LIS in a week

Late forties male, AF of 1 year

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS in a week

Postby Mr Fissure » 10 Jul 2017, 17:04

Just a quick update, having seen my CRS at the weekend.

The 2nd lot of antibiotics have failed (so far) to clear my Pilonidal sinus. As it happens I had to stop the course short, as the burning I got from it was constant and unbearable. Its also close enough to my anus to have spread to my ring, so yet again, I can't bear to sit down for more than about 15 mins at a time.

I've been told my Fissure and incision site since the LIS (12 weeks ago) is now healed, yet it still stings if I pass wind, when I wipe my backside and when I walk...Exercise, sex or anything else fun in life just isn't an option. The internal examination's left me even sorer than before, still having to ice 3 days later. Surely my Fissure if healed shouldn't be giving me so much jip ?

My CRS thinks it's all down to my Pilonidal Sinus, but I'm not so sure. He feels the only option now is another operation to try to fix my PS, but the results on the various methods to tackle this problem are nowhere near as successful as the LIS is for AF's. And what if he's wrong, and the majority of pain is still coming from the fissure?

I've decided to take stock of things for a week or two before making my next move, but 15 months from the start of all this, 3 months post LIS, and no end in sight yet... :(
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Bum_UK » 11 Jul 2017, 14:09

Would it be worth getting a second opinion? I'll PM you shortly.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby patience_and_healing » 06 Oct 2017, 11:23

How are things with you now, Mr F? I hope your pilonidal sinus isn't hurting you anymore.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Mr Fissure » 08 Oct 2017, 04:14

Hello P&H, thanks for dropping by!

I took a couple of months 'out' as it were, to see if 'Father Time' would help my healing.

Unfortunately I'm still struggling with something (be it Pilonidal Sinus or my AF) which means I still have to carefully manage my days to minimise my pain. I stand at my PC rather than sit for work, I have to be very careful when bending over, as if I do it 'wrong' I can still get a very sharp pain, and if I want/need to sit down, I have to limit my time and avoid soft/settee type chairs at all costs! :affraid: I walk, but only small distances and still can't exercise or do most 'normal' things (I've put on 1.5 stone in weight as a result). Saying that, there has been some improvements. I rarely get much of a burn now after BM's (used to plague me every day for hours), no spasms and I can now manage 2 walks a day round the village with my dog (though again, I need to take care not to walk too fast or over-stride lol!).

However, as someone in their late-40's, whose lifestyle had always been very active prior to all of this, this isn't really an acceptable way to live, I'm merely existing rather than living, so I've now set the wheels in motion for a referral / second opinion from another CRS. He also happens to be a pioneer in Fibrin Glue surgery, which is a new, less invasive surgery for Pilonidal Sinus (if that is indeed what I have), so hopefully he'll be able to get to the bottom of things! (pardon the pun! :D ). No date yet, but will keep you posted.

So how are you doing now? I think I read that your botox treatment didn't work? If that's correct, I'm very sorry to hear that. What are you thinking of doing next, if that's the case?
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 08 Oct 2017, 05:22

How are things going with u both now after your lis I will be having this soon need some advice
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Oct 2017, 13:38

Oh no mr F sorry to hear your still suffering,
Hopefully the new CRS will be able to sort the issue out for you. Your right at your age you should be able to do a lot more than just walk your dog.
It must be so hard to still be dealing with this but like you say on the bright side there's no more spasms and not much burning.
Please keep us updated and let us know what the new CRS has to say.
Fingers crossed for you Mr F you really do deserve some luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Oct 2017, 11:13

I'm sorry to hear you're still not healed Mr F. Like MPB said I hope the new CRS has some answers for you. I too am very frustrated at not being able to resume an exercise routine. I recently had to have perianal skin excision and that's slowed me down a lot too, but luckily almost healed from that 2 months later.

I'm not sure what my next step is, LIS is frankly terrifying, so I'll be contacting the doctor about getting another round of Botox, nearly 5 months after the previous one.
patience_and_healing

Postby Mypoorbutt » 09 Oct 2017, 14:40

Hi P and H
Can I ask why LIS is so terrifying for you....just curious as I was literally begging doctors for the LIS and it took me a few goes to find one who would. Now nearly a year later I'm pretty much back to life pre fissure. (Aparts from when my crohns flares) I was back at the gym about 3 weeks after LIS all be it carefully then back to "normal" exercise after about ten weeks.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Katie » 09 Oct 2017, 15:09

Good to hear mpb I begged my surgeon for the lis meeting with her again in dec as just had another bottox x
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Oct 2017, 15:12

I'm terrified of it because of the risk of anal leakage, which is not true incontinence but is a possibility. Any kind of leakage would make my skin condition worse because of increase in bacteria. Plus I already have had surgery in the perianal region and I worry that any further surgery will lead to more pain and scar tissue. I also don't know if the existing scar tissue will make it difficult for the doctor to perform an LIS, but that's something I'll be asking her at my follow up appointment in November. The last reason is that my pain is not unbearable like many on this forum, it's manageable, and surgery feels like overkill.

So those are my reasons, sorry for such a long winded response. Do you have any suggestions for me?
patience_and_healing