My LIS Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My LIS Diary

Postby Tight5 » 04 Jun 2014, 15:19

After getting the nitro script from my gastro doctor I had some communication issues with the pharmacy and ended up not getting the medicine until just a couple of days ago. I decided to wait until after yesterday's appointment with my CRS to start with it. I asked him about it and he said give it a shot. He mentioned he was going to suggest a new ointment he's just started working with that is a combination of muscle relaxant/anti-biotic/protectant. I didn't get the name of the med.

As for my condition, I continue to have something between virtually no pain related to bowel movements to occasional days where they sting somewhat significantly (maybe 3-4 on the pain scale compared to the 7-8 range when the fissure was in full bloom). It will flare up for a couple of days then subside for a week or more. My CRS said the fissure looks to still be getting smaller but it's obviously not gone. Yesterday he noticed a small flap of granulation tissue hanging from the fissure site that he felt might be rubbing on the fissure, prevent it from healing completely. He snipped it off with scissors. Last night I did my first dose of nitro. No headache or light-headedness. I'll continue with that and up to the proscribed 2/day if I don't have any problems.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sotiredofthis » 04 Jun 2014, 17:30

How did that snipping of the tissue feel? That doesn't sound like much fun. I never got headaches from the nitro either.

I am 5 weeks 3 days from my LIS and I'm still feeling some stinging on my fissure site when I sit. My bms are good. I'm taking just a little miralax at night. I had my stitches removed at 4 1/2 weeks and that helped a lot on the incision area. That isn't hurting at all now. My main problem before LIS was sitting and unfortunately I still have that problem. I'm hoping with more time that will go away.

I'm praying the nitro works for you and you can get on the road to complete healing!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Tight5 » 04 Jun 2014, 20:38

Thanks for the prayers and support, sotiredofthis. I hope you are well on your way to full healing, as well. The snip was only a small sting...and very brief. The piece snipped off was literally no bigger than a flea and the doc had said that it likely would not have any nerves in it. Not a big deal.

I do the nightly Miralax as well. Stools are consistently soft except for one day late last week that led to the flare up. For whatever reason the bm was just slightly larger and harder than normal. I had the sitting problem during the high point of fissure suffering. I think I mentioned elsewhere that I had to be careful not to have a bm prior to long car or plane trips...which was not always successful. That situation is much improved. Overall I feel like I'm 80% there with the healing and trying really hard to knock out that last 20%.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby sotiredofthis » 05 Jun 2014, 06:53

It's been a long road for you. Your surgery was over 3 months ago. I'm always amazed when people on here heal after surgery in a matter of a few weeks. Praying both of us are completely healed very soon and can get on with our lives.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Tight5 » 06 Jun 2014, 09:10

Yeah, I was really hopeful for that quick recovery after surgery after letting it fester for a year. My point of hopeful focus now is the fact that I'm not in my 20's (or 30's) anymore and the body simply takes longer to heal than it used to. I've noticed that with all types of injuries.

I've done the nitro three times now and have not had any significant side effects...I hope I'm getting enough of it to the right place. Nitro takers: Should there be any noticeable affect besides the headaches/light headedness that some experience?

Thanks.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby Tight5 » 01 Jul 2014, 15:36

I was back at the CRS office today for a check-in. It's been 4 weeks of nitro. The Good: I've been almost totally pain-free for a couple of weeks. The Not-So-Good: The fissure persists. Doc says granulation tissue continues to stick up through the fissure, keeping the skin on either side from coming together. Two visits ago he hit it with silver nitrate. He says that shrunk the fissure some. Last visit he snipped off a small bit of tissue. Today he hit it with the silver nitrate again. I had to evacuate about an hour after the appointment and it's been uncomfortable since then.

I have a couple more weeks of nitro left. At that point I will see the GI doc who proscribed it. I will also be seeing the CRS each of the next two weeks so he can keep a better eye on any progress from the silver nitrate.

I'm starting to get a little worried about what else can be done to finish this bastard off. While my day-to-day life is vastly improved over pre-LIS days, I really, really want to be done with all this.

More as it happens...
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby sotiredofthis » 01 Jul 2014, 19:08

I'm sorry you're still dealing with this mess. I'm 9 weeks post LIS now and still cannot sit. I'm seeing my CRS again next week.

Praying we both can get over this and get on with our lives once and for all!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 01 Jul 2014, 20:57

Sorry to hear the fissure persists. I have been following your progress since before my surgery. Hope you kick the bugger soon!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Tight5 » 02 Jul 2014, 11:16

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.

Had today's BM and, for the first time since the LIS, had bleeding. Now, the doc told me that the silver nitrate treatment could make it sore for a few days. And I'm assuming that burning off the granulation tissue exposes raw tissue underneath...leading to the blood.

No pain which is helping to keep me from freaking out. I'm going to assume for now that this is temporary and carry on like it's all part of the process...at least MY process.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby sotiredofthis » 02 Jul 2014, 12:03

It makes sense that the burning off of tissue could lead to some raw areas. No pain is the key!!

Praying that's all it is for you, too!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist