When you consider that surgery might be easier to handle!

Anal Fissure Still Bleeding Slow Recovery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

When you consider that surgery might be easier to handle!

Postby BeyondPain » 09 Mar 2015, 11:05

Hi, my name is Karim, I'm 48 years old. I'm glad that I found this website and community which has already been helpful.

I'm overweight and have been struggling with weight loss even with different programs. I do have hemorrhoids which have been manageable. Sometime at night and if I anticipate pain, I sleep with an ice pack under my buttocks which seems to be OK. I've resisting going to doctors. Just a sense of unease. I did have a colonoscopy when I turned 45, nearly 4 years ago. Surprising now I'm more at ease mentioning my anal fissure to my family and friends.

I was traveling on Feb 18, when I indulged on veggies (sugar snaps and cherry tomatoes). I believe that's what led to a diarrhea which in my humble opinion is what led to my severe case of anal fissure (not constipation as one would imagine). This did not happen until later that night which was after dinner at a sushi restaurant where our orders included sashimi with jalapeño peppers! I usually avoid hot food since I do not handle it well when passing stools. I guess I ignored that sign for too long!

What a night of pain and torture! I never experienced any pain like I did that night. I did have some bleeding in the past on occasions, but the pain was negligible. This is so painful that you would start considering avoiding going to the bathroom so as not to experience it. I guess that would make things even worse.

Since I was traveling and did not want to go to a new doctor, I decided I would try some remedy, assuming that this is slightly more advanced case than what I had in the past. I went to a pharmacy down the street and asked the pharmacist for a recommendation. I got Anusol suppositories and ointment. I also went on a high fiber diet and drank loads of water.

The worst part is that I had to chair board meetings for 2 days and had to handle this situation in office bathrooms. I'm not comfortable going to any bathroom that's not mine.

The pain continued and the bleeding continued. After a few days, I went to another pharmacist and switched to Anusol-HC suppositories and ointment. The pain did not subside. I have to admit that administering those suppositories after every passing of stool was torture!

It wasn't until Feb 26 that I got to see my gastroenterologist who has been a savior of sorts. Stopped the Anusol and switched to:
Xylocaine Jelly, which has 2% Hydrocortizone
Procto-Glyvenol suppositories (one at night)

He said that it will take at least two weeks and that the initial week while traveling and while on Anusol does not count. I have to admit that the Xylocaine Jelly has reduced the pain considerably. There were a few good days where the bleeding stopped and I thought I was relieved only to return.

This morning I had more bleeding and the doctor added Diovenor (Diosmin) 600mg oral tablets twice a day to reduce the bleeding. I searched for it on this website but did not find any reference.

I'm hoping this will do it. In the meantime I continue to do sitz baths everyday and I'm on a maximum fiber diet including Metamucil (I'm literally a vegetarian). I drink nearly 3 liters a day.The negatives of this added fiber is the gas that comes with it. Releasing it was extremely painful in the start. Now it is less so. I do take Beano before eating those foods. I believe in my case it has helped control the gas at least right after the meal. There is build up during the course of the day or night. It's been somewhat manageable.

Sorry for the lengthy intro! I do feel with everyone here who has an anal fissure. I'm hoping that this is something that can go away once and for all and that surgery can be avoided assuming that it will be even more painful than the current state I'm in.

Thank you for reading.
BeyondPain

Topics: 1

Re: When you consider that surgery might be easier to handle

Postby jlm1 » 09 Mar 2015, 18:38

Hi Karim,
Just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your troubles!! That sounds like it was very intense. It may clear up on it's own. You might want to see a CRS next if it doesn't. Be careful with the fiber.....don't over do it. Keep soaking. I had botox for a fissure and it worked so surgery is not the only option. But if it comes to it, many people recover well. Hang in there and keep posting. It such a horrible pain!!!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: When you consider that surgery might be easier to handle

Postby BeyondPain » 10 Mar 2015, 16:15

Hi jlm1, thank you for your feedback. Most helpful. I've taken note of high fiber. I will try to reach optimum food intake to avoid constipation or a hard stool. Many thanks!
BeyondPain

Topics: 1