Just had F.I.S. surgery, how long till i can play drums?

fissures and drumming

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Just had F.I.S. surgery, how long till i can play drums?

Postby drummerinpain » 20 May 2015, 22:16

hello all. to start out i suffered from an EXTREMELY painful fissure for the better part of months. i experienced them for the last 5 years but came to an all time bad with the worst pain ive ever felt in my life. to the point where after bowel movements i practically wept into my girlfriends arms cause of the pain and im not the baby when it comes to most pain. i have tattoos covering a good amount of my body, some in very painfull places, and i grew up skateboarding and snowboarding. ive been through broken, and fractured bones, to road rash from motorcycle accidents that got infected and had to have the skin removed. and this by far was the WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE. i went to the ER, my health clinic physician, and a urgent care doctor and was told by all of them i had internal hemorrhoids. i finally got the approval too see a colorectal surgeon and he told me that i actually had a fissure and didnt have hemorrhoids at all. so i just got the surgery 2 days ago and i feel tons better. it felt a million times better instantly when i woke up from surgery(general anesthesia).

my question is, how long before i will be able to sit down without much pain? i am a drummer and have a concert on the 8th day post op. im on day 2 right now and feel like im healing good. not much blood today. i took work off so i can just sit at home and heal. im also a week into a juice/soup broth diet so i dont fill my stomach with stuff to digest and hopefully dont have man bowel movements. im on day two post op and havent had one yet and i hope not to have one for a few days. i went the day of surgery with my enema and it was a LOT. i had already been 7 days into the juice fast and had my last BM before this one about 3 days before.

so i guess in all, my two questions are how soon will it not not be that painful to have a movement, and how long till i can sit on my drum throne and play drums with minimal pain?
drummerinpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Just had F.I.S. surgery, how long till i can play drums?

Postby hurtinend » 21 May 2015, 19:57

I recommend a donut pillow, available at medical supply stores

I wish you the best
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 May 2015, 14:22

Hi Drummer,
it's hard to say how long it will take - people respond so differently to this surgery. The donut pillow advice is good, or any pillow would be better than sitting on a hard chair (I don't know what a drum throne is like). Take ibuprofen. I would be more worried about the physical effort of playing that about sitting down, but that's me. I didn't have the op, but when my fissure was bad, sitting was OK and standing was bad. Physical effort, like bending was bad.
However, you won't know until you try. Do you have a sub lined up, in case?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby chachacha » 22 May 2015, 16:33

I hate to be a naysayer, but I've read a lot about donut cushions and while they may not affect the healing from your surgery, they are known to cause hemorrhoids. I'm also very familiar with drum thrones (both of my sons are drummers) and I also had a donut cushion. They are very hard to balance on, even on a regular chair and I would say that there would be no way that you could drum while sitting on one. After my LIS, I spent the first couple of weeks unable to sit at all, but by the third week could sit on a regular chair with a couch cushion on top. What you really need is something thick (like a couch cushion), that would also stay fairly secure on your throne. Even if you could find some very thick styrofoam and tape it on, that would probably help with your upcoming gig.

Good luck, and because you don't have the other side issues that I did, you may very well be fine and able to sit, much sooner than I was.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby drummerinpain » 22 May 2015, 16:52

Thanks for the input. I am day 4 post op and I actually feel great. Still can't sit directly down yet but I've had two bathroom visits, the brown kinds, and they both didn't hurt AT ALL. I was so relieved, I haven't had that kind of pooping pleasure in over 2 and a half months. Every time the worst pain of my life. I feel like I'll be able to sit down on my throne by then, and just have to take a sitz bath after.

If anyone is pondering the surgery, just get it. It helped me SOOOO much. Just keep your eating habits good after and you should be fine. Oh yea, and thank you to miralax for keeping me silky smooth.
drummerinpain
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 May 2015, 23:49

Wow, drummer, what great news! I hope your recovery continues as quick and problem free.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby chachacha » 29 May 2015, 09:20

How are you doing now, drummer? I hope that the concert went well.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby drummerinpain » 29 May 2015, 10:00

Hey there. I'm doing great! The surgery worked like a charm and a week after surgery and I can do anything. Driving, siting, everything short of hard exercise(drums are but im talking about jogging and lifting weights.
This surgery was a god send.
drummerinpain
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 29 May 2015, 11:03

What great news! Very happy for you and I hope that absolutely everything is possible soon. I am also so terribly glad that I had surgery and my life is completely wonderful now.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby drummerinpain » 29 May 2015, 11:54

Right?! Normal life again!!!
drummerinpain
Fibre Addict