Thinking of LIS

never thought i would get here

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Thinking of LIS

Postby sweetpea » 10 Jul 2014, 16:56

Saw my CRS today; she found a small fissure (pain not correlated with size, she said!)-
recommended LIS - if cream (dilt) doesn't work.

I am to go back in three weeks.

I am really scared. Apparently there is "no cure" if one does get incontinent.

However, reading this board, that doesn't seem to happen. more likely is that there is residual pain? that is, if something does go wrong. Often things turn out really well, it appears.

thanks.
sweetpea
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Thinking of LIS

Postby Jbl22424 » 10 Jul 2014, 16:58

I was scared of surgery, too, but I'm so happy I had it! You can do botox first which is more conservative, but I don't regret getting LIS because I was pain free within a week and haven't had trouble since. Botox is a slower and less reliable method but it doesn't pose the incontinence risk.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Thinking of LIS

Postby Deleted User 3712 » 11 Jul 2014, 03:49

I was really scared too, since I already had LIS 4 years ago (the dr. was very conservative with his cutting of the muscle), and just had LIS again 4 days ago, so I thaught I would have a greater chance of having some sort of incontinence afterwards. But seems like everything is the way it should be. I get the urge to have a BM really quickly, but am able to hold it and haven't had any sort of leakage or skid marks. So don't be scared, it'll be worth it in the end.
Deleted User 3712