Chronic fissure: Urinary Symptoms

Bizarre urinary pattern

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Chronic fissure: Urinary Symptoms

Postby elias » 20 Nov 2020, 16:18

Hello:

I'm new to the forum.

I've had fissures on and off over several months. They usually heal on their own rather quickly. I believe those r driven by my longstanding IBS and the perpetual straining I need to do for BM's

This time around i got a chronic fissure. I can deal with the pain after BM's with OTC meds

However,it seems I've developed some very odd urinary symptoms which I'm wondering if an anal fissure can cause?

The symptoms are such that I'm awakened often from sleep feeling urge to urinate. But often a sense of fullness in rectum as well. Sometimes I can't tell if I need to pee or to poop..

The most alarming part of this is when I go through the motions of urinating and nothing comes out at all. This is extremely alarming!! However, when this happens I can always get a fairly ok stream going by somehow forcing a bowel movement. I can usually do this by inserting my finger into my rectum. But often enough, just straining to defecate completely restores urinary function! I know neither of these maneuvers r good for fissures, but when I do gotta pee, I have little choice..That's the weird part. A BM seems to restore urinary stream..

ALSO: These particular urinary difficulties happen only when I'm awakened from sleep with urinary urgency. NEVER while fully awake during the day!

At these specific urinary episodes, I'm usually not feeling any fissure pain, though I often had some bad pain hours before going to bed...

I should add that hours prior to going to bed, I very often do have bouts of high tension/spasm in my rectal muscle, often accompanied by urinary frequency and urgency, but not those very weird sensations described before. That only happens when I wake in middle of sleep. Those too seem to resolve partially with a BM

These particular urinary symptoms developed a few weeks ago..I've had the fissure for somewhat longer time.

So here are my questions:

1) Can an anal fissure cause anything like I described above? If so, any idea why? Has anything vaguely similar to this been reported in medical literature in terms of anal fissures causing something like this?

2) If anyone here has experienced anything similar along with fissure, how did you deal with it?

3) Approximately how long after fissure resolved do the urinary symptoms associated with anal fissure resolve?

I should be getting Diltiazem preparation via my Gastro's office very soon, so that should help with the fissure. I'm way more disturbed about the urinary symptoms at the moment. And if there might be some connection?

Thanks so much

~elias
elias

Topics: 1

Re: Chronic fissure: Urinary Symptoms

Postby Savaici » 26 Nov 2020, 08:38

Definitely see a urologist. Urinary problems are not to be left.

And read similar posts that you will see at the bottom of this page.

:smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby elias » 01 Dec 2020, 19:36

Thank you, Savaici

I had omitted some medical background from my original post in interest of brevity:

I have diagnosis of chronic non-bacterial prostatitis (often called: Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome) It does not respond to antibiotics-as there is no infection- but does respond to stress reduction and good control over IBS. I do get periodic brief flareups of this. Have had several urological consults and had urological workups, but in general there's little urologists can do about this condition. I was advised to search for the trigger of symptoms and attempt to control those triggers when possible..

I posted about those odd symptoms which seemed to come on with a very stubborn fissure so that I can get a sense if this chronic fissure is possibly a trigger for the symptoms I described. For those who do get urinary symptoms connected to AF, what are the symptoms like? How do you cope with them? Do they resolve as fissure heals or take longer?

I do see now that in the past, people on this forum did in fact post about similar symptoms. Wondering if anyone here now does get these..
elias

Postby Oldfordlover » 03 Jan 2023, 22:04

I know it's been years since you posted this but I too have chronic non bacterial prostitus. I am currently suffering with a bad fissure for 9 months and it's sure acting up my prostate symptoms. How are you doing now?
Oldfordlover
Fibre Addict