LIS Operation on Thursday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Operation on Thursday

Postby Becka456 » 29 Apr 2017, 16:41

Hi banjobuddy, I had LIS on Thursday too! How is recovery going for you? I have been in quite a bit of pain but got some morphine of my doctor yesterday which is taking the edge of it, had my first bm today which I was petrified off but was actually really easy and hardly any pain!
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby banjobuddy » 30 Apr 2017, 09:49

Hi all,

Well I've had my LIS done, but I'm not sure what to think. Firstly, I haven't been to the loo since it was done 4 days ago. I haven't eaten that much food either. Anyhow, it's been a difficult few days anyway. Let me just fill you in.

1. It was done Thursday morning and after a few hours I was sent home. Then I found my trousers and undies where full of blood and I ended up standing naked from the waist down dripping blood on the kitchen floor. A little disconcerting as you can imagine! Anyhow, my wife called an ambulance and they took me straight back to hospital and I was readmitted to a ward.

2. The following morning I woke up with a pad, sheets and pyjamas full of blood. Called the male nurse who came in and asked me to get out of bed and stand by the bed. I then felt dizzy and blacked out, fell on the floor and found about 7 or 8 medical staff running around me. Fortunately, I didn't damage anything when I fell. Anyhow, the blood loss eventually seemed to slow enough for me to come home again, despite lower blood pressure (initially 80, but did go up to around 100), which made me pass out in the first place.

3. Anyhow, this is now day 4 and the wound is still oozing blood, but not dripping like it was. I'm still wearing a pad and I'm wondering if it's going to stop or if I'll need a stitch in it. It just seemed a bit odd that the wound was left open rather than stitched.

4. On the plus side I'm sitting here at my computer feeling very little pain. That might be because I haven't had a bowel motion yet. It's just freaking me out that it's still oozing blood, albeit in a more controlled way than earlier.

My wife has been wonderful and has really stepped up to the plate and cleaned up the area several times and even taken a photo of it! When I wipe myself the bleeding doesn't really stop and there have been a few mini clots, but the pain is minimal at the moment. So I really don't know what to make of it and whether I should be panicking or not. I raised the issue of stitching it with the doctors at the hospital. They did schedule me for a second general anaesthetic for an exploratory exam, but the slot was taken by emergency patients and they then deemed it unnecessary.

I really don't know if I should be rushing back to A & E or letting time try to repair it? Any thoughts? Naturally, it's a Bank Holiday tomorrow, so couldn't even see a GP. The thought of more time in hospital is depressing the hell out of me, but hopefully, that won't be necessary.

Incidentally, in the photo, I can see bruising, dried blood which is hard to clean up and I'm struggling to see the actual anus. I don't normally go round taking pictures of my rear end, but I thought it might help to figure out what was going on.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Becka456 » 30 Apr 2017, 13:06

Hi, I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time, I can't help in Regards with the wound as they have stitched mine up, I would say that if your still loosing lots of blood then maybe give the Nhs line a call and see what they think? It's good that your not in to much pain but I would keep an eye on your blood loss. I would definitely give your consultant a call on Tuesday such a a pain it's the bank holiday! I had a bowel movement yesterday and today and wasn't as bad as I expected, are you taking any laxatives? I've been taking them every night just to keep everything soft
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby banjobuddy » 30 Apr 2017, 18:20

Hi Becka,

It certainly sounds like mine really should have been stitched up. It certainly doesn't seem like it's going to heal up without intervention, so either tomorrow or Tuesday I'll be trying to get something done. I am taking laxatives, but only started yesterday when I got back from the hospital. I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with my care apart from some of the lovely nurses who looked after me at the hospital. If anyone is reading this and has an LIS coming up, don't let my situation put you off, normally these go really well.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby banjobuddy » 01 May 2017, 11:46

Day 5:

A bit of progress. I'm no longer constipated and went twice today. The first one was nice and soft. The second one a little less so, but not too bad. I'll be keeping an eye on the blood situation, though. It's not flooding out of me like it was, but I get the odd bubbling of where it oozes a bit. The wound or incision site is also a little tender probably due to the extra 'action' from today. Feeling a little bit more positive on the whole, though.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Becka456 » 01 May 2017, 11:56

So glad you have managed to go to the toilet must make you feel a little better it did with me! I still have bit of bleeding and oozing and I'm on day 4 so I think that's pretty normal. I still have quite a bit of pain on my stitches and can't seem to get comfortable I'm hoping that starts to improve by next week! Glad your feeling more positive and fingers crossed things will carry on improving for you
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby banjobuddy » 01 May 2017, 18:22

I think it's just a slow process for us and the pain is unavoidable in these early stages. Let's just hope it's a gradual improvement. I think we need to congratulate ourselves for having the courage to go through with it. I'm sure it's going to be a situation of ups and downs, but at least the major part of it is finished with. I know my incision site is pretty sore and I guess it will be for a while.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Becka456 » 01 May 2017, 18:25

Yes we are both still in the very early stages and so far I would say we are doing well and like you say the hardest bit is done with now, I don't know about you but took a lot of courage for me to go through with it as I had been puting it off for a long time!
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby AJStyles » 02 May 2017, 04:00

Hey guys, wishing you best of luck, i am 3 weeks post op and feeling much better than i did in week 1 and week 2. Don't worry about the pain for now, keep your stools soft and take your sitz baths, that is all you can do for the healing in my opinion. I think healing takes 6 weeks or something right?
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Becka456 » 02 May 2017, 04:05

Hi, thank you, did you have a lot of pain in your stitches in the first week? I'm on day 5 and sometimes the pain feels worse in the stitches, especially stinging and sometimes like the feeling I've caught them on something? I think I'm just getting really paranoid
Becka456
Proctosphincteranalogist