Lis surgery this Tuesday 2/8/2016

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lis surgery this Tuesday 2/8/2016

Postby xxstaciexx » 28 Jul 2016, 09:07

Hi everyone!
Well today is Thursday and it's getting close to my lis surgery!
Now I'm starting to have no sleep and also nightmares when I do!
Absolutely petrified is the word.
Can anyone please give me some positive advice and help!
How bad is the pain afterwards?
How many times should I take a bath Aswell per day?
Also I suffer with IBS so I got to the toilet at least 3 times a day! Is this gonna make things worse?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated thanks peeps! Xxxxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Lis surgery this Tuesday 2/8/2016

Postby Luka » 29 Jul 2016, 10:21

Hi there xxstaciexx,

I have not had LIS yet, but am going to be scheduled for next month (either the 12th or 24th of August... still deciding on the date). I am also scared out of my mind. : ( I suffer from panic attacks and have an anxiety disorder and depression, so this is probably going to be the hardest thing I do in my life so far. But I know it's something I have to do, because I am just not healing and this pain is destroying my life. I've had my fissure/s for 3+ years and I know it's time for surgery in my case. I have no other options left.

How long have you had your fissure and been suffering? These things are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

I hope some people can chime in with their surgery experiences and give you some advice. Did you get any medication to take to calm you down and help you sleep the nights before? I will probably be asking my doctor for some Valium or something similar because I will need it.

I will be thinking of you as Tuesday gets closer and praying that your surgery goes well. Please hang in there as best you can and keep us all updated! I wish you well.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby xxstaciexx » 29 Jul 2016, 11:04

Thankyou so much for replying!
I too am the same. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I take regular medication for those.
I am scared out of my mind. I have had my gallbladder removed. 3 natural labours and 1 Csection and I wasn't half as scared as what I am for this.
I have some anxiety meds I can take but I don't think they are doing much atm be so glad when all this is over.
Been since about January time I have been suffering Hun nowhere near as long as yourself and others. I honestly can't imagine how you have dealt with the pain for so long Hun xxxxxxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Postby Luka » 29 Jul 2016, 12:50

What medication do you take for your anxiety and depression, if I may ask? I take Prozac, which definitely helps and takes the edge off things, but doesn't completely get rid of anxiety, sadly. I was taking Ativan years ago for anxiety, but it made me dopey all the time and caused me to faint, so I had to stop taking it.

Sounds like you've had plenty of experience with surgery/hospitals. I've only had hernia surgery and wisdom teeth removal.

It's been a long journey for me. I was able to control my fissure pain and spasms for about two years (with flare-ups on and off) since I was using Diltiazem ointment, but now that I get a rash and major itching from Diltiazem since I developed an allergy to it, I can't use it anymore. : ( The fissure never really healed with the ointment anyway and I just have a chronically tight spincter muscle, so I just don't have a choice but to get the surgery done, as scared as I am. : ( It's a horrible rollercoaster ride that I just want off of NOW. I want my life back!

My problem is just waiting for the surgery, like you, which I think from what I've read on these forums is the hardest part. I wish I could offer more help on this and hopefully others can.

I hope others can chime in to give some advice. I could certainly use it, too. I've found it helps to read the previous success stories and diaries on this forum of others who've had the surgery. It really prepares you for it so you're not totally in the dark about what happens before the surgery and afterward with recovery. I hope you find them helpful, too. Hang in there! : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby thedude » 29 Jul 2016, 15:54

You'll be fine! :)

I promise the pain after isn't near as bad as the fissure pain itself.

Follow the doctors advice, take lots of baths and think positive thoughts about how this is going to help heal you and make you better. I took about 3 baths per day.

Bet of luck to you and I look forward to your after surgery posts telling us how much better you feel.
thedude
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby chachacha » 29 Jul 2016, 16:31

The instruction pamphlet I was given after my LIS advised me to take 3 baths per day, plus after each bowel movement, for two weeks following the surgery.

I agree that the pain after the surgery wasn't nearly as bad as the fissure pain.

All the best and keep us posted afterward.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby xxstaciexx » 29 Jul 2016, 16:59

Hi Luka.
I take citalapram daily for my depression. I have been taking it for almost 7 years. Last year I stopped taking them which I shouldn't of done, but I thought ah I don't need them anymore.
Very silly desicion. After my son was born last November I was okay. Then early this year started feeling myself going back into that dark place and I was given a different medication. Mirtazapine. Absolutely fantastic medication that was. I only took it for 8 or so weeks and it really bought my mind back to how it should be. I came off it though as it causes binge eating. My god I could eat. I couldn't stop!!! So back to the citalapram now and doing well so far, other than my children having health issues and back and forth to the hospitals.

Hi Chachacha and the dude.
Thankyou for your advice! I'm glad to hear that the pain isn't as bad as the fissure pain! Those spasms and burning feelings are soooo not nice! I've said to my husband, imagine shitting acid! One way to describe it I suppose xxxxxxxxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Postby Shoelady23 » 30 Jul 2016, 21:27

I had my LIS surgery 5-6-16 & I must say
recovery was a breeze no pain meds no nothing but sitz baths a lot of them.
Your first bowel movement is going to be a doozy it's rough I'm not going to lie.I have had 3 relapses since which in fact was all my fault I didn't eat the right things which caused constipation Miralax is your best friend always remember that..
The anus is soft tissue which takes a mighty long time to heal my CRS said it's all a healing process he is absolutely amazing top notch great bed side manner great doctor an his staff always goes above & beyond for each patient.I hope your surgery goes well which I know it will if you have any questions please feel free to ask I don't mind at all..
Shoelady23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 30 Jul 2016, 21:35

My first bowel movement didn't hurt at all - it just slid right out, easily and without pain, which surprised me completely. I had pain over the first couple of days, but it was related to the surgical incision, and was nowhere near as painful as my fissure had been. I had less and less pain after the first couple of days and it was fully gone by the end of week two.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Shoelady23 » 30 Jul 2016, 21:37

I'm glad you're doing well keep up the good work an keep doing what your doing obviously it's working :)
Shoelady23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1