Post Surgery Advice? (LIS, fissurectomy, skin tag removal)

After surgery questions... sulfadiazine?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post Surgery Advice? (LIS, fissurectomy, skin tag remova

Postby JaiShriRam » 31 Jul 2018, 08:13

Hi Guys, just wanted to ask you guys if any one has had issues with lot of blood during BM when prescribed Flagyl (Metridonazole) ???
I was prescribed yesterday morning by my CRS out of the blue during my 1st follow up post-op. I have taken just 2 doses and my BMs have been a blood bath. Sorry for being gory but I am worried ... Is this normal ? I am taking ibuprofen 400 also....
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby PreggoAF » 31 Jul 2018, 10:37

Maybe it’s the ibuprofen because it thins the blood? I haven’t had to take antibiotics (knock on wood) after this surgery so I don’t know about the Flagyl. I see my CRS on Thursday for my post-op
Chronic fissure: January 2018
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
LIS, tag removal, hems banded: July 2018
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby patience_and_healing » 31 Jul 2018, 10:51

Can you identify if the blood is coming from the surgery wound or internally? You may need to get tested for cdiff. What preggoaf said also makes sense, ibuprofen can cause increased bleeding. It can also cause diarrhea. Perhaps another painkiller would be a better idea.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby JaiShriRam » 01 Aug 2018, 10:18

Hi Guys, guess what! The severe bleeding was due to Flagyl or Ibuprofen. I skipped a dose last night and today I had 2 BMs and none had any traces of blood. So now I need to check with my CRS whether I need an alternative to Flagyl.

By the way, did any of you need an antibiotic as a preventative step post surgery ? I know people take it to cure an infection but has anyone been prescribed just to avoid an infection ???
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Postby PreggoAF » 01 Aug 2018, 11:22

Oh I bet that’s a relief! At least the antibiotics aren’t forever and you can always switch from ibuprofen to Tylenol if you want. I wasn’t prescribed antibiotics as a preventative, but know that it’s sometimes done for LIS.
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JaiShriRam » 01 Aug 2018, 11:29

Thanks PreggoAF, how are you feeling now ?? Hope you are doing better ....
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Postby PreggoAF » 01 Aug 2018, 12:40

Jai, my incision site still hasn’t healed and weeps a little and feels sore. I’m hoping there’s no infection. I have to stay on my Miralax and magnesium because I still get mild discomfort and mild spasms if my bowel movement is too firm. The good news is that I can pass larger stools than I did before so my muscle has definitely loosened up l, though I don’t think it’s as loose as it was before I had the fissure. I’m not sure if the fissure is open or healed but the area doesn’t bother me too much unless I have a firmer poo. So things are moving in the right direction, just a lot more slowly than I anticipated.
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 01 Aug 2018, 16:24

I wouldn't take antibiotics unless is was life an death our bodies can actually fight infections an I wouldn't never take them as a preventative! PreggoAF sounds like your doing well keep positive great to hear your muscle can open to a more normal size now that helps alot ay hehe
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Da_butt_tho » 01 Aug 2018, 17:04

Hello all! Sorry for the delay- work has been crazy!

I hope everyone has been doing well (or as good as can be expected)!

PreggoAF and Sarah - I hope you are getting along well, especially with children! (Side note- did your CRS mention anything about possibly needing a c-section if you decided to have a child after LIS? In the US docs are pretty C-section happy as it is, and my husband and I haven’t had children- so I was a little nervous to have read that somewhere on the boards.)

I appreciate everyone’s take on fiber as well- I’ve actually stopped the supplement for now and have been doing well thus far w softeners and magnesium... however- slightly embarrassing- today I simply sat down on the toilet (I have a “squatty potty” that may have not helped) and felt a small rip! No BM, just a rip and a bit of blood... I’m a bit flabbergasted, but will just try to re-heal... altho it sounded like some of you have had tears after LIS as well?

Jai- thank you also for your “recipe.” I may have to try the concoction your mentioned!

And Mike- I hope you are feeling better! Many healing vibes to you!
Da_butt_tho
Fibre Addict

Postby Da_butt_tho » 01 Aug 2018, 17:06

Oh - also, I was prescribed antibiotics proactively... I generally try to never take them, but I was a bit scared having wounds in the same area as BM (I also had a fissurectomy at the same time as the LIS). I tried to balance the antibiotics with probiotics, and all seemed well?
Da_butt_tho
Fibre Addict