4 years of fissures

looking for a solution

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 4 years of fissures

Postby dmcff » 08 Apr 2018, 03:24

Thanks. I'm still persevering with the Qufora IrriSedo mini - it's equivalent to taking a water enema every couple of days. It does make BMs easier, and it empties the bowel*. The only drawback for me is that the area is so raw and inflamed, and the pressure of the cone tip seems to make it worse - I'm awoken every night around 2 am with the pain, and it doesn't really die down until morning. I'm due to have a telephone consultation with the physiotherapist this week, and I will have to ask her about this problem. I'm also mildly constipated, which is not so good.

But I need to think positive. After all, my general condition has improved a lot since 2015, and I'm able to be reasonably active and do most everyday tasks. It's just that the inflammation has not really gone, ever - it seems that once there's a problem 'down there' it's very difficult to find an effective cure. In a way one just has to put up with a level of discomfort that one wouldn't have accepted as tolerable before.

* Not everyone seems to think that this is a good thing. In an article in today's Telegraph, for example, I read;
Colonic irrigation, though, is not helpful. In the hands of a trained practitioner you are safe from bowel damage, but gut bacteria are important to bowel health, and washing out the colon depopulates the bacteria levels.

It's hard to know who to believe. :(
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT scan, EUA and sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI scans - 4 hospital stays, severe pain until August, then moderate to low pain
2016 Anal fissure - pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Return of moderate pain
2018 Now in biofeedback treatment
dmcff

Topics: 25

Re: 4 years of fissures

Postby dmcff » 15 May 2018, 04:07

I'm still persevering with the mini irrigation system. I've been using it daily, and sometimes find that it helps. More often, though, after using it I feel it has irritated the skin of my anus, so I'm not that keen on continuing with the treatment. I still have considerable amounts of pain at night, enough to wake me up several times, and as the pain gets worse towards morning, I tend to get up very early.

Next week I have another PT appointment at the pelvic floor clinic in London. I will show the physiotherapist the 'bowel progress' diary that comes with the mini irrigation system - I've filled in entries for each day of use, but on looking through the six weeks or so since I began I can't really see much sign of improvement. Too many of the entries are things like 'still in pain', or 'not sure if it worked'. On the other hand, I still feel in general a lot better than I did this time last year - my overall health is better, and I'm able to concentrate on work-related things.

So - we'll see.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT scan, EUA and sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI scans - 4 hospital stays, severe pain until August, then moderate to low pain
2016 Anal fissure - pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Return of moderate pain
2018 Now in biofeedback treatment
dmcff

Topics: 25