new here...your advice welcomed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

new here...your advice welcomed

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2008, 09:20

Hi! My name is Andrew and I am 24 years old. About 6 months ago I had two instances where I noticed after a BM that there was blood on the tissue paper. I didn't think too much of it because it hasn't happened since, but I am now having pain deep in my rectum and my anal sphincter is spasming and always stays "tightened" when I am standing and sometimes while sitting. I don't feel a lot of pain...just some discomfort and it seems to be deeper in the rectum. I am planning on seeing the doctor to find out exactly what is going on, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced their anal muscles tightening/spasming with their fissures?....After doing a lot of research online I feel like I experienced a fissure about 6 months ago and it hasn't healed or something...i dont know. Does this sound right to anyone??
Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Re: new here...your advice welcomed

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Sep 2008, 09:25

That's what they do. Classic symptom. Please read the posts/threads and learn what you can here, especially about diet.
Yes, they become chronic and won't heal with out intervention. You need to see a CRS, not a regular doctor. But your GP may have to refer you.
Once you read the various threads it will be pretty clear what is going on with you down there..
The spasms and tightness are the primary reason you don't heal, there is not enough adequate blood flow to the fissure site.
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 17 Sep 2008, 09:31

Hi Andrew,
yeah, unless you're extremely lucky your normal GP wont really have a clue although you could ask them for either diltiazem, nifedipine or nitro - any of these would really help with your spasms and pain and could heal the fissure. But a CRS (colo-rectal surgeon) would be better.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2008, 09:44

Hey Andrew,
Welcome to our forum! Yes, like Kim and Val mentioned spasming is a classic sign of a fissure. There are non-surgical ways to deal with it like using compounded blood pressure medicines that Val mentioned. They are in a petroleum base and are applied to the anus several times a day. Taking baths can also help to bring more blood to the area for healing.
Diet modification is also very important. Have you had a chance to read much on the forum yet? There is a lot of great info here but it does take awhile to get through it all. Let us know if you have any specific concerns or questions!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Sep 2008, 10:25

BTW, your GP *can* examine you and determine if a fissure is present, and prescribe the creams mentioned above.
Nitroglycerin is another "cream" that works but gives awful headaches, though they diminish over time.
Less conservative treatments include Botox shots, anal dilitation (dilation) and LIS surgery. The surgery is the most effective option. But as long as your pain levels are low, you might want to avoid it.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2008, 13:14

Image Andrew !
Your symptoms do sound like that of an anal fissure, firstly you do need to have this confirmed !
A good diet is key, keeping the stools soft and having a good toilet routine is part of the process Image
You will find heaps of really good information here, i am sure it will help you - the search function at the top is a great tool too Image

Postby small_flower » 17 Sep 2008, 15:07

Hi Andrew!
Wow! Another 24 year old! I am sorry you ended up here, but at least I am not the only "kid" here anymore.
It does sound to me like you have a fissure going on down there. Like the others said, go see a colo-rectal surgeon for an accurate diagnosis. He or she will be able to tell you the best course of treatment (in terms of creams, botox, surgery etc.) I don't know how quick you can get into a CRS but in the mean time:
Start soaking in the bath tub on a regular basis
Try to gradually increase the intake of fiber in your diet
Drink TONS of water
Start (possibly) taking magnesium glycineate supplements (i started at 100 mg and that helps me keep things soft and it puts less strain on your muscles) You can get these at a compounding pharmacy.
If you do a lot of sitting, make sure you get up on a regular basis and take 10 minute walks. You have to keep the blood flowing down there.
No thong underwear (lol, just kidding!) Image
I hope that you can get to a doctor soon and that your problem isn't serious. The sooner you get it looked at and the sooner you start treatment, the better off you will be.
Glad to have a peer on the forum.
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Sep 2008, 15:42

Hi Andy - yeah, sorry that you had to come and visit us , but you are surely more than welcome !!! Your symptoms are soooo typical for a fissure that I have no doubts you got one of those "torture devices" in you poor behind : ( !
BUT !!!! There is so much that can be done to ease your pain and discomfort and promote healing and I hope you will find a ton of info here - read as much as you can- I know : (, thousands of posts , but
it will help you immensely !
In the meantime , find very good CRS (colorectal surgeon) , take stool softeners like Colace, mineral oil, Milk of Magnesia and start with small doses - VERY important - you do not want to end up with diarrhea : (. Take a 20 min long warm baths as often as you can (3-4 at least) and immediately after going pooping. ( yes , we here use "explicate" terms LOL - please feel no shame to ask anything - it would be nothing we did not here so far - DEFINITELY
!!!
Eat a lot of veggies and fruits, whole grains. Avoid red meat ( fish and chicken are ok , BUT they should be a part of a meal, not major ingredient). Avoid cheese, coffee, alcohol (one of the worst), and spicy food just because it will burn more on the "exit".
Take some Ibuprofen if you can - will help with pain and inflammation.
With all of this you have to start TODAY LOL, and when you find CRS he/she will give you even more "ammunition" ; ) ! When you search for CRS , even before you make app., ask if he is versed in treating fissures with creams and Botox. If yes, make an app. !
Best of luck Andy - I hope you will leave this board as fast as you came LOL, although Kate will miss you ; )) ! JK JK
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby dano » 17 Sep 2008, 20:35

HI EVERONE!! :D
kinda reminds me of my symptoms,except i didnt have the bleeding,just a "dull discomfort" inside the butt...dont bother using the suppositories that the regular doc will offer you! waste of time..get on some kind of fiber supplament to keep the poo "soft and comfortable",i used metamucil and take it EVERYDAY...and get to the doc asap,the sooner you get going the better,i ended up with the nitroglycerin cream and in a few months i was all fixed up,though it does give you headaches,it goes away..guess its the price you have to pay....
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby juney » 17 Sep 2008, 21:31

careful kate, don't start mentioning age around here. i got totally chastised for that awhile ago!!!! LOL.
i was quickly put in my place and made to realize that everyone suffers the same regardless of whether we are in our 20s or in our 80s.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36