LIS Recovery Diary

Diary describing my LIS experience.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Recovery Diary

Postby Canadabum » 24 Jun 2017, 08:36

Hopeful - thanks for the updates and congrats on your successes --woooohooo. Please keep the updates coming - super helpful for all of us.

So glad to hear that you are doing well - keep it up.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby kevinpdx » 28 Jun 2017, 10:11

Harper, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Do you know if the tightness is coming from the swelling or just a tight sphincter in general. I'm 4 weeks post op and I think my tightness is coming from the swelling, although it has improved each week since surgery. Before surgery, my sphincter was tight and I had a hard time with bulky stools, but after surgery the sphincter will open to accommodate the larger stools so i'm guessing my tightness is caused by the swelling
kevinpdx
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Hopeful0161 » 23 Jul 2017, 22:25

So I am currently 6 weeks post surgery and I don't feel healed yet. I'm pretty frustrated. Life has gotten way better that's for sure and the whole situation is more manageable but it's still there! I'm doing everything I should be and I don't know why it won't heal. Does anyone have any insight on this? My CRS told me to start taking a probiotic and I have been taking one for about 2 weeks now. It has really helped with my BM's and I think it was a good suggestion but why won't I heal!??? I'm so tired of my ass hurting all the time :(
Hopeful0161
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Jul 2017, 02:42

Hi sorry to hear your not fully healed but it's great your doing much better than you were
I know it's VERY frustrating for those of us who don't come out of LIS and feel back to normal a few weeks later
It took me six months to stop having any issues after a BM but now even after flares of my crohns I don't get spasms just burning
Some of us take longer to recover as our nerves have become hightend and respond to pain in that area much quicker my CRS said it's like someone who has been burgled will jump when they hear a noise in their house our nerves jump when they suspect pain and it takes a while for them to calm down.
Has your CRS said your fissure hasn't healed are is it just still painful
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Hopeful0161 » 24 Jul 2017, 16:39

6 months!? Oh my gosh I am so sorry! And I so hope that isn't me :( My CRS hasn't examined me recently to tell me that I haven't healed but I just know I haven't. I still feel the pinch when I have a BM. Sometimes there is no pain and sometimes there is. I feel like it is still on its way but I guess maybe I'm just being impatient. Like I said, I have learned to manage it but I hate the constant worrying about my next BM. Or if I go a day without one then I get so much anxiety. Not to mention that my relationship has suffered greatly from my inability to have sex. Maybe these things are what's making me so impatient.
Hopeful0161
Fibre Addict

Postby Payne4me » 29 Jul 2017, 10:20

Hopeful0161 your diary mirrors exactly my progress...im a little over 2 weeks post LIS...a couple of things: my surgeon Dr. Payne (believe it or not) has been wonderful!!! he recommended no cream or ointments. Im still bleeding with an AM BM...PM BM no blood Weird anyway he indicated that its superficial bleeding that will continue to improve...Discomfort most the time...bt much more tolerable than b4 surgery...His comment was your prognosis for healing was and still is 8-10 weeks....Ive got to try the seeds your talking about...thanks for your daily posts...
Payne4me
Salt Bather

Postby Payne4me » 11 Aug 2017, 09:08

Well 4 weeks post op yesterday...I went almost 2 weeks with any blood in my stool...Well yesterday it came back...i got a little brave and pushed a little too aggressively....(because i was feeling really good)....well i feel like my setback has pushed me back a week...the pain isnt severe...just annoying...but its my own fault...not eating right and then pushing rather than being patient....Its only 4 weeks..the surgeon said 8-10...so im figuring i better stay the course and be patient and start eating right again...anybody experience the same scenario?
Payne4me
Salt Bather

Postby Hopeful0161 » 11 Aug 2017, 12:06

I am 8 weeks post op and feel like I had a major setback this week. Everything feels all raw down there again and like the feeling of a cut. Before my surgery, it was mainly just a sore feeling with sharp pains during a bowel movement. This is a totally different feeling that I haven't had before. I have had a few setbacks over these 8 weeks. Its like everything is feeling normal for a while and then randomly it will hurt again and it takes a few days to start feeling normal again and on and on and on. I actually just scheduled an appointment to go see my CRS and figure out whats going on. I don't feel a steady and continuous progression. Every week or so, I feel like I go back to square one. :( My only advise to you is be patient (which is so hard!!), stay away from white flour, dairy, and meat, try to get all your fiber ever day, and drink tons of water. P.s. You should never ever ever push! Let your BM come out naturally. Meaning, when you have to go, dont ignore it! Go right when you have to go. Pushing is what contributed to this condition in the first place.
Hopeful0161
Fibre Addict

Postby Payne4me » 16 Aug 2017, 05:29

Hopeful0161 Day 3 no blood...discomfort still present afterwards. Tough diet regimen to follow...but Im learning the parameters...If I have a "bad" eating day..I just step up the dosage of Mirilax...right now I'm taking 2 stool softeners in the morning with a cap full of Mirilax...depending on my consumption...I might take a 2nd cap full at dinner....So far so good...how r u doing?
Payne4me
Salt Bather

Postby Hopeful0161 » 22 Aug 2017, 13:25

Payne4me hope you are still doing well. I've learned that diet is really the most important thing with this situation. I am almost 11 weeks post op and still feeling pain. I went to the CRS last Thursday with my concerns that I wasn’t healing and she examined me. She told me that "my anus looked beautiful" lol and that she couldn't see any fissures or hemorrhoids. This was good news to me but again still very confusing because I have never really felt back to normal. She explained that I am probably 90% healed and any "trauma" that occurs to the anus will cause it to re-tear a little bit and I will be in pain for about a week or so until it heals up again. I also told her that I seem to have issues following intercourse as well and she told me that intercourse can not harm it at all but that there is some vein or something that runs all along down there and it will take awhile for that to recover and no longer be as sensitive. She told me not to refrain though. So from here, I don’t know what to do. I am trying to follow a strict diet as much as possible but any time I eat anything that I love, I go right back to painful BM again and soreness after. Am I going to be like this forever? :( I’m only 27 years old. I still have my whole life ahead of me and many days of BM’s ahead of me :( :( :(
Hopeful0161
Fibre Addict