Successful Fistulotomy NO NARCOTICS

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Successful Fistulotomy NO NARCOTICS

Postby allbehindmenow » 30 Apr 2019, 15:23

My topic was deleted. So I am reposting
I am a 45 year old male who developed a perianal abscess from holding my poop during the work day and then straining to get it out when I got home. I was lucky enough for my abscess to rupture on its own and then form a fistula, yay lucky me. Pre-operatively I managed my fistula for months prior to surgery and had very little drainage, bleeding or pain. I started taking curcumin, mankua honey and silicia, which is homeopathic, internally. I took Curcumin 750 mg 2 morning and 2 at night. My wonderful wife applied a paste of turmeric, mankua honey and oil of oregano topical to the external opening multiple times a day. When she couldn’t help me, I did it myself, but it was extremely helpful when she was able to do it. She also was able to see when the external opening was closing over and was going to start to form another abscess. When this would happen, I would be in some discomfort with pressure. She could see it turning purple with a blue line appearing through the middle... no clue what that was. I would sterilize a needle and she would open just the top of the external opening and let the fluid release. During my consultation with the CRS, we explained that process and he said she basically deroofed the external opening. I was infection and drainage free for months before my surgery. I feel it was due to the Curcumin mainly. I had to stop Curcumin 2 weeks prior to surgery and during that time my wife had to occasionally squeeze it like a pimple to release the pressure. It still wasn’t what I would call painful just more like a pressure sensation. We were trying to keep all fluid out of it prior to surgery. I suggest Curcumin, mankua honey and silicia. I tried all kinds of alternative medicines to not have surgery and spent a fortune. I do feel they helped control the fistula and got me in great condition to have a successful fistulotomy. I went into the surgery completely infection free. Start taking Fiber and a stool softener to get your poop right prior to surgery. Do not wait until after surgery, that is too late! I went into surgery with my poop perfect. !!!IMPORTANT!!! Find a GOOD CRS. Do your research. I went to three CRS before I found the best one who knew what he was taking about. The first CRS wanted to do a cutting seton, which the other two said was archaic and barbaric. The second one wanted to do the LIFT procedure, which would have led to two surgeries. The last one suggested and then performed a fistulotomy. I had an intersphincteric fistula with a superficial internal opening, but the tract was a low and only involved minimal muscle. He said no chance of incontinence at all!! My surgery was so simple! After surgery I went on a high protein diet but no red meat, no pork or processed meat for wound healing. I have been doing protein shakes in the morning, very low soy, with hydrolyzed collagen peptides. This helps rebuild skin. I drink at least 128 oz of water per day.
Here is my experience so far:

Monday surgery day. I got there for check in at 11:30 and went back to surgery at 12:52. My wife was told at 1:02 surgery had started. At 1:19 my wife was talking to the doctor. I left the hospital at 2:15 and my wife took me out to eat. We got home and it was a beautiful day so I went outside and watched my kids jump on the trampoline. I walked around the yard a good bit that day. I highly recommend the local numbing injection Exparel. I was totally numb afterwards and didn’t take any pain meds at all. Be prepared though I was so numb that I actually had the walking farts because I couldn’t feel anything. I pooped prior to my surgery, so luckily, I did not have to poop after surgery. Also, they recommended diffusing eucalyptus for pain relief.

Tuesday Day 1, after surgery. I woke up 8:30 with some discomfort. The numbness was slightly wearing off. I did a sitz bath, took Ibuprofen and managed discomfort. I started alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenol every 3 hours with no need for a narcotic. Once one round of Ibuprofen, one round of Tylenol, one dose of curcumin and two sitz bath, I was discomfort free. Had to take Miralax and Colace because of fullness in my lower belly. I needed to poop but didn’t want to push. Had very loose poop with no pain, no blood and very little drainage. Did 3 sitz baths and 2 more after 2 bm’s. I used a perianal bottle and Pampers pure wipes to clean (water only wipes), then sitz bath with Epsom salt and plain Dove soap. I would also put some soap in the perianal bottle to wash with as well. Pretty much discomfort free all day. Walked a lot and stood up to encourage blood flow. Made it through the night no Ibuprofen or Tylenol.

Wednesday Day 2, after surgery. I went all night no Ibuprofen or Tylenol but woke up a little sorer. After sitz bath one round of Ibuprofen, one round Tylenol, discomfort lessened. Had loose bm with no pain at all and did my normal cleaning. Took second round of Ibuprofen and curcumin. Read that curcumin is a natural pain reliever. Incision area is a little tight and uncomfortable today. But I have managed to make breakfast, coffee, make the bed up, take my kid to piano and take multiple walks today. The less you sit and lay around the better, of course without heavy exertion. Still no narcotics at all.

Thursday Day 3, after surgery. I woke up mild discomfort took sitz bath took Tylenol and Ibuprofen alternating for discomfort. I am still taking MiraLAX and Colace and drinking lots and lots of water. My poop doesn’t hurt because I do not try to strain at all. I do not go until I’m ready. I took many walks to stimulate need to poop. I tend to have more pressure and discomfort when I need to poop. Still doing my normal clean up, perianal bottle, wipes, sitz bath. Biggest discomfort I have today is not the incision but around the anus itself. It is more of a raw feeling like I have had diarrhea and wiped to hard. Took Ibuprofen three hours after Tylenol but didn’t really need it, I am just trying to stay on top of discomfort, so I can continue feeling as good as I have. I have had no loss of energy, no fatigue, no loss of appetite. I am getting very bored, so I went to go to the grocery store and grilled something for dinner tonight. The only new aggravation today is a little drainage, however Dr. said to expect major drainage a few days afterwards. I can’t say it is major at all. Its light in the feminine pad I’m wearing, yes, I am a male wearing a feminine pad on my ass.

Friday Day 4 after surgery. I had my worse pain so far at 5am! It was my fault though, I did not take my Ibuprofen and Tylenol combo like I should I have. I only took Tylenol and went 12 hours without Ibuprofen. I woke up at 5am in my first ever pain episode, not discomfort but actual pain. I woke my wife up because it was pretty bad. I would say a 5 to 6 on a 10 as the worst ever. I immediately got in a sitz bath and took Ibuprofen and did eucalyptus steam. The bath immediately relaxed the pain but was still high. My wife found pressure points which also help ease the pain. I sat in tub for an hour while she massaged pressure points. I finally got relief and laid back down at 6:00am and slept until 10:30, even on my back. I have been more sore today but honestly it feels like my stitches are pulling like they are trying to come out. I went to the grocery store, got my wife gas in her car and straightened up house while my wife worked from home. I still have only taken Ibuprofen and Tylenol and no narcotic. When I was out shopping I felt like one of my stitches popped and drainage came out. When I got home my wife looked and the stitch seemed to have released. The drainage and blood are definitely picking up today. Since the stitch loosened I honestly feel good. At one point I would say pain at a 0.5. Getting ready for bed and took my last sitz bath and shower once again feel really good, hardly any discomfort pain still 0.5 if any, minor raw feeling. Biggest advice hands down, do not miss a dose of Ibuprofen or Tylenol at all, this is where I messed up today, I learned my lesson today.
Saturday day 5 after surgery. I woke up at 7:00am with my butt burning not hurting. I found out the massive amount of draining and bleeding that the doctor said would happen finally happened. I have very sensitive skin and the drainage is irritating my skin. I took Ibuprofen and did a sitz bath and immediately felt better. Today has been my best day yet, minus this aggravating drainage. I even helped my wife clean the house today. I can’t vacuum or mop but I was able to everything else. I went to the store and the entire family went to the movies to see Avengers, so therefore I sat in a movie for 3 ½ hours no problem, fantastic movie by the way. I continued taking alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen during the day but honestly each time I did not have any pain but took anyways. Tomorrow I am going to ween myself off of Tylenol. Today is the first day my wife can see the fistulotomy tract. Prior to today it had been swollen with stiches pulling so tight it was hard to see. We can see new tissue starting to form already.
I plan to continue posting updates every few days. I just wanted to get this out there in case anyone was struggling like I did trying to find GOOD stories about a fistulotomy surgery. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE HORROR STORIES!!!!!!!
allbehindmenow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Successful Fistulotomy NO NARCOTICS

Postby chachacha » 30 Apr 2019, 22:41

Our forum members should not take any products, or apply same, unless their doctors first approve it. Nor should they take a needle and lance anything, because infection could ensue. I'm glad that things worked out well for you though, and your recovery diary will hopefully be of use to other sufferers.

Your post was deleted because you have made the same post in two different places (here and in the success story thread). Please advise which thread you would prefer to keep, because when forum members respond, it can become very confusing.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby allbehindmenow » 30 Apr 2019, 22:52

Hi chachacha, I posted in both forums because when I was doing all my research when I developed a fistula I look under both of these forums and I used information I saw from both of them. I was just trying to get the information out there under all platforms. Most people do not take the time to write good stories it is all horror stories and I wanted it to be out there how great my surgery and recovery has been to give hope to people. I searched hours upon hours to find the good stories. That is why I chose to have under both forums. Is that a problem??? Someone actually reached out with a question today and I never got to respond before it was deleted. I just want good news out here!!
allbehindmenow
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 30 Apr 2019, 23:17

How about I just close your thread in the Fistula Success Stories to new posts then? Our members can then read the "good news", but it won't become confusing if there are two identical posts in two places? They can respond to your post in the "FISTULA - are you having surgery" thread and before I close the success story, I will provide a link to the other post? Does that work for you?
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby allbehindmenow » 30 Apr 2019, 23:22

Sure that sounds good. Just trying to help people head the good stuff!
allbehindmenow
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 30 Apr 2019, 23:24

I know you are. I'll do that now.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby allbehindmenow » 05 May 2019, 00:04

Just wanted to post an update this has been so simple!

Sunday day 6 best day yet. No pain or discomfort. The stitches finally came out. I did not take Tylenol today took Ibuprofen but honestly didn’t need it. Had a lot more drainage today. The drainage has definitely picked up a lot. This has caused me to itch some but honestly I feel great today. Went to Walmart, grilled supper again, went to Church event at night. I feel great. The wound is already healing. Great day and feel great.

Monday day 7 felt great. Took Ibr three times but didn’t need at all! Just took to make sure. Cleaned all inside windows, wiped all window frames, took curtains down and washed all curtains in house. Took my kid to school, picked her up and pass football and softball in the front yard together. Still doing 3-5 Sitz baths and after every bm. Still lots of drainage today. So I used the perianal bottle with epsom salt in between baths to clean the drainage. I can finally see the entire fistulotomy tract today. I am cut from old external opening all the way to my rectal opening. It one long opening. I am waiting for drainage to lessen.

Tuesday day 7 post op. I tried to go without Ibuprofen today and also tried to clean all the doors and door frames in my house. By 11:30 I started feeling pressure and decided to take Ibuprofen and stop cleaning doors. I immediately took a sitz bath and felt pressure go away. I should have washed the walls with a swiffer and avoided squatting and standing, but I still went to get my kid at school, grocery shopping, kids doctor appointment and kids basketball practice. So it hasn’t stopped me. Also the drainage seems to be some less today.

Wednesday day 8 Took Ibuprofen in morning but didn’t need it. I started washing walls today got my kid from school went to town and went shopping all afternoon with her. Came home grilled supper. Later that night I had a lot of drainage and actually had slight pressure and burning. I cleaned the drainage off and it felt better but took Ibuprofen just in case and did a sitz bath. I was fine. I think I am just super sensitive to any sensation down there.

Thursday Day 9. Great Day! Took Ibuprofen in morning but didn’t take any rest of the day. I washed walls, went to dentist because I need a crown... lucky me, washed clothes, straightened up house, took kid to ball practice. Drainage has drastically lessened!

Friday Day 10 post op went for my 2 week post op visit! So excited I am healing great. I have been released back to everything except no swimming until the drainage totally stops, which means the wound is healed. No ibuprofen at all today! The drainage is lessen too. Could go back to work but I work in the field so decided one more week just to make sure for sanitary reasons after using the bathroom.

Saturday day 11 post op. No pain meds. Fine went to an all day basketball tournament of my daughters sat in bleachers all day. Only changed gauze pad twice all day. Best day yet!!!!
allbehindmenow
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 05 May 2019, 09:16

Wow! It sounds like you're doing really well. And nothing is more fun than watching your kids play sports. It's something I miss terribly (now that they're grown up).
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby woeisme » 08 May 2019, 02:41

That's great allbehindmenow! I was the user who originally responded to your post. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. What did you eat post surgery? Did you adhere to a liquid diet or resume a normal diet following surgery? I still can't believe you drove day 1 post op! Did you use a pillow? Besides curcumin, are you on any other supplements or vitamins? Also, did you have any packing in your wound/did you have to pack it after surgery? I am so thrilled you are doing well! It definitely gives me hope that a fistuolotmy doesn't have to be as painful as others have experienced.
woeisme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby allbehindmenow » 08 May 2019, 06:11

Hi woeisme. I sent you a private message once my post was deleted to try and answer all your questions that I remembered. I was able to resume a normal diet after surgery, went out to eat right after surgery!!! I even went in the restaurant and sat normally! I chose to eat a very high protein, high fiber diet. High protein aids in wound healing, no red meat, no pork it can cause bacteria. I am still eating this diet until all the drainage stops which means the wound is healed. I eat a protein shake for breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of fish, chicken or eggs. Lots of veggies and fruit. I did not use anything when I drove. I never hurt that bad. I was able to sit normal without pain the entire time. There were a few times I had to readjust but nothing major. I did receive a local numbing injection called Exparel that had the potential to last 72 hours. That was a life saver and I would highly recommend it to anyone!!!! I took miralax for two days after surgery because you don’t want to push during a bm. I had to stop that bc it became too loose. I am still on Colace, multivitamin and fiber. Fiber is my new best friend. I would recommend fiber and Colace prior to surgery. You have to get your poop right before surgery. Waiting until after surgery is too late. My wound was stitched open, I believe that is called marsupulization. This allows the wound to heal from the inside out and the wound not to start to heal to early. Packing was never mentioned.. honestly my wound wasn’t even deep enough for it. The stitches came out in 6 days. Yes do not believe the horror stories. Also go to a good experienced CRS! The surgeon is crucial in how well you do! I have never posted on anything like this but I was so scared before surgery after reading all the bad stories that once I had done so good I had to post good news!!! Hope this helps!
allbehindmenow
Fibre Addict