LIS yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS yesterday

Postby Laurieb » 01 Jul 2017, 11:34

It's done! And I can say, what a day! My situation is a bit uncommun because after months of suffering, I talked to my uncle who is a CRS and who reffered me to his colleague, who dx me a fissure and prescribed me diltiazem which didn't worked - too much irritation.

Last week I told my CR doctor I was ready for a LIS. She wanted me to first have a short colonoscopy, and the day after I met the CRS for a preop appnt, and yesterday I had the procedure.

Basically, the LIS itself took about 15 minutes, under epidural anesthesia + intravenous sedation. Pain free, I felt good during the afternoon. Around 5 p.m. I wasn't still released from the hospital because as in every epidural case, you need to have your first pee, which I wasn't able to have (my bladder was too full). Had to have a urinary catheter to empty my bladder.

At the same moment my Anesthesia started to really wore of in the butt area. As of this moment, won't going to lie, it was really, but really painful. Couldn't stop crying. I received 3 mg of dilaudid put it couldn't touch the pain. I was so anxious at the same time. I was lucky to have my parents and husband with me all day for the support. Nurses decided to keep me for the night and gave me straight morphine by injection. Wow, that's what I needed! Pain subsided and I was able to sleep fairly well last night.

This morning the pain slightly reappeared after my attempt to go pee. Failed again and catheter again. So I'm on a small dose of morphine, still at the hospital. They served my "solid diet" lunch, but I'm not hungry at all. Plus I started to have gas in my abdomen, which won't pass (and I'm scared to push to!). My goal today is only to be released from the hospital!

Any tips and tricks for my recovery? Thanks all!
Last edited by Laurieb on 01 Jul 2017, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: LIS yesterday

Postby chachacha » 01 Jul 2017, 13:19

Do you think that the pain was/is due to a bladder issue, or from the surgery? Has your doctor spoken to you about the possible cause yet?

Since things are improving though, hopefully you'll be completely better soon and able to go home.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Laurieb » 01 Jul 2017, 14:07

chachacha wrote:Do you think that the pain was/is due to a bladder issue, or from the surgery? Has your doctor spoken to you about the possible cause yet?

Since things are improving though, hopefully you'll be completely better soon and able to go home.

Pain is caused by the wound from the surgery. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll feel better and will be able to go home.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 02 Jul 2017, 18:53

Laurieb how are you feeling today?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Laurieb » 03 Jul 2017, 08:16

Hi Missy,

So I'm home since Saturday night and yesterday was almost pain free, but no energy at all. Took 2 naps.

This morning I had my first BM. Yes, painful (but not much compared to pre-LIS). I went immediately in the tub and the throbbing disapeared in few seconds. When I got out, I still had no usual spasms and I told my husband that I think my surgery worked.

I'm currently in bed because it still sensitive and yesterday I might have took too much of fiber supplement and mineral oil, and I don't want to go a second time today!
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 03 Jul 2017, 16:15

Ok that's great things sound to be good! Keep up dating on here an let us know how your going. Did you remove the fissure scan? Or a skin tag?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Laurieb » 04 Jul 2017, 08:13

My skin tag is still there, the CRS told me he wouldn't touch it since it's small, doesn't bother me and he said it will probably disappear with time.

I don't think I had a fissurectomy, if it's your question. Only LIS. I still feel the fissure pain after my BM, but it doesn't last long.

I took 1 ampracet + 2 advil this morning, it was more painful than yesterday, but it's still mostly at the incision site. It's also difficult for me to walk from the toilet to the bath, to my bed, because of the cut. I know the pain will subside in few hours however. Also, I feel like I don't have the energy to face the pain. I'm always in my bed. My left hip is aching from being always on this side (right side is uncomfortable). I'll try to walk a little at the end of the day. We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Laurieb on 05 Jul 2017, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Jul 2017, 10:30

It sounds like things are going well for you. I hope everything heals up quickly. Get lots of rest and you'll be back to normal in a few weeks time. By the way, did you have open or closed LIS? Open LIS would leave you with stitches at the incision site.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Laurieb » 04 Jul 2017, 11:22

Thanks Patience and healing :)

That's a good question, I'll ask my CRS this Thursday at my postop appnt. The only thing I know about my surgery is that he told my uncle (his colleague) that my case was more important than what he initially observed.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 04 Jul 2017, 15:52

P an h I thought closed lis left you with stitches like the site was closed with stitches? No?
missy moo
King Fissure