably give it a couple more days or maybe see how it feels tomorrow before stopping it completely. Or maybe, I'll try taking 1 pill instead of 2 and also let the time between doses grow.
Either way, I feel like I am getting better and better. For not, I'm going to take another dose of the Pain Meds and sit on the heat for a while. Then, I'll see if I can get some sleep.
DOING MUCH BETTER TODAY:
Overall, I'm doing very good. I'm getting around more, taking less Pain meds, able to move around more, not in as much pain, walking around easier, feeling like I have more energy. Each complication-free day that I don't mess up and give myself a large constipating hard bowel movement is a great day in my book. Thanks again to you all for all the encouragement, advice, and support. I'll keep posting updates.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 10 Oct 2012, 02:57

It's great to see your progress Ryan.... Try and go easy with those weights.... Listen to your wife!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby cherylk » 10 Oct 2012, 07:07

Ryan,
I second what owmybum says. Listend to your wife!! I would try a stationary bike before trying weights. I agree with you--it's constipation that gets all of us every time. I"m still having some pain, but am better today after using my ointment and doing tub soaks which I think are really helping. The AB's continue to get me screwed up with my digestive system and then it is somewhat trying to get it back on tract. My Mayo GI doc is very against LIS surgery for me, however. Sometimes I think it might be helpful. He knows that I get upset about everything an knows that would have big problems being upset if I can incontinence after having the surgery. Hoping for continued improvement for myself. These butt issues never seem to end even after a person gets healed for a long while (like me).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 14:17

owmybum wrote:It's great to see your progress Ryan.... Try and go easy with those weights.... Listen to your wife!!
OMB x

Thanks. I guess I'll skip the weights today and move back down to the 20 lb. dumbbells if I do start back up.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 14:21

cherylk wrote:Ryan,
I second what owmybum says. Listend to your wife!! I would try a stationary bike before trying weights. I agree with you--it's constipation that gets all of us every time. I"m still having some pain, but am better today after using my ointment and doing tub soaks which I think are really helping. The AB's continue to get me screwed up with my digestive system and then it is somewhat trying to get it back on tract. My Mayo GI doc is very against LIS surgery for me, however. Sometimes I think it might be helpful. He knows that I get upset about everything an knows that would have big problems being upset if I can incontinence after having the surgery. Hoping for continued improvement for myself. These butt issues never seem to end even after a person gets healed for a long while (like me).

Cheryl,
Hope you can heal for good! I guess by Mayo GI doctor, you mean you go to the Mayo Clinic? My friend is from that area and tells me that they are the best. He actually flys back to his parents house for any major medical.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 10 Oct 2012, 14:32

Ryan,
I felt I WAS healed for good. Just these past few weeks flaired up after decreasing my Miralax due to the 2 rounds of AB's. I LOVE the Mayo Clinic AND my Mayo GI doc. He got me into the Pelvic Floor Retraining class. I also have been seen twice by colorectal there and also in urinary my first time in 1990. Mayo Rochester is #1 in gastrenterology. Interestingly, I am about ready to fill out a survery for my Mayo doc! I plan to make a copy and send it to him, so he can see how I rated him. I'm contemplating going there annually for reviews. We were just there the first part of Aug, but I hadn't been to see him in over 3 years because I had been doing so well. Unfortunately, my Mayo doc will probably retire in 4 years. So, I'll need a new contact. My dad had open heart surgery there in the 80's. He died 17 years ago today. I'm feeling better and am getting my digestive system working better. Hope it continues upward!
Are you taking a leave from your job? What type of work do you d?
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 15:27

cherylk wrote:Ryan,
I felt I WAS healed for good. Just these past few weeks flaired up after decreasing my Miralax due to the 2 rounds of AB's. I LOVE the Mayo Clinic AND my Mayo GI doc. He got me into the Pelvic Floor Retraining class. I also have been seen twice by colorectal there and also in urinary my first time in 1990. Mayo Rochester is #1 in gastrenterology. Interestingly, I am about ready to fill out a survery for my Mayo doc! I plan to make a copy and send it to him, so he can see how I rated him. I'm contemplating going there annually for reviews. We were just there the first part of Aug, but I hadn't been to see him in over 3 years because I had been doing so well. Unfortunately, my Mayo doc will probably retire in 4 years. So, I'll need a new contact. My dad had open heart surgery there in the 80's. He died 17 years ago today. I'm feeling better and am getting my digestive system working better. Hope it continues upward!
Are you taking a leave from your job? What type of work do you d?

Glad you are feeling better. Thankfully, I get 2 weeks of sick leave each year. I had 1 week remaining, so I took it this week. If I run into further issues that require more time off this year, I have some vacation time that I can use. The good thing is that I can work from home in my job. So, in the past when things would flare up, I would work from home. That would give me more flexibility to do things like sit in the tub, avoid long agonizing car rides to work, etc. My job involves working with software code and customers, so when I'm not on a phone call, I can sometimes even perform my job on a laptop while in the tub if I need to.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 10 Oct 2012, 15:41

ryan
I thought that you did something brainy. Image You really, really impressed me when you said that you were taking a class in differential equations because I know that would be difficult. I don't have a laptop, but want/need to have something if we return to Florida this Feb. Woud you recommend an ipad or laptop for getting e-mail? My son uses a laptop solely. He's a pharmacist, and I'm proud of him! :D
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Oct 2012, 15:46

4:20-
HAD A BM:
after downing all that water and the thick shake, I had an enormous urge to have a BM. I was able to hold it with no problem as I walked to the bathroom. Not a single push was required, nor did things "blast out" out of control. The stool was very soft, but not formed at all. It wasn't liquidy. Just a bunch of waste in a pile. The volume was a lot. To give you an idea of how much (when I say there is a lot), its just above the water level in the toilet. Now, before you freak out, the water level in my toilet is very low. So, I'm not sure how to describe it any better. There was no blood observed in the toilet or when wiping.
BURNING (MORE OF THE SAME):
The burning was about the same as before, however, as soon as I got in the tub, the pain seemed to fade. It really wasn't bad at all. Just a couple of minutes of the type of pain that makes you think, "damn, I hate fissures, I wish this would stop- right away". Keep in mind that I'm still on the pain meds, so if I wasn't, it might be worse.
TUB PROVIDED RELEIF:
Now, I'm soaking in the tub. I made it a bit hotter than usual, but not the kind of hot where you have to ease into it (like I did sometimes in the past due to fissure pain). I've been in here about 5 minutes. While I am still very aware of the area and feel "some pain", I am really doing fine and not in any significant pain at all.
MIGHT HAVE OVERDONE THE WATER:
Hold on, I have to get out of the tub for a second to pee from all this water I'm drinking. Urine is clear. It wasn't clear when I woke up; however, it wasn't extremely dark either.
GOT A LITTLE COLD, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT:
I got some chills earlier (probably something from the pain meds), but is chilly outside and it got pretty cold in the house. Now, I'm feeling fine.
ELABORATION ON WASTE IN THE TUB:
- So, one thing to note is that I clean with the toilet paper before getting in the tub. However, due to the burning and the promise of potential relief as soon as I get in the tub, I may not get it all. Anyway, its just sort of hard using the toilet paper b/c I don't really wipe. I just dab it around and use a small wiping motion. Anyway, I'm afraid to use wet ones right after a BM. So, some of the matter is cleaned off (or just floats off) in the tub. Its not a lot; however, it sucks to know that I am sitting in a tub that has some "dirt" in it. Anyway, you can just shower off before getting out.
I'm looking in the water as I sit in the tub. Towards the drain end at the bottom of the tub, there are about, maybe, 6 pieces of dirt and some dust sized matter collected around. If I collected it all, maybe it would be the size of a pencil eraser.
So, I'm having a coffee, drinking some water, and 5 more minutes have passed, so I have to get out to pee.
Bye.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist