Surgeon said he cannot see a fissure anymore?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgeon said he cannot see a fissure anymore?

Postby Chambers21 » 14 Feb 2018, 07:36

Ok, Ill try to make this as short as possible. Im a 24 y/o male in the UK and havethrough with the surgery. All of this i agreed to straight away.

I wake up from the operation and he tells me he hasnt done anything because the fissure is fully healed!? I mean, there is no way this fissure is fully healed! Im still in pain almost all day, every day. Even when using the cream and stool softners, they just make life bearable for me. I have and appointment with on on Wednesday when he said he is going to explain properly to me why he didnt do the surgery.

I have read a few posts on here about micro fissures and hidden fissures that surgeons cant see. I am almost certain one of those applies to my problem. Now i have to gp back to work in constant pain again and probably have to wait months for the surgery again, if he will even let me have it
Im just not sure how much longer i can take this going round on circles. Im 99% sure my problem os csused by a tight sphincter and that the LIS surgery would at least help me.

Sorry for the long post, but any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I find if I use toilet roll after going to the toilet i am then in severe pain for the next day or two
Chambers21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Surgeon said he cannot see a fissure anymore?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Feb 2018, 09:04

It’s very unusual for a surgeon not to be able to see a fissure once your under anaesthetic as you will be completely relaxed and the can have a good look...move any hems and skin tags that may be obstructing their view. Saying that though there is always the chance he has missed it.
My fissure was completely healed yet I still got spasms as the scar tissue in that area was very sensitive and if I had more than one BM I would have spasms. Try not to use toilet roll unless you have no other choice, put barrier cream on before a BM, keep using your creams and having sitz baths.
Hopefully when you see him next he will explain more fully.
Have you tried gabapentin as that’s a really useful painkiller for spasms, also you could also try dilation which is what I’m trying with my new fissure
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Chambers21 » 14 Feb 2018, 11:41

Thanks for the speedy reply. The problem with the cream is, that every now and then, I will develop some sort of rash or painful lump. This causes me to have to stop using it for up to a week before it clears up.

What would you suggest using as a barrier cream? Vaseline, coconut oil etc ? And do i apply this just before using the toilet? I haven't even heard of Gabapentin, maybe because im in the UK, but will look into it. I have previously found Aspirin and Ibruprofen to cause constipation and stomach cramps.

I am definitely considering looking into self dilation or asking if the NHS can offer anything in that department. As I said i'm 99% sure tightness is the the main problem. He said i had a few small hemorrhoids, but i dont think they are causing the pain apart from every now and then when they flair up. This is a minor discomfort when compared to the fissure pain. I will see what he says next week and update this thread incase it can help anyone on the future.
Chambers21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby Mypoorbutt » 14 Feb 2018, 12:34

Hi I’m in the U.K. and most gps will prescribe gabapentin, some like mine require you to sign a disclaimer that you won’t sell it...think it depends on your location. It shouldn’t effect the digestion at all as it is a nerve blocker not an opioid.
I use nappy cream as it’s pretty cheap and does the job doesn’t need to be a brand name like sudocrem any zinc and castor oil cream works well. But Vaseline or coconut oil will do the job too, yes I apply it just before a BM.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20