LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Jan 2017, 13:17

No chance of me just going once everyday been twice in 2 hours now and from the severity of the cramps there will be more to come...cries
Ok change that to 4x in 3 hours now am in proper pain not happy even feels like the spasms are starting up...I hate my colon...it's on days like this when I think a colostomy is my only hope
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby IronicTwist » 13 Jan 2017, 07:31

Sorry to hear hon. Hang in there.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Jan 2017, 07:47

Thanx IT,
Thankfully it stopped after the 6th time pain got up to a strong 7 but with painkillers I managed some sleep...think the one good thing about the LIS is I no longer feel sore the next day.
Mypoorbutt

Postby IronicTwist » 13 Jan 2017, 08:00

I havent had a BM in 3 days but I feel a little bloated today so it should happen before the end of the day. Had hardly any water yesterday due to a hectic work day but urine still looks a pretty clear pale yellow so I havent dehydrated much. I'll just have to use a little vaseline before my BM. I've cut down alot on the fibre since I started feeling a little better. Im basically trying to control the pain but not heal fully before the op just in case they cancel it. Sounds nuts but I have my reasons. Ive researched that once you get a chronic fissure theres a 90% chance it will recurr within 24 months without LIS. At least thats what Ive read. Any which way. Even with "normal" bms it still hasnt subsided completely and every "normal" BM is now followed by a softer BM which just irritates the fissure more and sends me into spasms. Nothing compared to about 3 months ago but even so, without the GTN I'd be screwed.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby GilmoreGirl » 13 Jan 2017, 08:09

Ouf that's frustrating!

I'm really understanding how you feel mpb, diarrhea for a month now and the area is worse than it has been since I finally started healing...

So difficult when you can't predict what your body will do!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Jan 2017, 08:31

IT, I'm sure that even if you were having perfect BMs your fissure probably wouldn't heal, you need the LIS especially if your still spasming. So I wouldn't worry that you might heal before your op. Yes the softer the BM the more it hurts for me at least I try and get a Bristol 3 if only I could just have a Bristol 3 every day.
GG it was diarrhoea that got me into this mess in the first place it's awful and so acidic be really careful Hun....maybe do like IT and put some Vaseline or barrier cream on before you go to the toilet.
Mypoorbutt

Postby ouchie25 » 13 Jan 2017, 19:12

MPB, what about it you were regularly on Gastrostop to help control the loose movements? Or does the stool thicken with white rice, pasta, potatoes, white bread, smooth peanut butter, banana, cheese and oats etc?

You have probably tried this all, but it's so awful hearing what you have to go through! Hang in there xxxxx
ouchie25
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Jan 2017, 09:07

Hi ouchie,
I'm already on 3 meds to slow down my output and sometimes they work well....I haven't heard of gastrostop so will google that.
I basically live on carbs like bread and potatoes with meat as anything more than that sets me off big time regardless of my meds.
Thanx for thinking of me, it has made my journey harder but I think this May be as good as it gets for me and as long as the spasms stay away then whilst not ecstatic I am willing to live with it
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 20 Jan 2017, 20:27

Hi MPB,

How have you been lately? Any improvements?

Thinking of you!!

GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mypoorbutt » 21 Jan 2017, 02:52

Hi GG,
How are you Hun?
There has been a slight improvement in the level of pain if I only go once....but if I go more than twice then nope I am still in quite a lot of pain.
I'm seeing my CRS on Monday, but I have a feeling that this may be the best for me and that he may not even offer the flap surgery due to my other conditions. So instead of focusing on the fissure I have been trying to just get on with life as it is, I have lived with IBS for nearly 30 years and crohns for well over 15, I guess I have to accept that I now will also have to live with my fissure unless I want to try and fight for a colostomy and the issues that brings.
Right now I'm ok as long as I don't go too much so I'm pretty much back to life before the fissure until my bowel kicks off. I have even managed to have a BM (Bristol 3) and haven't needed my GTN so that is a great improvement but then a few days later I went 3 times and was up to level 7 of pain.
I don't want to discourage others so have decided to update less frequently as I know no one wants to hear about an unsuccessful LIS. Even though I would still do it again as it has bright me some relief...that may not always come across and I font want to put others off.
Gosh I bet you wish you hadn't asked now lol...but thanx Hun it's nice to know the people who kind of went through this with me still care.
Really hope you have seen some improvement though Hun x
Mypoorbutt