My LIS Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My LIS Diary

Postby Tight5 » 10 Mar 2014, 09:22

Day 11 (I think)...It's Monday. Surgery was a week ago Friday. I am back in the office this morning and feeling good. I had a very good weekend with the pain and discomfort from BMs continuing to gradually decrease...at 46 years old I'm starting to get used to the idea that nothing heals as fast as it used to (or as fast as I want it to). Yesterday I wanted to test my ability to move on to the rest of life following my trip to the toilet so I did the routine cleanup and skipped the immediate tub soak. I took advantage of the spring weather in Atlanta and seeded our backyard lawn then made a trip to the grocery store...all without any significant discomfort. I did have a good soak later in the evening.

Today's movement happened here at work and continued the same improving trend. I'm realizing that sitting in the desk chair aggravates the situation a bit. I'll definitely need to get off my ass and walk around through the day. It also appears that the fluid discharge had decreased a bit over the past 36 hours.

I'm doing my best to stick to the fruity/veggie/fiber diet although I've added what amounts to more normal dinners the past few nights...BBQ'd chicken/green beans/baked beans last night. No red meat yet which counts as a sacrifice for me. But the fear of what it might do is, so far, outweighing my cravings. I'm taking a nightly dose of Miralax and a whatever fiber gummies I think I need to get me to my daily target. That seems to be working to maintain the desired stool consistency. I'll keep that up for the foreseeable future.

That's about it for now. I'm not scheduled to see the doc for another two weeks. More later...
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 10 Mar 2014, 12:15

Great! You seem to be doing well. Just don't overdo it. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Tight5 » 11 Mar 2014, 11:17

Thanks, Savaici. While I'm trying to get back to something close to normal life, I'm still very careful about my activity level and what I'm eating...except for that Five Guys burger a few nights ago. Man, after several days of soups and fruit, that was good!...and no nasty repercussions.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 17 Mar 2014, 14:42

It's been a few days and recovery has continued to be uneventful until this morning's BM where I had a little bit of blood during the clean up. It's the first noticeable blood since the surgery. I'm assuming it came from the LIS incision. There was no pain or any discomfort and the stool was only slightly harder than what it's been since surgery. I'm trying not to worry too much but I've put in a call to the doctor's office to get their opinion. In the few hours since the BM I've had a bit of an increase in the fluid discharge (which seemed to have almost stopped overnight) but it's returned to the usual faint pink color.

Should the incision site still be in a condition where a slightly firmer stool would open it up a bit (17 days since LIS)?

Thanks.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 24 Mar 2014, 10:45

Today is 24 days since surgery...The previous incident of blood was a one-day event. But yesterday's BM also produced some blood, as did today's. Like the first time, it's not much. I think the bleeding might have been caused, in both cases, by some severe itching that led to some almost unconscious scratching. The only significant discomfort has been itching. The evacuation process and the aftermath continue to be almost entirely pain-free except for Friday: Thursday night I went to my team's softball game (the doctor said not to play yet) and watched from the bench. I think that hour of sitting on a hard surface irritated the bum a bit the next day. I didn't notice any discomfort while I was there.

I'm continuing with a dose of Miralax every night and plenty of water and fruit/veggies. I've been bringing more of my traditional diet back into meals. Steak last night and some pizza on Saturday with no adverse affects.

I have my first follow-up with the doc tomorrow. We'll see what he says about the bleeding. Other than that all is well.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 28 Mar 2014, 09:27

So, today is 4 weeks out from surgery. Overall I feel like I'm doing very well. I had my check-in with the doctor two days ago. He seemed pleased with my progress and said that both the fissure and the LIS incision were healing as expected. He said the bleeding I've noticed is from some granulation tissue at the incision and not to worry too much about it. He did say that at my next visit, if the granulation tissue is still there he would use something (which I'm now learning is probably silver nitrate) to cauterize it. He mentioned that it will sting a good bit...great. I had to look up granulation tissue as I was totally unfamiliar with the term and treatment. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby vdb324 » 29 Mar 2014, 09:51

Your diary is helpful for me, as I have recently had LIS.
Beware, the silver nitrate was a pain in the arse, quite literally. I still don't know if it was on par or worse than fissure pain, but it goes away after and hour or two, thankfully, and I took a tylenol an hour after that helped. I would recommend taking one before going in or immediately after.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Tight5 » 15 Apr 2014, 16:54

I'm now at just past 6 weeks since surgery and it feels like I've taken a step backwards. BMs the last 2 days have been slightly painful and in a way that is reminiscent of fissure pain. I had a second check up with the CRS today and he said that the fissure is not fully healed (he put it at 60-70%) and that was likely the source of my discomfort. He didn't say it directly but I got the vibe that he had hoped it would be further along by now...although he did say they typically take 6-8 weeks. But the pain has me a good bit discouraged at the moment.

He put me on a hydrocortisone suppository and said that his next "trick" to help finish this off would be the silver nitrate to cauterize the unhealed flesh at my next check-in in three weeks. Yeah.

That's about it for now. Fingers crossed that this is a temporary setback and that I can get this fissure healed up in the next couple of weeks.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 16 Apr 2014, 07:23

Good luck with the suppositories, I really hope they do the trick, and get you all he way there!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Savaici » 16 Apr 2014, 12:25

Crossing my fingers that they help, and thinking of you, TS.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222