New to the forum, but sadly not AF's!

Looking for advice after much research

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum, but sadly not AF's!

Postby AngelFish » 14 Sep 2014, 06:48

Hello All, I'm Angelfish from the UK aged 20 and new to the forum. Been suffering with 2 chronic AF's and IBS for over a year now. 1st treatment/diagnostics fairly conservative then had to go to acute care as miles away from my GP. Given GTN twice by acute care AND GP who was very disinterested/perfunctory and refused to refer to CRs for look-see. Mum put me on high fibre, psyllium and wholefood/veg diet =slight reduction in spasming and blood loss incidents. Sitz baths help. This is a very good forum, a godsend and have learned much and that some things work for some, and some don't. Can any fellow UK suffers tell me if diltiazem is obtainable in the UK as it seems to be 'unlicensed' here but I note some of you have been on are on it and how did you/do you find its efficacy? Also would it be prescribed if GTN didn't work? Any advice please and also how to persuade a GP to refer me to a CRs ? Thank you
AngelFish

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum, but sadly not AF's!

Postby owmybum » 14 Sep 2014, 07:19

Yes diltiazem is available here, but can only be prescribed by a consultant, not a gp, as it's unlicensed.
I would insist on a refferal to a colorectal surgeon... Your dr sounds very unhelpful, so be insistent. Maybe bring your mum in with you??
It's great your mum has got you on the right path diet wise, and sitz baths can be very soothing.

Read up on all the info on here that you can... I learnt far more here than anywhere else!

Ps. Welcome to the board!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby woundedspirit » 14 Sep 2014, 08:10

Welcome! So sorry you are suffering. I don't know anything about how thing work in the UK but I know there are many on here that do and are willing to share what they know. Sorry you are suffering. Remember to drink lots of water as you increase your fiber intake so stools stay soft.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Sep 2014, 09:23

Hi Angel, :wel:

I'm in the UK and yes, you must obtain the Diltiazem through a GP prescription.
I am one of the "success stories" using this - I started on the GTN, but it gave me really bad head rushes, so asked to switch, which was no issue. I used the cream religiously for about 6 weeks or so, twice a day, and noticed an almost immediate reduction in pain relief. I was initially afraid of coming off it but it had worked well enough to allow my fissure to heal to such an extent that it was no longer creating all that horrible pain and it went on to fully heal in the end.
A stool softener is also key (I used Lactulose) and hot baths/ hot water bottle also help with the pain relief. It sounds like your mum is a great support and doing all the right things to help you, which is brilliant!
My tip when you see your GP is to be completely honest about your pain levels and if needs be, exaggerate even to get your referral to a CRS as soon as possible. If the worst comes to the worst and this is taking time, you could consider setting up your first consultation as a private patient (which OK, is costly) but it gets you into the "system" - this is what I did. I started as a private patient and once diagnosed, requested to continue the treatment under the NHS.
I wish you all the very best with this and hope you are able to find some relief very soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Datura » 16 Sep 2014, 00:36

Hi, I don't know anything about how things work in the UK but wanted to welcome you to the forum, although I am sorry as to what brought you here.
Datura
Fibre Addict

Postby AngelFish » 12 Oct 2014, 12:12

Hello all, thanks so much for replies. Sorry not been posting back on here but Uni been taking up all time and energies, not forgetting healthy cooking/eating.
Thanks for the info re Diltiazem. I suppose it is another vasodilator (?) like GTN and handy to know about.
Well, it seems the GTN has helped tremendously (despite side-effects and a migraine) coupled with the whole food/fruit/veg diet, the horrible pain, spasms and daily bleeds are virtually gone, just the odd challenge. Phew! What a relief! I also used aloe vera and coconut oil to ease movements. I realise I might not be out of the woods yet and it may reoccur. but at least. thanks to everyone here, I have some great information to re-tackle it, should the need arise. Excellent thinking about a private consultation by the way. All the very best to all of you and may you all find solutions to your pain and suffering.
AngelFish