Horse riding - either before or after surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Horse riding - either before or after surgery

Postby Horserider » 11 Jan 2012, 05:38

Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd turn to you all in the hope that one or more of you can help answer some questions that I'm not brave enough to ask anyone else...
I am a horse owner and rider and compete in Endurance Riding (long distance riding) events here in the UK. I do not believe that this affects my fissure in any way (and can't find anything on the Web suggesting there is a link) but there are days when the pain of my fissure is so bad that I simply can't bear the thought of getting on a horse, so it is affecting my training and competitions, as well as my daily life of course.
I have a chronic fissure which never completely goes away but seems to peak at an approximately 3 month cycle. I am currently using Rectogesic pretty much all the time (but am sick and tired of the constant headache this leaves me with). Anyway, my questions are:
1. Does anyone else out there ride horses? If so, how does it affect you? Have you been given any "professional" advice related to fissures/horse riding?
2. I am considering having the sphinterectomy surgery (I am in the UK and I believe that is what is it called here) - have any of you any experience of having surgery and then horse riding afterwards? If you did - how long afterwards were you able to get back in the saddle?
Basically, any horse-riding experience/advice you can give me would be very, very much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Horserider

Topics: 1

Re: Horse riding - either before or after surgery

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2012, 06:00

Hi there,
I'm not a horse rider but I recall reading about someone who was. Here's a link to a post you may find helpful.
http://anal-fissure.org/t285-i-bolted#2949
Monkeybutt wrote-
I had the surgery on 5/2 after being a semi invalid for almost 5 weeks from the pain. I rode a horse 5 hours on Memorial Day and then came home and rode a mule for an hour. I rode again this evening , about one hour. I am not recommending that you go out and ride or run or lift etc... but the surgery will in all liklihood help you like it has me and many , many others on and off this forum.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 12 Jan 2012, 11:37

Horserider, I don't have horses (right now, hope too someday soon as we're moving to the country!), but had ponies as a child and did a lot of riding. Compared to riding a bike, I don't think horseback riding is quite as hard on the rear, but that being said, you are NOT going to want to ride a horse for quite awhile after the surgery (sorry :(). Especially thinking of trotting just gives me the shudders!
I had my surgery on March 23 last year and while I could ride a bike by the summer, I wasn't really all that comfortable doing so. It's only now that I feel fully ok with getting on a bike.
But as with anything, YMMV, and you'll know when the time comes if it hurts too much to be worth it. Good luck!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Judy Eason » 24 Sep 2013, 10:36

Hi I'm new here also and was wondering if horseback riding is making my fissures worse? I just retired from teaching school for 36 years and wanted to learn how to ride horses. I started a year ago and just love it.I have been having trouble with fissures for a little over a year and have tried many meds. Riding doesn't seem to bother me but I just don't know if it is affecting the healing process. This is such a PAIN!!!!
Judy Eason

Postby MercyAF » 28 Feb 2017, 07:08

I know it's been years, but any updates on this? I had the surgery almost 7 weeks ago and developed a perianal abscess that I am now scheduled to have surgery on tomorrow. Will I get to ride my horse anytime soon. I miss it so much!!
MercyAF

Postby patience_and_healing » 14 Apr 2017, 21:37

Hey Mercy AF, how are you doing after the surgery to remove the abscess? Wishing you quick healing!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40