Diltiazem Worked for Me

What worked for me

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Diltiazem Worked for Me

Postby kiberg » 20 Feb 2014, 13:57

I was recently declared healed and thought I would pass along what worked for me. After experiencing burning and bleeding after hard bowel movements for several years, I finally went to the University of Minnesota Colon and Rectal surgery clinic to find out what the issue was. I had thought it was internal hemorrhoids, but after an exam was surprised to hear it was an anal fissure. I didn't have much pain. I did have a skin tag. I think I must have had it for a few years.

I was prescribed a topical ointment of Diltiazem (2%?) to be applied three times a day for eight weeks. In addition, I took 1 tsp of Metamucil in the morning, one stool softener capsule, sometimes Miralax, and drank 8 – 10 glasses of water per day. As for diet, each morning I eat a bowl of oatmeal with stewed prunes/fruits for breakfast. I tried to eat one meal a day that contained beans, for additional fiber. For eight weeks, I was very strict with this regimen, and it’s not easy to drink that much water every day, especially when traveling. So, after the eight weeks, in a follow-up exam, I was declared healed! I’m off the Diltiazem and now I have to keep up with the fiber and water for the rest of my life.

Everyone is different and I know this may not work for everyone. Just wanted to pass along a success story.
kiberg

Topics: 1

Re: Diltiazem Worked for Me

Postby Scientist2516 » 20 Feb 2014, 15:09

Fantastic, Kiberg. Thanks for the post. It's great to hear success stories. Keep up the good diet, and stay healed.
:stars:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16