LIS Diary

Surgery done on Sunday May 14, 2017

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Diary

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 16 May 2017, 05:36

Day 1 post op:

No BM yet. Anus feels much more relaxed and so sign of any discomfort from the fissure. Discomfort is mainly from the incision site. Minimal bleeding. Minimal pain. Can pass gas much easier than before. Some mild incontinence to gas and liquid stool that resolved throughout the day.

Just found out from my CRS that he cauterized the incision. I was a bit surprised as I thought the incision is either sutured or left open to heal. Anyone have their incision cauterized?
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: LIS Diary

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 16 May 2017, 05:45

Day 2 post op:

Went to the bathroom for my first BM. Noticed considerable amount of seepage and yellowish stuff coming out from the incision site, so will continue putting a gauze in there. Pain in the incision site was less than yesterday.

My first BM was harder than I thought. Burning pain from fissure site that lasted for >30 minutes only. Did not take codeine to prevent constipation. Taking softeners, eating small meals, drinking water, and taking sitz baths three times each day.

No sign of sphincter tightness throughout the day and therefore can't feel the fissure as I used to pre-LIS.

Overall feeling better than pre-LIS. Is having my incision cauterized instead of being sutured or left open normal? Is the yellow seepage from the incision site normal?
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 16 May 2017, 09:41

Day 2 post op:

Had my second BM after surgery. No spasms. But an intense burning pain from the fissure site that persisted for more than 30 minutes. Had to lie down in bed and take some painkillers.

I know its only day 2 but I hope that burning pain is normal :(
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 May 2017, 11:00

Hi, in my experience the burning is normal for a while after. Dont forget the fissure is still there even if it has been cauterised. Any BM will not only stretch it slightly but will also sting as it passes over the fissure leaving some residue which in turn leads to the burning. Also you will have more swelling there than normal due to the op so that will also cause some pain and burning too.
You sound like your recovering really well
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 16 May 2017, 11:11

Hi Mypoorbutt,

I hope so. It just has been an absolute living hell trying to cope with an anal fissure. Luckily I made it through my final exams in university so I can have my surgery and have enough time to rest in summer. Even though my fissure is small and superficial in appearance (not deep and no skin tags), the pain after bowel movements was leaving me in tears.

It's my incision that has been cauterized and not the fissure itself. Which left me puzzled as I thought my CRS will either suture it or leave it open.

Now the discomfort is mainly from the incision site with some dull pain and constant mild leakage and soiling as well as the burning after bowel movements originating from the fissure site. Like I said, I know it's only day 2 post-op but I hope they resolve soon because I just want my quality of life back. :(
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 17 May 2017, 04:57

Day 3 post-op:

Went to bathroom in the morning as usual. Noticed some yellow leakage on gauze as usual, but also a small solid stool, so I kind of freaked out. Don't know if this is normal or not!

I then had my BM. Was softer so I assume the stoof softeners are doing their job. Still some burning after BM, but not sure if it is originating from the fissure site or the incision site. The burning lasted for >30 minutes. Did not take painkillers.

I have few questions I was hoping someone who went through this can answer:

- Is it normal that I noticed a small solid stool on the gauze?

- When will the leakage stop?

- When can I expect the burning to stop?
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 May 2017, 06:50

Hi my experience wasn't average but I would say from others and what I have read the burning on average takes a couple of weeks to stop.
I only ever had a little bit of blood no other kind of leakage and that stopped around day 5
If you were ready for a BM then it could have slipped out onto the gauze
Glad the burning is only lasting 30 mins
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 17 May 2017, 07:01

Hi there once again mypoorbutt,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was getting ready for a BM, so it could have been that. But I was scared because I didn't really feel the stool "slip out".

I'm not having much blood. Leakage is mainly yellow in appearance with very tiny amounts of blood. I don't know if the leakage is coming from my anus or from the incision site.

Yes the burning lasts for some time after a bowel movement, and not all day as it used to pre-LIS thank god.

The incision site is still a bit swollen and painful. But once again, nothing as disabling as the pain I used to go through before the surgery.

It's the yellow leakage that's making me overthink. Is it liquid stool? Is it coming from the incision or from my anus? When will it stop? I will be sure to ask my CRS when I see him again in a week.
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 18 May 2017, 05:17

Day 4 post-op:

Bathroom in the morning. Noticed that the yellow leakage on the gauze is less than previous days. Burning after BM is less intense than previous days. Still not sure if the burning is from the fissure site or the incision site. Pain and swelling on the incision site is less than previous days.

Still eating small meals, taking stool softeners, and taking sitz baths.
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather

Postby VictorianKnight55 » 19 May 2017, 04:49

Day 5 post-op:

Bathroom in the morning. Still some yellow seepage on the gauze from the incision site. Burning after BM is less intense than previous days and lasted only for >5 minutes. Still not sure if burning is from fissure site or incision site. Still some swelling when pressing on the incision site that can be felt at all times. But once again, in terms of pain, this is nothing compared to the pain pre-LIS. I hope everything resolves soon.

Also noticed some itchiness at the incision site. Not sure why is that.

Taking good care of the wound in terms of using sterile gauzes and an anti-septic.
VictorianKnight55
Salt Bather