My AF / LIS diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My AF / LIS diary

Postby Tighta$$ » 01 Jul 2018, 18:20

These forums have been so helpful for me that I feel it’s only fair to post my experience that may help someone else in their AF healing journey.

I am day 3 post LIS surgery. I also had 2 skin tags removed at the same time. I struggled with AF for about 3 months and the pain got so severe that I was getting depressed. I would cry every day, I wouldn’t go out and the pain just wouldn’t stop. I never bled but the burning throbbing feeling would linger all day.

I began to get desperate so I researched for the best colon doc in town and set up an appointment. He exams me and unmediated diagnosed me with an AF and suggested 4 weeks of conservative treatment with Rectiv 2 times a day, warm baths 3 times per day and lidocaine for pain up to 3 times a day. I followed his directions religious and the pain just continued to get worse. I decided to go back to see him after 2 weeks for another solution. He suggested LIS as 95% success rate. I was scared (and crying... I don’t think my doc has ever seen me without tears in my eyes yet) but I knew this was my only option for recovery.

LIS surgery was scheduled for 4 days later.

Like I said I am day 3 post surgery. The surgery day was nerve wracking but it was all mental. The actually procedure was quick and I felt no pain afterwards. I was able to go home that day and was directed to take a warm bath that night. I’m glad I did, while I was still numb the bath was wonderful. I was filthy with all the surgery ointment so it was nice to clean up. I was given Norco for pain and an anti-inflammatory that I take every 6 hours for 5 days.

I didn’t have a bowl movement on day 2 but I took some Docusate stool softeners to ensure my poop would be soft. Day 2 in general was uneventful. The numbness started wearing off and I experienced some pain that warm baths would relieve nicely. It may be TMI but I was very gassy and it would just slip out without warning but my husband understood and we shared a laugh each time.

Today is day 3 and I had my first bowel movement this morning. It was soft and pain free. The area is tender and the pain I experienced was just because the incision site is raw. I have a bidet which helps to clean up before I get in the tub to soak. My pain level post surgery so far has peaked at a 5. Before surgery, I felt like I was at a 8-9 all the time so this is definitely an improvement.

So far, I have no regrets except why I waited so long to see a doctor. Pride and embarrassment gets in the way sometimes.
Tighta$$

Topics: 1

Re: My AF / LIS diary

Postby hurtinend » 02 Jul 2018, 11:39

I wish you continued healing, sounds like you located a good doctor

Just curious where you live.....where I am it takes 6 months just to get an initial appointment with a crs. For surgery, likely a year of waiting.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Tighta$$ » 02 Jul 2018, 15:37

I live in Las Vegas. When I called initially, they were able to take me in the next day. Very good doctor indeed.

I am on day 4 now and still feeling better than I did pre-surgery. I can’t sit down on a chair yet so I’m always on my side or stomach which is making my back hurt a little. I took a Norco before I went to bed last night and haven’t needed another one yet today.

I just had my 2nd BM and then took my mid day warm bath soak. My BM was nice and soft so no pain there, just a little raw and tenderness afterwards but he soak helped. I’m still taking a stool softener until I know for sure I don’t need any narcotics for pain as I’m nervous about he constipation risk. All in all, day 4 is going very well.
Tighta$$

Postby patience_and_healing » 02 Jul 2018, 23:50

Wishing you a quick recovery from here onwards! If you're willing to share, please post the name of your doctor in this sub forum tell-us-about-your-doctor-f31.html. It'll be helpful for members who are looking for doctors in the same location as you.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Tighta$$ » 04 Jul 2018, 13:50

Yesterday and today has been rough. My BMs have been very painful. A hot warm bath has helped but I still need my pain meds to overcome the after poop pain.

Still can’t sit on my butt... I hope things get better soon!
Tighta$$

Postby patience_and_healing » 05 Jul 2018, 00:46

Recovery from surgery is often not linear. You will most likely have some bad days, but as long as the overall trend is towards getting better, then you're on the right track. Take care!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Tighta$$ » 05 Jul 2018, 15:37

Today is 6 days post surgery. I had a very small BM this morning and soaked right after. I’m sore but the pain level isn’t as intense as yesterday. I tried to sit in my recliner for the first time since surgery. I was able to sit for about 3 minutes before it got a little too sore.

I finally grabbed a mirror to take a look at the damage down there. The LIS was done on my left side to which my left buttcheek is black and blue with bruises. My incision still leaks pinkish discharge. I use my bidet to rinse after every trip to the toilet to help it keep clean. The discharge smells terrible!

I’m trying to go as long as I can today with out needing the Norco pain meds. It’s about 1:30pm and I’m feeling like I may need to take one soon to ease some of the discomfort.

I have also introduced MiraLax to my daily intake in addition to the stool softener I was already taking. I noticed my BM was a little harder than I would prefer so I hope MiraLax helps to soften it even more. My doctor doesn’t want me to take MiraLax as he feels that my body will start to need it to function properly but I figure if I only use it temporarily while my incision and AF heals, I should be ok to wean off of it.
Tighta$$

Postby clarissairene » 16 Aug 2018, 11:29

Hey!! How are you feeling now? Its been a month. Pain get any better? I have mine done on Setpember 26th and just HOPING it works out for me.
clarissairene
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2