Hello

Finally some people who understand!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello

Postby msimon » 13 Aug 2014, 16:45

I agree. I have often wondered how someone can have such an ongoing pan in the butt (for whatever reason/cause) and not end up with chronic pain and tightness. How do you not tense up when you are in pain and having anxiety about basic human functions?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Alyssa » 13 Aug 2014, 19:34

I wish I had the answer to that... My pt gives me exercises to help relax me before having a bm... It doesn't work, I still have pain.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Alyssa » 16 Aug 2014, 17:44

Msimon,

Had one question regarding the pelvic floor dysfunction, did you (prior to fissures) only have pain rectally? Or did you also have pair vaginally? My doctor asked me if I had any pain in the vaginal area or if sex was painful but I don't have that issue. She was surprised because she said that people with tight muscles like mine complain about pain in the whole pelvic area not just one.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby msimon » 16 Aug 2014, 18:32

Alyssa, my pain began with rectal but then in hindsight I did find I was having pain with intercourse that was probably related. Maybe you just have a high pain tolerance? Do you have any pain with orgasm? That's a sure sign of pelvic floor dysfuntion to me. Your PT said that your muscles are tight...did she find trigger points or tight bands of muscle? Did she check how well you can control your muscles (ie., do Kegels-contract but yet still fully relax)? Maybe yor external sphincter is the problem.
msimon

Postby Alyssa » 16 Aug 2014, 22:15

Msimon,

I don't have high pain tolerance; I don't know about any trigger points all they said is that my muscles surrounding the sphincter were tight which is the reason I have pain. I just had a baby 6 months ago so it's not like my sex drive is high... But I have not experienced (or noticed) any pain during intercourse. I would have noticed it right? I really don't know much about pelvic floor dysfunction but it seems that you do... All I know is that my ass hurts when I poop and when I sit on my anus for a long period of time...it burns. I guess I need to ask more questions at my next appointment.. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should ask?

I still don't get how a fissure led to the pelvic floor dysfunction diagnosis though (or vise versa) its just so confusing...
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby msimon » 16 Aug 2014, 22:22

Yes I do know a lot about pelvic floor dysfunction but sadly not enough as I continue to suffer. Pain in the area makes things so much worse as I then tighten up. The theory is that some people hold tension in certain areas of their body and for those of us with pelvic floor dysfunction it is there. I think previous trauma is a common cause for it.

As for your pelvic floor, did your physio help the pain at all when they worked on the muscles? During intercourse, it started by feeling almost like I needed more lubrication, kind of frictiony/burning. It also hurt if he should bump my cervix. Orgasm would give me a charlie horse throughout my perineum.

I get the sense that you are not convinced that your pelvic floor muscles are the cause of your butt pain. When you go poop does your butt feel tight like it won't open up properly?
msimon

Postby Alyssa » 16 Aug 2014, 23:26

Msimon,

I really don't know what to think... I am just confused by all this! I was normal 7 months ago; the only thing that changed was that I delivered my daughter via csection... And then had my first bm... Days later had pain.... Told I had a fissure... I haven't been the same since!
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 16 Aug 2014, 23:34

I definitely hold a lot of tension there... I do feel tightness when my stool is not very soft but now I fear any slight pushing because I have pain.
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby msimon » 17 Aug 2014, 00:56

I ask because I have nonrelaxing puborectalis syndrome. This is where that muscle that pulls forward to maintain continence doesn't relax when you need it to and/or the external sphincter won't relax. I used to get such awful burning butt pain after a BM and I believe this was due to the muscles not relaxing during the BM because the botox into this muscle group helped with that pain.

When I first saw a Doctor for my problem she initially did trigger point injections into the muscles (this is where they use Marcaine or some other anesthetic) rather than botox. I responded to these injections but it didn't last long. For some people they only need a few of these treatments and not botox. If you respond and it doesn't last then you know you are in he right place but need something longer acting...botox.

From what I have heard it is common to have fissures following childbirth (often from breastfeeding even-hormones etc).

Were you checked for nerve pain? Maybe something was damaged during the c-section?
msimon

Postby Alyssa » 17 Aug 2014, 01:11

I get the hot, burning, stinging pain during bm which subsides within a few minutes..Then sitting for long periods of time my anus starts to feel as though its burning... Like I added icy hot in there.
I didn't breastfeed but I think my fissure was due to my first bm...hormones huh... I asked the therapist about nerve pain but they said its my muscles...
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP