LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Dec 2016, 05:47

Well had a BM last night Bristol 3 felt Okk don't know if it left a lot of residue but the pain went up to a 7....but the gabapentin took it down to a 3 in just over an hour so that wasn't too bad.
Just the gym today. As working at 12.
Well I'm pretty certain the LIS has not worked as I'm 4 weeks on Tuesday and pain level without tablets is at least a 7
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 11:35

Good for you for getting out there mpb, but sorry to hear things are still rough.

Is it possible for you to see your CRS, or even another to get another opinion? Maybe there is something else that can help you. I know it doesn't seem likely, but I did tons of research (as most of us do) on the pain and spasms and stumbled across a lot. Some people even get proctitis from bacterial infections, that can be remedied with antibiotics (I'm not just pulling this out of the whazoo, I am doing my masters in biomedical science).

Or maybe another CRS will have some ideas on how to speed the healing process or can give you an idea of if there is physical improvement (even though you may not feel like it yet).
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 11:37

Just realized I sound pretty hoity-toity there lol - Apologies. Thinking of you mpb!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Dec 2016, 12:00

No you don't GG I welcome any help....I saw 3 CRS before I paid private for the one I'm with now... none of them wanted to give me LIS due to my existing conditions and warned of lengthy painful recovery. I have been on antibiotics for this just to give it a go but it made it worse as they aggravated my IBS.
Basically my CRS let me try LIS as I begged him too. I see him on the 12th and will be asking his thoughts on maybe another round of Botox as that did stop the pain after week 2 or whether to just threaten to starve myself till I get a colostomy
At the moment the tablets seem to be helping just had a BM and my pain is only a 4/5 which I can deal with, but I am being super careful with what I eat....bread, bacon, sausage...really not healthy.
Will have to see how I go next week x
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 12:32

Ok mpb! Well fingers crossed for the appointment - i know how hard it is to keep a positive attitude - you've helped me with that several times.

In fact - I saw a psychologist a couple years back for about 8-10 months to help me with anxiety I was having then. At that time it helped me a lot with my ibs. I've been in touch with her a couple of times over phone the past few weeks and she has helped me a lot to get my mind in a better place, and I seriously think that it has helped me get better. Maybe it would help you too - she gave me some great strategies to stop myself from spiralling in negativity
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 04 Dec 2016, 12:59

Hi MPB. I noticed you are to see the CRS on the 12th. Since Botox gave u some relief that sounds like a good idea - wonder what the wait would be to see if LIS area fully heals prior to that. Looking for infection as GG suggested is an idea. What's going on with your overall nutrition with your inability to eat much? Are you losing more weight over the past week?
Or has it leveled off?
I do not know much about temporary colostomy but I guess that's the questions you are planning to ask about?
Hang in there friend .
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Dec 2016, 13:31

Hi GG,
I'm quite happy and positive when I'm not in pain. I have done tests for depression and anxiety and never score more than 4. I never stay in the house even when I haven't eaten in days. And always enjoy my normal activities when my pain is lower than a 7. I like my life and enjoy my days when I'm not in pain. My son has Aspergers and that does impact and I do use meditation but nothing can stop my IBS as something as simple as my bacon fried in olive oil can set it off.
I truly wish it was as easy as seeing a psychologist as I actually enjoy talking to them....went for a while when I was a teenager as I had anorexia and again in my early 20s as I self harmed but never once did it help my IBS. I think my enteric brain is just super switched on and that my eating in the past hadn't helped.
I have had a "funny tummy" since I was a toddler and I think my journey has now reached crunch point as I refuse to be on this much pain. I have handled IBS since 11 and crohns since 20 but I will not handle this amount of agony from the fissure.
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 13:48

Well I'm so glad to hear that you're able to stay positive - I honestly don't know how I would handle being in your shoes, you're a stronger person than I. And agreed, it's just not fair to have to suffer through this on top of everything - i hope your CRS is able to spend lots of time with you to discuss every option because you deserve the best.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Dec 2016, 14:02

Hi HTD,
I'm really hoping they don't make me wait longer than 8 weeks as I will end up being quite ill. Had a bacon sandwich today and i have been 3 times already and I can feel my colon ready to throw a tantrum so that's me going to the toilet endlessly tonight. So no food for me for a few days now. I lost 6lb last week so unfortunately it's not slowing down.
I did try the antibiotics but will ask again about infection.
I know I will have to fight to get a colostomy but I don't care if I have to starve myself as I refuse to stay in this amount of pain. I kind of think that once I had a colostomy for me it wouldn't be temporary as I would love to be able to sit with my family for a meal or go for drinks with friends, and even if my fissure healed I could never do that with my IBS just got to convince them
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Dec 2016, 14:06

Hi GG I'm not strong I sob in agony and roll on the floor screaming. But I am grateful everyday that I am here for my children. I took my son swimming Friday and go out with my daughter at least 3 times a week. I am blessed and I am happy. But I am also downright annoyed that after 18 months I'm still like this...I just pray I don't have to fight too hard for the colostomy and they give me Botox while I'm waiting
Mypoorbutt