Botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox

Postby cherylk » 10 May 2008, 07:21

I did a search on "Botox" and found lots of posts. However, I didn't know if a "poll" was taken to compile stats on the effectiveness of Botox treatments for members of this board. My Mayo CRS doc indicated that the success rate is 60-70% for Botox, but she indicated since the Botox injection is painful. Patients at Mayos are sedated (not general anesthesia) similarly to a colonoscopy for Botox injections. I might not need Botox as I am supposed to continue on with my Diltiazen cream for several more weeks, and I am feeling better.
Twenty thousand females are walking in my area today to raise money and awareness for breast cancer research (Race for the Cure). Thanks in advance for any replies. Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Botox

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2008, 18:54

I was afraid to try Botox after I was handed a pamphlet describing all possible complications including DEATH - I just was not ready to sine the disclosure and they did not give any sedation whatsoever!
Also, I knew that my sphincter was just too tight and that after healing it would probably re tear again and I was right in that regard. I healed with creams and laxatives and as soon as I stopped using creams and reduced MOM and mineral oil my fissure opened again : (((. Than I knew that LIS is the only long term solution for me. I just wish my CRS was not that conservative with the cut because my sphincter regained most of it's strength Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 10 May 2008, 19:20

Thanks for the input. Just for the record I had Botox on my face several years ago. It hurt, and I decided I wouldn't do it again. I read a few months ago that there have been some problems with the Botox toxin (for the face) and only recently learned of the Botox option for the sphincter muscle. From what I have read there can be problems with incontinence after the surgery, so possibly the surgeons have a fine line with the sphincter. I really am just learning about all of the sphincter options (including creams).
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2008, 20:30

The problem with the Botox and butt is that there are many blood vessels in the anus and if doctor by accident hits the one toxin can travel in different parts of the body. With cosmetic Botox for the face nurses do it very superficially (as you know from experience)
There is not even a consensus yet of how to administer it (the place) or in what concentration. I just didn't feel like being a Guinea pig. LIS is performed for 50 years and with very well documented results and well established technique. All of 4 CRS s that I visited did not have a single incidence of incontinence in their 20 to 30 years of practice. I felt pretty confident doing it - really. I would do it again in a blink of an aye if needed.
All the best : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 10 May 2008, 21:07

When I had my fissure I would have probably tried botox if it was more accessible but it really wasn't an option among any of the CRSs that I had seen. I have heard about it being used for nerve pain which I have but I would only get that done by someone who had a lot of experience. I think it would be worth considering and there are a few boardies who have had it. Hopefully someone who can speak directly to this will be on before too long.

Were you pleased with the cosmetic botox results?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 May 2008, 04:46

Maybe we should start a botox poll here... Image
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 11 May 2008, 07:08

I think there are risks with any therapy, probably including Botox and the big surgery also. Some people cannot tolerate the ointment I am using. The Mayo CRS doc told me they use Botox before they would do the surgery as they evidently feel it is more conservative than surgery.
The Botox shots on my face hurt (I can't stand pain) and each time the plastic surgeon injected me he apologized for it! It cost me several hundred dollars for the treatment. I think it did help take away the wrinkles, but it was only temporary, and I decided right afterwards that I didn't think I would do it again and haven't. I decided to go for a more permanent fix 5 1/2 years ago. Hope this helps.
It is difficult for me to sit, and I usually sit on one hip although I think I am doing better with the fissure.
Thanks
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 11 May 2008, 08:15

Hello,
I will give you my opinion of Botox. I have had 2 shots of Botox with no problems and great success. Tomorrow I go for my third shot at 7:30am. I think Botox helped me alot and helped with the healing process. The reason I need a third shot is becuase my AF was small but very deep. I am not keen on LIS but everyone is different. My CRS has given Botox to alot of his patients and it has completely healed them. I just need to stay on the AF diet fo awhile until I am completely healed, but as you know we all have some setbacks. Even when I am healed I have to watch my diet and I will stay on it because I think this all started because of IBS. I have had the symptoms and I am off to another doctor Mat 19th to discuss this. Oh well.
Conclusion, I like Botox. Would I reccommend it? Yes! Just make sure your CRS has experience with it.
Patty

Postby cherylk » 11 May 2008, 08:48

Patty,
Thank you for your input! You and I have a lot in common as we both have IBS. Feel free to PM if you want and we can "compare notes" privately. My son's GI doc (he has Crohn's Disease) indicated to me that IBS is very common if that is any consolation to us. I was convinced that I had diverticulits, not IBS, but I was wrong.
I have confidence in the Mayo docs, and if they are doing it there, that is good enough for me. I still have many weeks to keep using my cream first, and I don't know what the deciding criteria will be whether I will need Botox or not. Another reason I am against the surgery is that I would probably have to take pain meds which I try to avoid and didn't take even after I had plastic surgery because all pain meds cause constipation which I want to avoid.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 11 May 2008, 21:09

Cheryl, I support you in any decision you make Image as all other members would surely do :D ! The fissure "treatment of choice" is very personal matter and everybody has to make their own decision at the end, no matter how many other experiences we hear. I just don't want you to be afraid of LIS if it ever comes to it, that was what I was trying to tell. I needed only single Perkocet for pain after surgery - nothing is painful as a fissure itself Image. I hope though that you will heal with creams only and this all will be distant past very soon for you!
All the best
Fissulyna
VIP