How to make stool softer? Miralax works...but... (Diary)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to make stool softer? Miralax works...but... (Diary)

Postby Zizi » 31 Jan 2015, 02:02

2/5/2015
Qs Update: after taking miralax, I can't have a complete bm. Always have more stool inside but can't push it out...
Do I need to lower dosage? The left over stool didn't cause problem yesterday and today but if I could
I would still like to have a complete bm without worrying about the left over stool to cause problem
the next day. Also, does it mean I can eat everything I want to eat now after taking miralax? How long can I can I take miralax or at what point do I stop taking it? What will happen if I take miralax but not drinking enough water? Help plz~

My old fissure came back after a hard stool on Wednesday, which leave me with a painful anus right now. Hoping someone can give me some advice on how to thin stool.... Only the first part of the stool is bulky. After the first part got out, the rest is very soft and watery. Also, does anyone know what ointment to relax the muscle or stop the pain in that area before bm? Because the pain is making the anus constricted, harder to let the stool get through because there is barely any room. I hope my question make sense to everyone. Not a native English speaker. Please feel free to ask me for more clarification! :)

1/31
Today, I got more blood when I went number two again... I used lidocaine before I went so I would still be able to complete my bm. I have started drinking olive oil to soften the stool, it did work. I don't have small, hard stool. However, even the stool was soft but it's too bulky to pass without tearing the fissure. I found that drinking the oil make my stool more bulky. I took a docusate sodium after lunch, planning to take another one before I go to bed....hopefully I will get loose stool tomorrow. If anyone knows how to get the stool loose and soft please let me know>< very desperate... by the way, I have no trouble having bm once a day, I usually have bm in the morning. Thinking about getting miralax, if I drink it before I go to bed, will I have loose, watery stool the next morning?
Last edited by Zizi on 08 Feb 2015, 12:42, edited 4 times in total.
Zizi
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: How to make stool thinner or smaller? Miralax?

Postby hurtinend » 01 Feb 2015, 12:25

you must drink lots of water all day, most important is diet - lots of leafy green vegetables and raw fruit...healthy in....healthy out...
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Zizi » 01 Feb 2015, 12:51

hurtinend, thank you for the reply! I do drink at least 1.5 liter of water everyday and eat leafy green vegetables with every meals.

Update: Had bm this morning, use lidocaine before bm so I will be able to complete my bm so the pain wouldn't cause constriction and make it harder to go. The docusate sodium I took after lunch and before bedtime yesterday didn't work... Much more blood than yesterday... Same as usual, the first part of my stool was bulky and hard... the rest were loose and little bit watery. How can I make the first part thin and watery too... Thinking about getting miralax today...dont' know if it will help or not... Had a dream last night that I was constipated and woke up scared.... sigh...
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby JHH » 01 Feb 2015, 14:54

You have the "plug effect" :-(

I had it for some months until I figured out how to fix it.

First try miralax/movicol. This works for most, but unfortunately I got some nasty side effects from it even though my BM's were smooth like never before.

If that doesn't work, try with magnesium oxide and/or lactulose. This worked very well for me.

Also, I drank (and still drink) at least 2 liters of water daily. More if Im sweating from heat or workout.

Good luck!

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Zizi » 01 Feb 2015, 18:13

Hi JHH, thank you for the advice. I took one dose of miralax before lunch today. A bit worry that I will get another bm later because of it because I like my bm once a day every morning. Could you tell me how do you take miralax and magnesium oxide? the dosage, early morning or evening for both? Thank you!!!

I search the plug effect on the forum and found out about the finger technique and squatting. Was wondering how to do the finger technique. Also, wouldn't squatting on the toilet widen the fissure more?
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby hurtinend » 02 Feb 2015, 09:57

i took miralax and it worked great, but after a few months it stopped working for me so I stopped and switched to magnesium citrate supplement and it works well. Also, I bought a "squatty potty" and that makes things come out easier I recommend it.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Zizi » 02 Feb 2015, 12:01

Hi hurtinend, thanks for the suggestion. If miralax stops working for me, I will try magnesium citrate supplement too. Also,is the squatty potty same as squatting on the toilet? Do you have the same position?

Update:
This morning I went for number 2 and it didn't bleed! So, miralax works I think. But, I had a tiny cramping feeling last night and when I sleep I can feel my stomach rumpling a lot, kind of scare me. Before I went number 2, I lubricated my anus and rectum, while my finger was inside, I also tried to break apart some stool to make it more loose. (I still use lidocaine after I woke up, right before I go I use vasaline for lubrication). After that, I squatted on top of the toilet seat today and put my finger behind anus, trying to do the finger trick, not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Even though I didn't bleed today, but I feel there are remaining stool inside me.... I strained a little bit but it won't come out. So, I gave up and hoping it won't give me trouble tomorrow.... I took a sitz bath afterward and applied Mayinglong ointment. Had a sip of olive oil around 8:44am. By the way, still have stinging and itching feeling.
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby JHH » 02 Feb 2015, 14:02

Hi Zizi

I only took movicol (called miralax in the US) for a week before I had to stop. BM's were great though.

Then I swiched to lactolose and magnesia, which worked almost as well as movicol.

I still take magnesia 500mg every day even though I healed my fissure okt '13. I also squat, and feels it helps the BM's dump out easier.

Regarding the finger support trick, read this thread: new-toilet-seat-heals-posterior-fissures-t6671.html

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Zizi » 02 Feb 2015, 17:12

Hi JHH, thanks for the link to the thread. Saw the video, I will continue with the finger support technique. It's just a little bit difficult the squat and use the finger at the same time...and I still need to push my stomach with my hand in order to have BM too. I need more hands! >.<

Update: poke my rectum while applying the ointment...hope it won't cause a problem...don't need another fissure....
Zizi
Salt Bather

Postby Zizi » 03 Feb 2015, 12:41

Went to use number 2 earlier, only a little bit of stool came out. I can feel a lot of them still inside. Don't understand why this is happening... I was able to have a complete bm even when I have fissure I thought miralax is going to soften it, not deterring me from having complete bm... still had sitz bath afterward, and drank 300ml of honey water (hoping it would help me push out rest of stool).
Zizi
Salt Bather