Had my LIS

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had my LIS

Postby Jase1 » 25 Aug 2018, 03:09

Hi everyone,

Had my LIS op last Thursday 16-08-18
I’ve suffered with this fissure for too long maybe 5 years. I’ve had all the creams / Botox to no avail. So I decided to have the surgery LIS. I researched the procedure and sort of knew what to expect. After the surgery I felt fine, a little sore but that’s to be expected. My first bm was on the 3rd day which was very painful and a little blood but to my horror After passing the stool I had horrendous pain what felt like the right side of my butt cheek near my anus which didn’t feel right as I was led to believe the surgery would be inside. After an hour or so the pain stopped (painkillers) I showered but when I tapped dried my bum I looked at where the pain was coming from and to my surprise there was a cut about 2-3 inches from my anus to my butt cheek. I wasn’t told anything about this which is anoying. I’d understand if the surgeon had to do the procedure another way but not being told about it is not good. Ive tried to contact the hospital to find out what it is but I’m still waiting. I’ve tried to research online but can’t find anything until I found this forum so I’m hoping you guys / gals might know. I’ve had several bms and all painful but even more so with that extra wound outside of my anus. It’s been 9 days and I’ve had another bms this morning but this time there was a lot of blood and pain is this normal ? And if someone has had similar cut on the outside how long did it take to heal and for the pain to go ? Did it work ?

Thanks
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Had my LIS

Postby FissureLegend » 25 Aug 2018, 20:55

Jase - What you are seeing is the LIS incision. Have you watched any LIS surgery videos? The cut is made outside and the sphincter muscle is pulled through the incision and completely cut. I agree it does look weird and I was freaked out by the open wound too. I'm more than two weeks post op and the incision is still leaking. Be prepared to to wear pads for awhile. Always shower after a BM too, keep it clean. Good luck
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jase1 » 25 Aug 2018, 22:42

FissureLegend wrote:Jase - What you are seeing is the LIS incision. Have you watched any LIS surgery videos? The cut is made outside and the sphincter muscle is pulled through the incision and completely cut. I agree it does look weird and I was freaked out by the open wound too. I'm more than two weeks post op and the incision is still leaking. Be prepared to to wear pads for awhile. Always shower after a BM too, keep it clean. Good luck

Thanks for replying, appreciate your feedback.

I’ve watched videos on YouTube but everyone I’ve watched on LIS they have all been cut internally so thats what I’m basing my confusion on. The dr didn’t even mention cutting outside. I did ask about how long surgery takes and he said it takes 2 mins to do but it actually takes longer to get me asleep. I definitely wasn’t prepared for the pain from the outside wound. Yeah shower straight after but my problem is that when I’m at work I can’t shower so I use baby wipes ( non perfum). Do you still get pain from the surgery internally and the outside wound ?

Thanks
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby FissureLegend » 26 Aug 2018, 10:46

We're in the same boat. My CRS was very vague on what he was going to do. Initially he told me he'll perform a sphincterotomy (LIS), but when he came to visit me before I was wheeled into the OR, he told me both sphincterotomy and fissurectomy. Is it possible you were watching fissurectomy vidoes?

I agree, having a BM at work sucks. We take so much fiber that it's impossible to delay the inevitable!

I am exactly 17 days post op and everyday has gotten better. I don't have any pain during BMs or the incision site anymore. It use to be uncomfortable sitting down, but that all changed several days ago. There is some minor burning/discomfort after a BM but that dissipates quickly. My biggest issue now is the wound leakage. Do you have that too? In the beginning I thought it was leaking stool but I'm 99% sure its from the LIS incision. I literally have to change pads 3X a day. I was told to expect leakage for possibly 6 weeks which is annoying, however no pain BMs are worth it for now.
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby Jase1 » 26 Aug 2018, 11:12

I literally put lateral sphincterotomy in the google search and videos from YouTube came up. So in arches those. Any idea what I should be watching ?

Yeah I get some sort of leakage but not sure where from as it’s on the dressing it does smell though. It’s great you don’t get pain. I’m Desperate for that day lol
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 26 Aug 2018, 11:55

This one shows the procedure. I had this done myself, with the incision about a 1/4 inch from the anal opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxSEoWwqCM
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby FissureLegend » 26 Aug 2018, 12:02

yeah the smell is horrendous. But that too has decreased some. This is the video I watched of the sphincterotomy which shows the incision on the outside of the anus, then the actual muscle is pulled out and cut. My incision is on the left side though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9NjnA7fdNk

Hope you're pain free soon!
FissureLegend
Fibre Addict

Postby Jase1 » 26 Aug 2018, 12:20

chachacha wrote:This one shows the procedure. I had this done myself, with the incision about a 1/4 inch from the anal opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxSEoWwqCM

Brilliantl, thank you !
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby Jase1 » 26 Aug 2018, 12:23

FissureLegend wrote:yeah the smell is horrendous. But that too has decreased some. This is the video I watched of the sphincterotomy which shows the incision on the outside of the anus, then the actual muscle is pulled out and cut. My incision is on the left side though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9NjnA7fdNk

Hope you're pain free soon!

Thank you, I’ll have a look.

I need to start looking for different things to eat that will help. I’m only having high fibre cereal at the mo and drinking plenty water and some sugary medicine to soften my stools.
Jase1
Fibre Addict

Postby Jase1 » 27 Aug 2018, 16:31

HumptyRumpty wrote:Hi Jase do you like veggies? Cucumber soft boiled carrots sweet peppers cherry tomatoes soft leafy greens.

How about berries?

Some dried fruit are good too.

Hi humpty, I like all but wasn’t sure which ones incase any irritated my wound. Had a small bm earlier and the pain was terrible I’ve still got it now but not as bad after a painkiller. It’s my 12th day post lis hoping I turn a corner soon. I know everyone is different but any ideas on when I should feel better as in less pain and wound to heal
Jase1
Fibre Addict