MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Aug 2012, 13:24

Jr2, I completely agree! I think people have to realize that they are their own best advocate. Don't let the doctor rush you. He is there to serve YOU. I always go in with a long list of questions and I refuse to leave until every question has been answered. I even occasionally follow up with questions via email.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Sep 2012, 13:06

Hey thisfissure, hows things now? Hope you are recovering still. I have had good news in that things are recovering now and healing. Not healed yet but my CRS thinks it will get there, its just time :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 Sep 2012, 13:21

Hi Sue:
Thanks for checking on me! I'm glad to hear you received a good report from your doctor!
I have my 6-week follow-up with my CRS tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'll get a good report, as well.
I will update here after my visit. Wish me luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Sep 2012, 13:23

Good luck! Will check tomorrow to see how you got on! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2012, 14:33

Hey TFCKMB,
Good luck too tomorrow! I'll be checking in to see how you got on too :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 Sep 2012, 14:35

Thanks ETO!
How are you doing?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Sep 2012, 14:47

Hi,
Thanks for asking -
But not too sure!
The fistula wound seems to have healed nicely and everything looks good visually, but I still have some discomfort and soreness, very ocassional discomfort during a BM but nothing that's totally unbearable - just irritating & frustrating now.
My CRS wants to do another EUA to ensure that everything's healing the way it should be and there's nothing else going on but was in no rush to do this. I'm waiting on another appointment now and not sure what's happening really, if anything is, or if this is still part of the healing process! Bit in limbo and confused again really Image
Nothing nasty going on - no discharge, bleeding etc. just some soreness, itching, odd twinge going on now & again.
So, wait and see I guess.......
How are you doing? Are you nearly at healdom or there?! You were doing great! Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 Sep 2012, 11:40

6-WEEK POST-OP DOCTOR VISIT
Hi everyone!
About two weeks ago, I started noticing that when I had a wider BM (1" or wider), even if it was soft, my sphincter felt like it was "stretching" and perhaps tearing a bit (sound familiar, anyone?). I also started to have some post-BM pain/discomfort (again). I have continued using Nifedipine post-surgery, per my doctor's instructions, which I think has reduced the post-BM pain (along with Ultram). I also occasionally feel like the area is raw, with some mild to moderate post-BM burning (spasms).
This morning was my 6-week post-op doctor's visit.
My CRS took a look and said my sphincter was really tight (despite the LIS!), and it appeared that the fistula healing had hit a plateau (basically, the fistula is now a fissure). My CRS said he wants me to continue to use Nifedipine and he will reevaluate in two weeks. If no further healing has taken place, he may have to redo the LIS. He said in ten years, he has only had to redo a LIS on two people. It looks like I may be lucky # three! As I mentioned before, my CRS is pretty conservative when it comes to cutting the muscle. Apparently, in my case, it appears that he may have been too conservative.
I should know more in a couple of weeks.
Apparently, my magical butt isn't done playing tricks on me just quite yet.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 07 Sep 2012, 13:25

thisfissure...
oh man, I am so sorry to hear this news. It always just feels especially maddening when someone takes the leap to have surgery, only to perhaps have to have it repeated.
I hope it doesn't come to another surgery, but if it does I guess the only bright spot is knowing you tolerated it so well the first time, hopefully it will be the same the second time around.
I'm just shaking my head over here. *sigh. We need to banish these fissures permanently, all of us.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 Sep 2012, 14:27

Thanks jr2!
After my visit, I made the executive decision (with the permission of my wife, of course) to feel sorry for myself for the rest of the day. However, tomorrow I am going to be back to my relentlessly cheerful self!
How are you doing?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to Fistula Success Stories