Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby cherylk » 13 Oct 2012, 23:00

Wouldn't feminine pads in the grocery store work similarly?
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 13 Oct 2012, 23:13

cherylk wrote:Wouldn't feminine pads in the grocery store work similarly?

Probably. I just wasn't sure what to get. I looked at them at walgreens today, but there is a bit of different products and I wasn't sure what would work. Some of them looked to thick and I wasn't sure if there were any other ingredients that might cause burning.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby cherylk » 14 Oct 2012, 12:22

Do you think that you will always have leakage?????
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryanman0 » 14 Oct 2012, 16:32

cherylk wrote:Do you think that you will always have leakage?????

Lets hope not. From some of the other posts I read on here, it seems to last for quite some time for some people. I'm still having about the same amount of drainage. The only thing about those pads is that you only get 24 in a pack and it costs $10. So, I guess I'll just use them for when I go out in public since they are supposed to stay in place better. If I switched to the feminine pads, would I have to cut them? Anything in there that might cause the burning? I've been using the cotton squares today.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 14 Oct 2012, 16:37

10 days post-op update
Had a soft unformed BM today followed by another one that was too watery. I think what has happened is that I got off the pain medication (which has a constipating effect and seems to slow down the bowels) and now my bowels are moving faster. I also ate a lot of fiber rich foods yesterday.
Took a 40 minute car ride today and I am sore from it. Sitting for long periods of time is still no fun. Pain after BM is down a lot now. The burning really doesn't last long. However, its worth noting that I have not had any "thick" bowel movements in the past few days and those are the ones that always brought on the most pain. The first BM of the day was always the thickest. Still a decent amount of blood-like drainage after a BM. But, not a ton of drainage. Not bright red. It looks diluted with other fluid.
Overall, still doing fine. No pain meds or ibuprofen at all anymore. I've been sleeping a lot and return to work tomorrow (although its work from home on laptop - which for my job- can sometimes be done laying in bed, on toilet, or tub)
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 14 Oct 2012, 18:08

I think that you should be able to buy some unscented feminine pads in a pharmacy or grocery store.
cherylk
VIP

Postby Anya324 » 14 Oct 2012, 22:00

I meant to post that on here last night but forgot. I didn't really know where it should go. On which board, I mean. ?? Anyway, both times I've had surgery my dr has the hospital give me a new sitz bath, water bag and 2-3 boxes of ARD or B-Sure pads. They are good too to use as wipes if you wet them. Done that in a pinch Image
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby ryanman0 » 15 Oct 2012, 12:31

11 days post op
- Good soft, loose, decent volume BM this morning. I was able to almost completely avoid any sharp pain by focusing on relaxing the area. It seems to want to tense up after a BM. It was the least pain I have felt during a BM since the surgery.
- Discharge is not too heavy. It may even be a bit less.
- Discomfort after BM for a couple of hours continues, I still use the heat after. No more baby wipes, using only Balneol and cotton squares/Toilet Paper. Didn't have to jump in the tub after the last couple of BM.
- Haven't taken the Colace in last 24 hours
- Returned to work today (but working from home). Laying in the bed is much better than sitting. Anytime I sit, stand, or drive for more than about 40 minutes, it becomes difficult. Working from home is also helping me choose the right foods to manage my BMs.
- Still get slight pains out of nowhere sometimes. Can't walk while carrying anything heavy or lift anything over 30 lbs without feeling it. No pain meds or ibuprofen for multiple days now.
- still heavy on the fruits, soft veggies, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Weight is back down about 5 lbs. from its peak last week when I was bloated.
- still sleeping a lot and tired.
Overall, no complications or setbacks in a while. I think I am doing well. Still slowly healing. Follow-up visit with the doctor in 1 week.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 16 Oct 2012, 11:31

12 days post-op
- Had a very large thick BM today. It was definitely harder than any other post-op BM. As it was about to come out, I felt how large and hard it was and I freaked out. For a second, I considered trying to stop it so that I could go drink water or do something and come back. However, the pressure to go was to great. I tried to relax but think I ended up tensing up and even pushing a bit. I got scared and freaked out.
Anyway, I think its mostly because I didn't drink as much water yesterday due to being preoccupied with work. There has been a steady drainage which looks like blood, Its mostly red, but not bright red - looks like blood diluted in some type of discharge fluid (maybe?). There is pain and discomfort, but not bad like after the surgery. If this would have happened pre-op, I probably would have bright red blood, enormous amounts of pain/burning. Since I don't have that, I am guessing that the loose injured sphincter helped. Nevertheless, I think it irritated something. I'm hoping that its minor and didn't cause any damage. I'm soaking in the tub, going back to the crazy amounts of water, starting to take the Colace again, and take bathroom breaks while working instead of holding it in so long.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 16 Oct 2012, 12:08

Oh, to get our BM's just right!! It is sooo tricky!! Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP