LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Nov 2016, 13:26

Congrats there on your recovery. After reading more about post op I am finding out it can take quite awhile before returning to normal. I am 2 weeks post op and still have discomfort after a BM. Guess I need to be a little more patient. I never have been a patient person but I guess this is a lesson in that.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Nov 2016, 13:42

Hi jim,
Yes unfortunately LIS is very rarely a quick answer but will hopefully be the fix for us both in the long run. I'm going to give myself at least 4 months before I decide whether LIS has been a success for me. I know that for at least the next month I am going to be in some level of pain and am going to have to be extremely careful with what I eat. But I have been in agony for 18 months so what's another few.
I too was a very inpatient person if I took a tablet I would expect it to work straight away. If nothing else this fissure has taught me the importance of patience in life.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Nov 2016, 13:50

Thats a really good approach to take. Setting realistic goals. I have read where others have taken many months to feel even close to normal. I guess what is a downer is when you are told you will be ok after a week. Well that simply is just not true in my case. I think doctors tell patients things they want to hear and when it dosent happen we get discouraged.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Nov 2016, 14:00

Wow that's a bit irresponsible of your doctor mine was very honest it was him that said I will probably be in pain for a month give or take although obviously it should start to decrease. No wonder your a bit frustrated if your dr said that.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Nov 2016, 14:36

Well actually the post op from the doctor said symptoms would improve in 3 to 7 days. Nowhere did it say they would be gone. Guess that was wishful thinking on my part lol. Basically it said the procedure they do has a95% success rate . One thing I can be positive about is I have not had any soiling at all and no sign of any infection no fever . Hey thats positive. Think I will plan on giving myself 6 months. Maybe thats more realistic.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Nov 2016, 14:45

Ah well we always expect a lot from ourselves. My biggest fear is infection and I will be glad once I'm past the 2 week point and it hasn't happened...fingers crossed.
Yes think 6 months is much more realistic and not that long in the grand scheme of things
Mypoorbutt

Postby Jimbfree47 » 11 Nov 2016, 14:51

Yes today is. 2 weeks so looks like no sign of any infection. Will aee Dr on Monday and will update then. Have a great weekend
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Nov 2016, 14:55

You too hope for steady improvement
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Nov 2016, 05:46

Hi guys,
Well yesterday went ok...pain pretty constant at a 4 but with less painkillers, it did go up to a 5 when I tried to apply the cream....oh my life it's so swollen down there way more than the Botox I'm actually concerned about how a BM will pass through all that swelling.
Did the baths but they didn't really provide the relief from the pain like before I'm guessing it's because it's not a spasm pain at the moment it's all from the surgery...my hems are nor happy at all.
I had some soup and toast and my bowel behaved so no BM yet but think today will probably be the day. Will eat a little more today and see what happens.
I'm going to go for a little walk in a bit just to get some movement as my hips are starting to ache.
Slept really well
Just very worried about the amount of blooming swelling
Well of to get in the shower before I attempt my ten min walk....such an exciting life I lead.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Jimbfree47 » 12 Nov 2016, 07:45

My poor butt: sounds about right. Tge first 2to3 days I felt the pain on about same level. Careful on the pain meds as they can promote constipation. I know its rough byt try to avoid them if you can. Yes I found moving around helped gets the blood flo going. I know the anxiety level about that first BM and I wont lie it was painful. I am finding out to nit to go unless it literally is wanting to come out. I made that mistake a couple times and I paid for it for hours.
Today is day 15 and just had a BM. Much better as it was soft. Pain level maybe a 3 compared to the 7 yesterday after BM. Went straight to the bath this morning.Hope this helps you
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist